“Best trails are now closed - very disappointing”

Chimney Rock State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park is an international outdoor destination in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western NC, attracting visitors from around the world. Highlights include:- 75-mile panoramic views overlooking Lake Lure- 404-foot waterfall, one of the highest of its kind east of the Mississippi River- The Last of the Mohicans scenes were filmed here, and Dirty Dancing was filmed in adjacent Lake Lure- ancient geologic formations- 198-foot tunnel & elevator inside the mountain- five scenic hiking trails- guided rock climbing & moreThe Park's modernized elevator offers a handicap-accessible 35-sec. ride to the iconic Chimney, an alternative to "nature's Ultimate Stairmaster," the Outcroppings trail. Chimney Rock has something for everyone from the family-friendly Great Woodland Adventure trail to the stunning Skyline trail to Exclamation Point. Recognized as one of the Southeast’s most iconic outdoor attractions, Chimney Rock is located 25 miles southeast of Asheville on Highway 64/74A in Chimney Rock, NC.
Fort Myers, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Best trails are now closed - very disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2010

I just visited Chimney Rock Park and thought my memories must have been from another park. I went back to look at pictures from prior visits in 1994 and 1997 and confirmed that what I remembered really was Chimney Rock Park. I think it is a disgrace for the Park Service to close so many of the most beautiful trails. It's funny, the pictures I have are from the closed trails and not from the only ones open now. I believe that's because the closed trails were much more picture worthy.
Please read the review made by Kardinal Zen on 8-8-10. His review explains why...
I will add, this review asks me to recommend this attraction. I will for those people who have never been there before, you will think it's beautiful. But believe me, it's not anything close to what it was like before and you're missing a lot. Those who have been there before they closed the trails will be very disappointed.

19 Thank maggiemiller87

• Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Albany, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Good access for Disabled”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

Hats off to the Park for making so much of it accessible to the mobility impaired. Elevator WAS working when I visited. A number of the trails WERE closed. Serious hikers should look for other options. There are 1000's of them along the Blue Ridge.

hartford
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Good if you have mixed group”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

Not really great trails for anyone but beginners, youngster, oldsters, out-of-shapesters. Nice views, but better can be had on Blue Ridge Parkway nearby. But, if you have a mixed age group, Chimney Rock is a fairly safe bet.

Myrtle Beach, SC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“NC State Parks have ruined it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2010

I've been a patron of Chimney Rock Park going on 2 decades. While the park was under private ownership, the elevator was always working when I visited and all trails were open.

I have now made my 1st visit since the NC State Park Service took over, and I left heart broken and disappointed. To me, it was like visiting Disney and learning that the Castle was condemned and Space Mountain was closed.

The only way to access the Chimney top, Skyline shop and observation deck was to hike to it - for the elevator was closed. The only trails open were to Exclamation Point and the bottom of Hickory Nut Falls. The most beautiful parts of Chimney Rock are no longer open! And yet, they had the gall to charge $14 instead of the $12 I paid the last time I visited!

From what news records I can find, over 2/3 of the park trails have been closed going on 2 years. The brochures and map trails I received in the park had no mention of the top of Hickory Nut or the looping Skyline Trail - as if they never existed! The staff I talked to about the closed trails said they were permanently closed.

If this is accurate, I will not be visiting Chimney Rock again. Not until the NC State Park Service gets their act together and re-open the greatest scenic trails of Western North Carolina.

12 Thank KardinalZen
Plaquemine, Louisiana
4 attraction reviews
“"Loved it"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

We enjoyed every minute of our trip to Chimney Rock. We took the elevator since we had a 2 year old with us, but we hiked to the falls. The trail and falls were beautiful. I would definately go back and schedule more time to see all the park has to offer.