“A great place with great people”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chimney Rock
Evening Shade River Lodge & Cabins
NC
“A great place with great people”
Reviewed September 17, 2010

We are long term guests of Evening Shade in Chimney. Actually we have stayed no where else because you can't top the best! my oldest sister and her husband found Evening Shade in the early 70's, introduced it to my parents and then my siblings and now we are introducing it to our grandchildren who have a grand time playing in the river while we sometimes join them, relax in the swings or by the fire pit or enjoy a meal cooked on the grills and eaten under the gazaboo. I read some reviews and some were not to good. As they say, you can't please all the people all the time and some of the people can't be pleased any of the time. The managers they have now are the best. My sister and I sit by the fire until the early morning hours last month and the manager came to check on us and made friendly conversation. When the drink maching would not work he sent ice cold water! The next week my sister and her granddaughter went back and they loaned them a tube for the river/creek! We have always been memorized by that section of Chimney Rock...so much so my niece has brought property next door. We will continue our visits to the Evening Shade. Amenities are not needed. This resort is for relaxation, making new friends by the firepit and sightseeing. Who needs amenitities other than a clean, comfortable room with great people around.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank grdkidsrfun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed August 2, 2010

This was our first time @ the Evening Shade & it will definately not be our last. Each room has it's own theme. We stayed in the Wildflower room. It was decorated in Lavendar & White. Very Clean. Well maintained. Managers were there to help with anything special we might need. I loved the way the gounds outside was set up. It's right on the wonderful Rocky Broad River. Rushing water, kids swimmng, camp fires burning. We sat around the bombfire for hours & visited with people from all over. The price was very reasonable. I have already booked a room here for next month. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a cozy, relaxing place. A place to forget all your troubles & be at peace with the sound of the rushing water.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank sheriserge
Lancaster
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Arrived at 1pm, walked into a dark, dreary room; lighting very poor; bathroom barely able to turn around in. Room was hot so we went out for 2 1/2 hours to give it time to cool; never happened- in fact the temp kept going up; we decided to leave; manager called me to offer another room downstairs - he had already told me over the phone when making reservation that number 7 was the best of what he had available - I said no and asked if he was going to take this off my Visa. His answer was no - he wouldn't be able to rent it for the night -duh! He couldn't rent it anyway because the air was not working. Will not go back nor will I recommend to anyone!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lyndia
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Luck brought us to Evening Shade and hospitality made us stay! We were traveling and found ourselves in the beautiful Hickory Nut Gorge. Evening Shade was the first place we stopped. We looked at other places but were just wasting our time. We came back to Evening Shade and were very happy we did so. What a beautiful place! The campfire by the river is so inviting and relaxing and the hospitality of the managers far exceeds what you normally find. They were splendid! We will tell everyone we know to stay at Evening Shade and will be back often. We made a reservation for next month before we ever left!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
North Carolina
Reviewed June 12, 2010

What a sad waste of a beautiful place to stay. Owners are terrible managers. We stayed at Evening Shade under the Old Owners for years just to get away from the city. What a little piece of Heaven back then. Under the new owners we definitely can't say that. We were accused of ruining a bedspread with something black "they said" Why on Gods green earth would we destroy something in there over prices outdated rooms. We don't know to this day what happened or what we may done to deserved being accused of such damages. We had no reason to damage anything of theirs. We have heard from others that have been accused of damages there also. This is no way to treat you guest. Things happen in day to day operations but to be accused of intentionally damaging things is wrong.. I recommend Lake Lure Inn for your stay at Lake Lure. They treat you with great respect

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank italia37
Black Mountain, NC
Reviewed May 13, 2010

Evening Rest use to be our favorite place to stay in Lake Lure but it is not the place it use to be. The former owners made you feel welcome and made you want to come back again and again. It is a great location on the river, It's a shame the new owners treat their guess so badly, so bad in fact that we will never stay there ever again. I don't think they will be in business long with their attitude toward guest. Lake Lure Inn is the best place to stay, Walking distance to several nice restaurants. Very Clean and you definitly feel welcomed there.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank terryc9313
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 10, 2010

My Husband and I and my two teenage children stayed here this weekend. Couldn't have picked a better place. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The best part is the back of the lodge. Absolutely beautiful place to relax. Sit and swing by the river. Picnic areas. Fire pit. Fishing right out your back door. My son caught a trout. Cant wait to go again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
#1 of 3 in Chimney Rock
Willowbrook Inn
Willowbrook Inn
#2 of 3 in Lake Lure

Been to Evening Shade River Lodge & Cabins? Share your experiences!