“Excellant BBQ”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Gary's is a little larger then the typical North Carolina BBQ joint but the food is excelland and you can spend a lot of time just looking at all the old signs which cover the walls.
I have eaten NC BBQ all my life and this is one of my favorite places. The meat is tender and cooked & chopped just right. The red slaw is super. Most often I get 2 sandwiches and 3 hush puppies. More then enough for me. Plus being close to Salisbury you can get Cheerwine - something else I grew up with and can't get very far from Salisbury.
One of my brothers who lives in New Jersey always stops here when he is in this part of NC and takes home a couple of pounds of BBQ. As with all good BBQ joints, Gary's has their own BBQ dip and I always have a bottle or 2 at home. How can vinegar & spices ever go bad.

Reviewed January 13, 2012

We discovered this place when my husband's sister lived in the area, she took us there. She has since passed, but we drove down this beautiful day to the Transportation Museum in Spencer, and was sure to drive a bit further to go to Garys!
I have loved BBQ all my life, and this to me is one of the best if not the best I have eaten. Good prices, friendly people. Lots of food...who could ask for more?

Reviewed November 27, 2011

With only five eateries in town, Gary's does all right. It wins in the tacky decor department, with about 400 metal signs on the wall. The barbecue is adequate but far from the top category available nearby (Lexington, Concord, or Shelby a little farther away).

Reviewed October 31, 2011

As an NC native who's recently come back "home," I've enjoyed seekinig out barbeque all over the state. So far, Gary's is the best in the Piedmont! Meat is tender, not dried out or overdone. Ambience is pure NC barbeque. Take the China Grove exit off I-85, continue about a half mile, look on your left just before the first stoplight you'll encounter. I usually go for red slaw (no mayo) with the barbeque plate (comes with 3 large hushpuppies and fries - the fries are uninteresting, prefrozen but inoffensive), add either sauce (Piedmont vinegar base or similar-to-Memphis brown sugar base) provided for you at the table. Best to sit in a booth next to the plate glass protected '56 and '57 Thunderbirds, enjoy all the memorabilia on the walls, don't try to slow down the waitresses too much, 'cause they'll be busy at the lunch hour (when we typically arrive), although they're extra nice folks when they're not sprinting. Banana pudding for dessert best to take as a to-go, since you'll be pretty full after the barbeque!

1  Thank rcamero1
Reviewed October 5, 2011

The ribs were good, tender and tasty. They were not the best ribs I've had, but all ribs can't be the best. The tomato based sauce was the most flavorful. The atmosphere was very unique with the car museum inside the restaurant.