“Great home base for family vacation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chimney Rock
Evening Shade River Lodge & Cabins
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My extended family stayed here for two nights, and all ten of us were delighted with the accommodations. The kids, ages 8 to 14, loved swimming in the Rocky Broad River just down the hill from our rooms, and the grown-ups loved sitting around on the porches and swings, gazing at the rushing river, Chimney Rock, and Hickory Nut Falls. The rooms were well air-conditioned and clean, and the beds were comfortable for all of us. The entrance to Chimney Rock Park is only a few minutes down the road, as are all the tourist shops and restaurants of Chimney Rock village. Lake Lure, with its incredible scenery and many options for boat rental, is only 5 minutes further along. When we left, everyone was saying, "Can we come again?"

Room Tip: If you come with kids, request a ground-level room so that you can get down to the river quickly.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank marilynpearl

Reviewed May 11, 2012

My friend and I came to Chimney Rock for some solitude and stress-free relaxation time. We stayed for two nights. The room was very comfortable and clean, and the view from our deck was magnificent. The roar of the river and chirping of the birds had the most calming effect. It was just beautiful and so peaceful there. There was a firepit at the waters edge and we decided that we would like a campfire. The owner, provided the wood and the starter and even the lighter. He set the campfire up for us and all we had to do was light it. It was wonderful. I will definitely be back to this motel for a longer visit. I didn't want to leave. I would recommend this motel to anyone who wants to enjoy the beauty of the river and the mountains. the staff made this a very pleasant stay. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 12 and it had a great view of both the mountain and the river.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank katiebug202
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I planned this trip for our Anniversary but when we pulled upon the place I thought there is no way I am staying here because it did not look like a typical hotel that I am use to. Once we checked in I was hesitant to see the room because the outside looked so old and outdated. I was surprised once we got inside our room. It was very clean and smelled clean! It was a little old fashion but that was fine as long as it was clean. I was disappointed in the beds, they were very squeaky! If there was one thing i would change it would be the beds for sure! The plus about this place was they had very clean soft bath towels and thick! The staff was very nice, they even left us a card and balloons for our anniversary.
The river in the back where our room was located was awesome! I wished we could have enjoyed the river but it was so cold that we didn't get to enjoy the sitting outside.
There isn't much to do in the area which was disappointing. There are some shops in town but not enough to keep you busy for a day and they close early. There are limited places to eat, not your typical vacation area. There was a few little places to eat in town but seemed a little expensive for the area in my opinion. We thought we would go to a grocery to get a few things to snack on but it was quite a drive and once again for the area it was a little high. This town was like a place that needed to let go or do some major updating and build up the area to make it more inviting.
We were looking for a nice place to eat for our anniversary, every one recommended La Strada. It was a very nice looking place and the view was very nice but not quite what we were looking for.Their steak was very pricey (28.99) and once again for the area I just didn't see where these prices are coming from.
We did visit Chimney Rock and it was nice but when we went it was very windy and a bit chilly.
I would not visit again just because this is town where there isn't much to do and I felt like this was a town that just needs to let go of the past. What I mean by this is using the movies that were filmed here shouldn't be what brings a person to this town because it really wasn't worth it.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the back
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank emyjoemaxx
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed at the Evening Shade after visiting Biltmore for the day. My sister and brother in law were with us and this is one of their favorite places in the Mountains. The property is nice and sits right on the river/creek. It has a lot of seating areas and they light a fire pit at night right by the creek area at 7:15 each night. The people that were managing the property for the owner are not there any longer and they were one of the reasons my sister liked the place so much. Our room (14) had a queen bed in a seperate room with bathroom and there was a small living room area with sleeper sofa and chair as well as a small dining table. There was also a full kitchen. It was equipped with most of what you needed if you wanted to cook and eat in. The whold place was very clean but there were some obvious repairs that needed to be attended to. It is right on the road so you do hear the traffic going by. Our rate was $99 a night which I think was a little high for this type of accomodation but it depends what you are looking for. It is right down the street from all the little shops and restaurants as well as Chimney Rock Park, about 20 minutes to Black Mountain and 40 minutes to Asheville. Kids would love the stream and the rocks to climb on as well as the area to run around.

Room Tip: Number 14 does have a semi seperate bedroom so it is nice to have that. The room below on the botto...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank princess0421
Reviewed September 8, 2011

beautiful.peaceful.clean. everybody is very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I read the reviews, I looked at the pictures, and based that I booked a room. Upon arriving i found the the rooms were smaller than they appeared in the pictures. They fit two beds in a room that should only have one bed in it. The bathroom you could barely too around in, and I'm not even going to mention closet space because the way I see it my question is... What closet? On a positive note, if all you are looking for is clean and cute draperies and bedding, then you will be satisfied.

I was on my 17th wedding anniversary and I was going to grin and bare it, but then I sat down on the bed and it squeeked... OMG! That did it. I WAS NOT going to stay there! We asked for a refund back and was declined because they have a 48 hour cancellation policy. How convenient!!! I did not cancel! I was not satisfied with the room. We paid $250.00 for a two night stay. I'm sorry, that room was worth that much.

I will say the desk clerk did refund one night's stay and had informed us that the lodge was a 5 star hotel (doesn't have a restaurant, you have to go to the office and ask them for ice) an proceeded to tell us that we wouldn't find anything better in town... We paid a $122.00 for a room we never stayed at, and went down the road not even a half a mile and stayed at a REAL 5 star Hotel with a FINE DINING restaurant and a GAME ROOM and a outside pool/jacuzzi with PROFESSIONS running the establishment. WE FOUND RUSTIC WITH CLASS JUST ONE MINUTE DOWN THE ROAD. So there you have it folks. I suppose it is what meets your expectations whether you want to book a room there or not. One more positive remark. The scenery in the back was extremely nice and pleasing to the eye. Too bad the outside was more alluring than the inside accommodations!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank SusieCaldwell
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Evening shade is my favorite place to go to unwind, I have never felt more relaxed after going home from a vacation. The rooms are clean, service is wonderful, I always feel at home here.

• Stayed: August 2011
#1 of 4 in Chimney Rock
River House at Chimney Rock
River House at Chimney Rock
#1 of 5 in Chimney Rock

Been to Evening Shade River Lodge & Cabins? Share your experiences!