“Incredibly beautiful”

Pocosin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Easy to visit. So quiet and beautiful. Birds everywhere. I am not a birder but for those birders who stay at my Inn in Windsor, this is a favorite spot. I always send them to this area.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Took the birding tour through Friends of the Pocosin Wildlife Refuge, which started promptly at 6:30 AM. About 10 of us packed into a large van to make the rounds of seeing Tundra Swan and other birds. First stop was the main observation deck where we remained for about 40 minutes. It was deathly cold but worth the thrill of hearing and seeing first the geese as they left the water to venture out into farming fields. Then swans took flight. I got about 4gb of videos and pictures. We were in stunned silence for most of this. Some people has large cameras with long lens while others had a simple canon. The sunrise was also stunning as it rose above the horizon. Being in the van felt a little small for but at least we were warm. We made other stops but one particular stop along farmland exposed us to immature eagles and falcons as they aimed for pray. Again we were silent and amazed. Everything about this trip was grand. People, frozen but happy to see the wilds of eastern NC, playing witness to the rare migratory bird. After the tour ended around 10:30, I went out on my own to see more of the refuge. There are many who do this and just about all of those I met were informative with the bear they just saw and the like. The morning tours can be a challenge to get if you live several hours away. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Plymouth the night before and it was okay. I had a room in the back and you could hear dogs barking but no big deal. I bring a small fan on overnight trips to create white noise and block out distractions. You will want to do the same if stay there.
Pocosin was so beautiful I decided to stay a second night and do the birding tour on my own the following morning. I was able to see these natural events 2 mornings in a row and I am changed for it all. Eastern NC has a rich history fully endorsed by the wonderful migratory birds that visit us annually. Go and be amazed.

5  Thank Mary S
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Worth a trip, and be certain to pack what you need.
Canoe, hiking, photography, fishing. Something for everyone.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

So exciting! Last year my family went on the evening bear tour sponsored by Friends of the Pocosin Lakes NWR. We saw 17 bears on the tram tour. The tram stopped so we could take pictures. It was amazing. On the trip were 2 people from the Muesum of Natural Sciences so we learned alot. It is very dusty. We were covered in dust. They give you painters masks but make sure to have protective eye wear. I would also bring a change of clothes for your car ride home. It's worth the dirt!

1  Thank EllieHun
Reviewed September 4, 2012

In June, I attended the bear tour at Pungo Unit of Pocosin Lakes NWR with several friends. We saw 21 bears while on the tram tour; they were in fields, a tree and on the road....bears everywhere. The gravel refuge roads are very dusty so be prepared with eye protection and a dust mask or handkerchief. This was a wonderful adventure made even better by the refuge staff and Doris, a member of the Pocosin Friends Group. They provided transportation as well as information about the refuge and animals. Generally, a NWR is not as scenic as a National or State Park because it is designed to be an effective habitat for it's residents. You'll see miles of soybeans, corn, and other crops and irrigation ditches. Go get dirty and look for bears if you get the opportunity. There was no set fee for the tour but donations were gratefully accepted to benefit the refuge.

3  Thank goneagain2