“Fall Retreat”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chimney Rock
River House at Chimney Rock
Ranked #1 of 5 Chimney Rock B&B and Inns
Sarasota, Florida, United States
“Fall Retreat”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I are from Florida and had never been to Chimney Rock before. We were delighted the River House was right in the very best part of Chimney Rock on the river and walking distance to the restaurants and shops. We felt right at home in this ecclectic and cozy bed and breakfast. We chose to stay in one of the bedrooms upstairs where we slept like babies to the sound of the river. We awoke to a homemade breakfast by Mandy, who talked with us about things to do in Chimney Rock and nearby communities while providing us with a hearty breakfast. We loved the homemade cinnamon rolls! River House seems to attract a certain crowd, because we met some of the most intersting and wonderful people there during our 5 night stay. We had great recommendations from Mandy and the owner on fun hikes to take and different sights to see while we went to the nearby towns of Asheville, Black Mountain, Brevard and Hendersonville. We can't wait to go back to River House and the respite it offers.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river are best for the view and for sleeping to the sound of the rushing water.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rondi J, Owner at River House at Chimney Rock, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We are so happy you stayed with us and enjoyed your room and the location in Chimney Rock Village. We hope you will visit again soon and we will give you some more suggestions of places to hike and things to do!! We are so happy when a guest loves Chimney Rock as much as we do!! Come again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Glendale, Arizona, United States
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This is a nice B&B nestled next to the river. My room was on the back side, downstairs, next to the river, and I left my window cracked all night so that I could hear the sound of the river outside my room. I had a wonderful night sleep. The next morning I woke up early and walked along the river-walk up behind the shops of Chimney Rock, found a hot cup of coffee, then explored the windows of all of the shops before they were even open, and returned for a delicious breakfast with this innkeeper. This is a little gem of a B&B and I will be back. Every year I drive through this area, and this will be a regular part of my schedule each year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the inn so that you can see and hear the river.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Rondi J, Owner at River House at Chimney Rock, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! When guests publish a review, they have no idea what it means to us and to our staff who monitor this site. The two young women who work for us read these reviews ( as do our family ) and take each and every comment to heart. When a guest is kind enough to recognize their efforts and how much we all care that you have a fabulous stay in our little village of Chimney Rock, it makes their entire week and they are just thrilled. Thank you for posting this review and please remember to ask for our "Repeat Guest Discount" when you come visit us again! It has been our pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope to see you back real soon!
Bradenton, Florida, United States
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I went to the River House at Chimney Rock for a weekend getaway! And it was FABULOUS. Mandy and Rondi over at River House are so good at what they do and will go above and beyond to get anything done for you. The staff is extremely knowledgable about the local area and all that there is to offer. The house itself is idyllic and extremely unique. The history in this town and in this house is incredible. This is the area where Dirty Dancing AND The Last of the Mohicans were filmed. The River House has something to offer for everyone. There is the Chimney Rock State Park for hiking and trails, there's Lake Lure right down the road, there's antique shops all around, Asheville is only a thirty minute drive. Or if you just want a relaxing weekend, there's all sorts of books and DVDs in the living room that you can borrow. The other amazing feature about the River House is the breakfast aspect. Breakfast was delicious! There is nothing better than a good, home cooked, southern meal. Mandy, the manager, is an amazing cook and my breakfast throughout my trip was excellent! All in all, the River House was a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone. Friends of ours have gone also and fallen in love. I can't wait till I get to go back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are BEAUTIFUL but the river rooms are especially unique since they're right on the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a glowing review! We appreciate being appreciated so much!! :) We are thrilled when folks from our hometown in Florida come to the mountains and enjoy the River House so much!! We love our setting, the wonderful town of Chimney Rock, being so close to Lake Lure, and everything the area has to offer and are so thrilled when someone has a wonderful stay and takes the time to post their appreciation. Thank you so much posting something nice which means so much to our family and our staff!! Come stay again soon!!
Hi
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Me and an husband have simply fallen in LOVE with this B&B!!!!! I do not have enough words in my vocabulary to describe how amazing this place is. I will say above all the hospitality me and my husband received was something I thought was a thing of the past! Rondi ( the owner) was there the weekend we stayed and we fell in love with her! She went above and
beyond to make our stay feel like home. Our number one hesitation in staying there was because we had our 2 year old son and I don't think that would work out with the setup. Rondi was more than willing to have us and our little guy. We stayed in a room on the back right on the river and I felt like we were the only people in the place. Unless we we went up for breakfast I never even knew there was another person there. The view was gorgeous! even in August we slept with the window cracked and snoozed to the beautiful roar of the river! So private and so romantic! This place oooozes with charm and holds the most cozey and homey feeling! My mouth is watering just remmenissing about how out of this world the breakfast they served was. We were treated one morning to cinnamon buns that were made by a local restaurateur in town that just so happened to have been featured in Southern Living that month, I think that should tell you how yummy they were! The owner really took her time to spend getting to know us and tell us all about the town and where the must go places were! Like I
said I could go on and on about this place but it still would not do it justice! You will just have to go to expierience it for yourself!!! We CANNOT wait to get back!!!!
Thank you River House for making our stay so wonderful!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you so much for so many nice compliments! You don't know how much it means to us. We really take these reviews to heart and strive to listen to all our guests' comments and suggestions and use them to improve continuously. We have had so many guests leave as new friends (as is evidenced by our inn's growing friends' list on another site) and you are among that group! I appreciate you taking the time to write this review and feel you really noticed the effort we make to make sure each and every guest is happy and well taken care of! Nothing is more important to us than making sure everyone staying with us is happy, comfortable, and has everything they need to have a relaxing and cozy stay in the mountains. Thank you again for the review and we look forward to having you stay with us in our home again!
United States
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We are still shaking our heads in disbelief over our stay here. We took a chance and made a reservation, despite there not being any recent reviews on Trip Advisor. Big mistake. I actually had to make a list of the problems we had so as not to forget anything. In no particular order: The owners were not there at any time. We were "greeted" by a temporary worker and served breakfast by another temporary worker. There was no help, no one to ask questions about the area, things to do, no one to talk to about our stay. The room itself was right on the river, which was its only redeeming quality. There was a mini-golf course about 20 feet from the "terrace", and tons of people on the other side of the "river" hanging out. Once we were in our room, we had to close all the shades in order to feel as though the whole world wasn't looking in on us. The walls were incredibly thin, so we heard every step the people above made, and every noise the people in the next room made. The noise was so bad that it actually at times drowned out the sound of the water (again, the only positive thing about this place). The sheets and towels were all washed in scented detergent (I am admittedly sensitive to smells, which is why I know that I haven't been in a single hotel or bed and breakfast in recent memory that used scented detergent) and were very poor quality (the bed and the pillows themselves were terrible as well). There were no amenities....no phone, no soap in the bathroom, no toilettries, no Kleenex, no hair dryer, no iron, no CLOCK. What kind of bed and breakfast doesn't have a CLOCK? The breakfast was practically inedible....they "served" us some kind of dried-out and under-seasoned egg casserole (took one bite and left the rest), under-seasoned grits, muffins that tasted like they came from the supermarket down the block, and the worst coffee I've ever had in my entire life. All in all, this place came pretty close to ruining our weekend.

6 Thank aph03
Rondi J, Owner at River House at Chimney Rock, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
We would have liked the opportunity to address this guest's concerns in person, however we were out of town at my 30th West Point class reunion during their stay. It would have been useful if the dissatisfaction had been brought to the attention of our staff, who have always been professional and courteous to guests until this review was posted. As B&B owners, our objective is to provide a restful and peaceful environment; it appears this guest is the first to have a negative experience, as this is the only less than favorable post.
We would love to have a chance to greet you in person and provide a more pleasurable stay; perhaps you could contact us before your next trip to Chimney Rock. It appears you were very unhappy with other businesses in our bucolic little village; we can help address these concerns as well. We wish you the best. - Rondi and Jay Jennings
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband & I waited a little to late to make our reservation for the weekend at our "usual" place, so we were limited to only a one night stay. We found this B&B by total accident & they had only one room left!!! We stayed in the Bella Room & it was wonderful! We had a lovely breakfast on the deck listening to the river (there is inside dining, we chose the deck:) My only regret is that we did not find it sooner, and snag the room directly over the river!!

1 Thank Milissa A
Rondi J, Owner at River House at Chimney Rock, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We so appreciate it! Our property was vacant and abandoned for four years and we have spent the last year renovating it and getting it ready for company!! It has been a real labor of love as we are friends with the original owners who I'm sure were heartbroken to see it fall into such a state! We only just opened July 1st and have enjoyed having so many wonderful guests already. Oh, and the rooms you referenced (the three river rooms) are having hot tubs installed on their decks within the next couple weeks so you can sit out in your hot tub on your private deck overlooking the river surrounded by the little white lights which light up every deck! We are so excited about this addition to our little inn which by the way, is open year round. Thank you again for your kind words and we hope to see you again soon! Warm regards, Rondi Jennings
Mount Dora, Florida
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Someone needs to update their web sites. This Wicklow place has been out of business for over two or three years. It was recently bought on a bank foreclosure and is now run by new people, so old reviews are useless. I assume this newly renovated place will get new nice reviews, as the outside is re done and beautiful. Prices went way up though. This B & B sits almost in the river, so noise will lull you to sleep, but the views of an exposed sewer pipe all along the riverside is gross and unattractive.There is no yard, just tiny patios. The rooms have tasteful decor with lovely furniture. The new name is River House.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Kizzdogs
Thank you so much for your review and reminder to update the page which I did promptly. We have spent the last year doing a top to bottom renovation and have never used Trip Advisor...instead having our guests (since we opened this past July 1st) post comments elsewhere (another site). We have made updated photo additions to the TA site also in the last couple of days. I appreciate your kind comments about the exterior look of the River House (formerly the Wicklow Inn) and interior furnishings as I poured my heart into the renovation. We have a long family history with the property and are sentimentally attached! (Another long story). I agree with you about the pipe and have obsessed about it since purchasing the property! :) I have done some plantings (Confederate jasmine, to name one) which will climb and spread out with time and maturity. My husband also just came back from Afghanistan so we even tried camo netting, but that washed into the river with a rising water level. We are hoping that while our vegetation matures, our guests will overlook this one small negative and focus on the breathtaking views of the Rocky Broad River. Thank you again for commenting and we hope you will visit with us again in the future. The rooms on the river, by the way, are having hot tubs for two installed on their decks in the next week or two. Thank you again for your time in commenting on the River House. Rondi Jennings
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chimney Rock
#1 of 3 in Chimney Rock
Fibber MaGee's Riverfront Inn
Fibber MaGee's Riverfront Inn
#2 of 5 in Chimney Rock

Been to River House at Chimney Rock? Share your experiences!