“Pretty Bad”

Cuisines: Mexican
Elkin, North Carolina
“Pretty Bad”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

My husband and I went there at lunch on a Tuesday and the place was almost empty. That should have told us to wonder. Husband got fajitas which were fine for him, but how hard is it to make grilled peppers, onions and meat? I had the chili rellenno with a enchilada and both were pretty awful. The enchilada was filled with mystery ground meat with a hard stale corn shell and nothing else. The rellenno had the same nasty meat with no poblano pepper at all! Just 2 wads of meat drowning in fake white cheese. I told the server about it and he looked at me like I had horns growing out of my head and reacted with a big "huh?". When the manager/owner/cashier asked us how the meal was, I told him about the chili rellenno and rather than say anything like, "I'm sorry, how can I make you happy, ...", he proceeded to give me a lecture that a rellenno was made from poblano peppers and blah, blah, blah. Nothing about me telling him that there was NO PEPPER in my dish. Love how he thought blowing me off was customer service. First and last visit!

• Visited December 2013
6 Thank Livewiretrading

Clemmons, North Carolina
“Really Good Mexican Food”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This is the place for really good authentic Mexican food. Always cooked to order and it comes out hot and fresh. The service is very quick and the chips and dip is bottomless. I usually go with the nachos especial and the wife gets the nachos salad that comes in the big shell. The facilities are clean with a 99 grade as of last week. The best thing on the menu is the 32 oz Dos Equis dark with 2 slices of lime on the rim for $2.50. Boy does that go with the chips. Prices are very good and the servings are LARGE. If you leave there hungry, it is your own fault.

• Visited October 2013
Miami
“Best Mexican food!”
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

This is by far the best Mexican tacos I have ever had!!!! They are authentic and delicious. The prices are reasonable and the plates are fairly large. I visit often when I'm in North Carolina.

• Visited June 2013
North Carolina
“Go There Regularly”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Have enjoyed Monte de Rey after going to all the various Mexican restaurants in Clemmons for the past 16 years. We usually eat around 11:30 on Sunday after church. My wife usually orders the Pollo Loco; I go with the Fajitas Texanas or the Speciall Dinner (which is huge). Very busy at times; inconsistent wait staff attentiveness, drops this rating from a "5" to a "4." Nevertheless, we'll continue to eat there.

• Visited August 2013
Mocksville, North Carolina
“Phone calls more important than service”
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I have been to this restaurant three times and will not go back. The food is good, but not good enough to make up for the awful service. Our salsa was cold as were our chips. Our food took 45 minutes and wasn't hot. Other patrons arriving after us got their food sooner. Worst, our waiter stayed on the restaurant phone on a private call the whole time and never brought a check. I gave up and went to register to pay where he was standing still on the phone. I was waiting quietly for him to hang up when he said, "Are you going to pay your bill or what?" I said, "You never brought one." He walked off and left me standing there while still speaking in Spanish on the phone. Someone finally came to help me but couldn't get the computer (which he said was new) to work. Then couldn't get it to take a credit card. I offered cash but they couldn't figure out the change. Even after I gave him the amount he wouldnt trust me but refused to give me my money back so we could leave. No way I was leaving a $16 tip or any tip at all so I waited. After 20 minutes trying to pay I finally got out of there. Rude and incompetent staff will have this place out of business soon.

• Visited July 2013