“awful food”
Review of Duncan's Bar-B-Que - CLOSED

Duncan's Bar-B-Que
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Don't get sucked in. If you're looking for authentic Carolina bar-b-que, don't go here. You're paying to eat by the river with a view of chimney rock. The food is mediocre at best.

5  Thank Cari H

Reviewed October 9, 2013

A nice surprise for our week at Lake Lure. A short trip to the nice town of Chimney Rock and it was open! Been here plenty of times and have found Duncan's closed! I guess when they run out of BBQ they close for the day.
Had the ribs, which were fine, and of course the pulled pork. The pulled pork with their sauce was excellent. I think most people will enjoy the food from Duncan's.
Try it you might be surprised

2  Thank hdfrompbfl
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stopped in for lunch after climbing a Chimney Rock and were delighted. Don't head here for a fancy meal, or modern restaurant, but if you're looking for small town North Carolina charm then this place is perfect. The owner is sitting behind an old wooden bar right by the door, and chatted to us for nearly the whole time it took for our food to be prepared. The dining room is filled with old kitschy photos, license plates etc, and adds to the experience. I've had better BBQ, but it was better than average and very reasonably priced. Would highly recommend to someone visiting from out of town looking for a memorable experience.

1  Thank Shanryan81
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My friend and I were looking for a place for lunch, and decided to stop in this place. I was hesitant, as it is literally a small shack.

When you walk inside, the owner is sitting at the counter. He immediately told us that he only had enough sliced pork for one sandwhich or plate, and that he wouldn't have more for another four hours. What kind of barbecue place runs like that? It was a busy weekend with tourists everywhere, and he doesn't have enough sliced pork? At lunchtime?!

My friend ordered the last of the sliced pork, and I ordered 1/4 chicken. Our plates cost each of us more than $10.00 - definitely not worth it.

The orders were ready in less than five minutes. We should have left, but we had already paid. My friend said the sliced pork was dry, and definitely tasted like the "bottom of the pan." I got a leg and a thigh with some kind of sauce over it. It tasted like one of those roasted chickens you buy at the store.

We only got plastic forks, so I walked up to the counter and asked for a knife. He reached under the counter and pulled a plastic knife out of who knows where, unwrapped. Then he proceeds to tell me he doesn't like to give a woman a knife. He's been divorced for 30 years and he can still see her face. I guess it was supposed to be funny?

The place is old, run down, and not very clean. The food is NOT fresh, and certainly not barbecue. He actually told us he got his some of the meat from a supplier and "finished it off" there.

The only positive is the view of the rapids and Chimney Rock.

Don't waste your money!

5  Thank aerdna56
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Delicious, smoky, chewy chopped BBQ. Side portions have gotten a little skimpy over the years though. :-( A real treat after hiking Chimney Rock park.

1  Thank Gregory W