“Never seen a covered bridge? This one is close to I-40”

Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Claremont
Elkin, NC
157 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 241 helpful votes
“Never seen a covered bridge? This one is close to I-40”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Never seen a covered bridge? This one is close to I-40, near Hickory, NC. You should certainly stop by.

I recall it only took about 10 minutes from the nearest I-40 exit.

Visited August 2011

Winston-Salem, NC
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Beautiful spot for a picnic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

The bridge is fun to see and the area is great for a picnic! Not far from I-40 between Statesville and Hickory, NC

North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Worthwhile stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

One of the last remaining covered bridges in the region a visit here is worth a short visit. A quick 10 minute walk will take you from the parking area to the bridge. The local historial society owns and maintains the property and could use a bit more maintenance work on the grounds, but I am sure they suffer from funding issues.

Visited May 2012
Daytona Beach, Florida
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“One of the two covered bridges left in NC & worth the stop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

My mother found a picture of this bridge on the NC map. The instructions were vague (located near Claremont) but we stopped at a convenience store in Claremont and asked for directions. It is a little off the beaten path in Connor Park about 4 miles east of Claremont on old Hwy 70. The park is located along a stream and has some picnic tables.

To get to the bridge you need to follow a (wide) path through the woods. I'm guessing that the bridge is maybe about 500 feet away from the parking lot. At the time we visited, both of my parents (in their 70's) easily negotiated the path and the access to the path. I would think that someone in a wheel chair could not access the path without considerable assistance at this time. It does look like there is some work being done on the path and another wooden bridge that has to be crossed to gain access to the covered bridge.

Once you reach the bridge there are plaques and information boards that explain about the bridge history, construction and preservation. This was an enjoyable side trip and we all thought it was a nice "gem of history in the woods".

Visited July 2011