“Children are not Welcome Here”

Fibber MaGee's Riverfront Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Chimney Rock B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I booked a room here for myself, my wife and our 2 year old son during labor day weekend. I thought that with the miniature golf course, that this was more of a family friendly riverfront lodge. After seeing this was the #1 place to stay on Tripadvisor, I called and booked a room. Nothing was mentioned during the reservation process about children not being welcome (or only welcome in the cottages). We drove 75 miles one-way, in labor day traffic. When we arrived, my son was sound asleep, and we were ready to get to our room so that he could finish his nap comfortably. I walked up to the counter to let them know I was checking in. The lady that was helping me was very kind and didn't have any issues. However, another lady saw my wife holding my sleeping son and stated "children aren't welcome here". I thought at first she was joking, but she wasn't. I told her that nothing was mentioned to me about children not being able to stay there, and she stated that it was all over the website. I didn't check the website before I booked the room, but I figured if it was that big of a deal, they would have mentioned it while I was making the reservation. One of the ladies seemed understanding, but she was overshadowed by the other one that seemed to have an attitude. I didn't want to argue, so I asked if they could recommend somewhere else to stay. I was told "I don't know anything about anywhere else". That was very rude and showed zero hospitality on her part. I got back and the car to check their website. Only on one page, and in fine print, is it stated that only children over the age of 12 are welcome. I supposed that's what she meant by it being "all over the website". By this time, every other motel/hotel in Chimney Rock was booked because of the holiday. So I had to drive 75 miles back home. I remember my parents taking me to Chimney Rock when I was a child and how much fun I had. It's hard to believe that a hotel, in Chimney Rock, with an attached miniature golf course, does not welcome children. I hate giving a terrible rating to any business, but because of this persons attitude, I had to do it.

This place may be perfect to vacationing couples, but parents beware.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank Trey A
Fibbers, Owner at Fibber MaGee's Riverfront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2011

We are sorry about the misunderstanding at our Inn. We are not a hotel, but a small Historic Stagecoach Inn. We do allow children in our cottages and Mini Golf suite. The first two questions we ask our guests when they call for reservations is: What dates are you looking for and how many are in your party . If you would have told us the room was for 3 people or that you had a child we would not reserve that room for you. That is a small queen room for 2 people and is not child proofed. We also have our smoking, children, and cancellation policy listed on our web site. We try to make everyone's experience at our Inn a special one and we have many anniversary , honeymoon and other couples stay with us for a romantic get-away. Families enjoy our Mini Golf suite and neaby cottages. Again I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

Reviewed August 16, 2011

Fibber Magee's is just a nice small welcoming place to stay in Chimney Rock. The owners are so nice and the breakfast they made for us Sunday morning was sooo good. Thanks again guys, I'll be back--

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2011

We usually stay at condos, this was such a refreshing change. Larry and Carol are such good hosts, they left fresh fruit and goodies every morning and ground gourmet coffee for
breakfast. You are right on the Broad River and it lulls you to sleep every night. We were steps away from miniture golf that we enjoy. Their gift shop is amazing. We came away relaxed and feeling great peace. Thanks for a wonderful stay!!!

Room Tip: Room 2 is great
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2010

We had a beautiful wedding on the screen entrance porch and reception in the common area.we also spent 5 nights of our honeymoon in this beautiful inn.We stayed in room 2 and it was wonderful to have a separate sitting area for our guest while we were getting ready for the wedding!!Thanks so much to Larry and Carol the owners for all they did to make our special day a dream come true!! we will be back for our first wedding anniversary. The Minton's

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Minton2010
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We stayed in the Hick'ry Nut upstairs unit. Incredible view of Chimney Rock and the Rocky Broad river from the deck & sunroom. The master bed has a memory foam topper that was like sleeping on a cloud; and there are 2 comfortable twins in the 2nd bedroom. Could basically leave the windows open at night because you are essentially 2 stories up (no one could climb in!) Fully stocked kitchen w/ full size range, everything was clean, clean! There is one TV w/ an assortment of channels, plus there are board games there too. Gas grill on deck we used to cook dinner on was a great bonus.

Sunroom/living room was where we spent hours relaxing and hanging out. Convenient to everything. Minutes from Lake Lure and Chimney Rock Park. Are already planning on going back in October to enjoy the leaves!

The store makes a great strawberry smoothie too! Neat gift shop w/ MANY rooms to browse in. Everyone who works there is wonderful!! Our family gives this whole experience / place EIGHT thumbs up!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank DiabloNC
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Our first time staying in a B&B, and it was absolutely wonderful. A terrific way to begin a relationship with a new love. We stayed for two nights, and one night we had the entire B&B to ourselves. Saturday night wine with cheese and crackers was provided, and a delicious Sunday breakfast was provided. We sat in front of the B&B on a Sunday night after everyone had left the town for the day, and it was a ghost town. We felt we were the only two people in the world. One of the most romantic adventures ever!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jerryricky
Reviewed August 6, 2010

We pulled in at closing time, as they were walking out the door, the staff reopened and showed us all the rooms available and let me tell you they each were beautiful. What a wondferful stay, trust me I have not been this relaxed in a long while. Wonderful staff, awesome breakfeast (free) not your typical hard muffins and processed biscuits, everythingthing was fresh. When you check in you pick your coffee beans and they grind it for you on the spot!!!!!!!!Love it and will be back ...............merritt island, florida

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Riverside Lodge at Chimney Rock
The Esmeralda Inn
The Esmeralda Inn
#1 of 4 in Chimney Rock

Been to Fibber MaGee's Riverfront Inn? Share your experiences!