“Great Get Away”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Chimney Rock
Salisbury, North Carolina
“Great Get Away”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

My wife, Martha and I just spent three days in the Chimney Rock and Lake Lure area of North Carolina and we stayed at the Esmeralda Inn, Chimney Rock. We stayed in a terrace room with a view of Chimney Rock and it was great. The Inn itself is absolutely beautiful and the rustic mountain atmosphere is out of sight. The service was great, the food was delicious, and the whole experience was excellent. The only thing that could have made it any better was maybe the weather could have been a little cooler. I do not think that Doug and Aileen have much control over that one. We spent a short time talking to Doug and Aileen Kelly, and they are just great down to earth folks that really enjoy what they are doing.
I highly recommend that on your next trip through the North Carolina mountains, that you stop and spend some time at the Esmeralda Inn. You will be glad that you did.
Gene and Martha Miller of Salisbury, NC

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank GeneMartha
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write this great review. We always plan on our guests having a good experience when they stay with us, but it's very gratifying to hear that we've succeeded. We'll try to put in an order for cooler weather for your next visit! It's been very warm the last few days, but it's cool inside and the Jacuzzi feels good after a day of hiking, playing golf or playing on the Lake.
There was so much care and attention to details when the Inn was rebuilt and renovated. It is beautiful and we have a great staff. I'm glad you had a great time.
We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We came to the Esmeralda for the July 4th weekend on our first getaway trip as a couple, and enjoyed it very much. We were in a middle-tier room - I forget what the name of the various tiers are - we had a lovely view of the mountains and were on the third floor. The room was on the small side, but we knew that it was going to be. It was well appointed, with a nice TV and a Bose wave radio (hooray!), and the bed was wonderful. Whenever we left to go do something and put the "Gone Fishing" (please clean the room) thing on the door, it was spotless when we got back.

The grounds are lovely and well taken care of. I enjoyed sitting on the front porch in the morning with a cup of coffee, looking up at the mountains and listening to the river just across the street. It was very peaceful.

We were in the area to do a great deal of sightseeing, and had a number of restaurants on our list to try while in Asheville, so we only ate one meal at the Esmeralda, a lunch. The food was good, and the service was attentive. The dinner menu was pricey, though, so we decided to stick to the plan of eating in Asheville.

Loved the location. Not quite in the town of Chimney Rock, but very close to it. It's about a 40 minute drive to Asheville.

The jacuzzi tub outside was wonderful. It was warmer than a swimming pool, but not "hot, which seemed just about perfect on a July morning. We probably lounged around in there for an hour.

I did notice a handful of things I found odd, or even annoying, about the place.

1. There didn't seem to be any vending machines, anywhere. This really left me scratching my head. If you got thirsty during the evening, and the restaurant wasn't open, there wasn't anything to drink but water out of the sink. We went to the grocery store on the other side of Lake Lure to get something to drink. Which would have been okay, I guess, except...

2. ...there's no ice machine. Apparently, you can go to the game room area and "request" ice, but after a certain hour which was before 10:00PM, that wasn't available. I imagine this is tied to the restaurant's hours? In any case, I found it odd. Even a little annoying.

If the two items above exist in the Inn, I never found them, or any signs directing me to them.

3. I spotted a tiny little refrigerator / wine chiller near our room in the hall. It was always full, presumably with other guests' things. So, I never did find a way to keep, or make, a drink cold. If you're thirsty before bed, and the place is busy, tap water in a plastic cup appears to be your only choice. Keep in mind that there aren't any stores close by that are open much past dinnertime.

4. The bathroom was beautifully appointed, with a stylish pillar sink. Trouble is, there isn't any place to put your things. Both of us wear contact lenses, and had with us the usual stuff in our medicine bags. The little shelf in front of the mirror fills up quickly by the time two people try to empty their toiletries onto it. My medicine bag stayed on the floor, because there was no place else to put it or most its contents.

I found the above four things a little annoying, but enjoyed other aspects of the place enough that I still gave it a 4/5. It really is a wonderful place to get away, yet isn't way too remote. We hope to come back the next time we visit the area. Hopefully, they'll have put in a coke machine or something by then. :)

1 Thank UninterestingName
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, July 23, 2011
Thank you for your review! It's our goal to make every guests' stay an enjoyable one. We are very fortunate to have a great Housekeeping staff and Chef Sean and his crew are the best. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.
Your points on missing amenities are well made. We've looked at having a vending machine in the Butlers Pantry, as well as an ice machine. However, there is a noise factor that we're still considering. There are two more small refrigerators in the Pantry on the 2nd floor. I'm sorry you were not told about these.
I understand your comments regarding the lack of counter space in the bathrooms. We've heard this comment before and are looking at possible options to give guests a little more space for things.
We appreciate your remarks and are always looking for ways to improve your experience with us.
We hope you'll be back soon! Thank you.
Pinnacle
Reviewed July 21, 2011

It was very clean, great service and great food and dinning. Beautiful location.

Room Tip: Rooms with view of Chimney Rock were great, but all rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review! You're right, the rooms with the views are wonderful, but they all have the great beds and amenities. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Come again soon.
Acworth, Georgia
Reviewed July 18, 2011

The Esmeralda sits across the street from a rushing stream whose music can be heard from the ample first or second floor porches. Sit in the rocking chairs to make the time most relaxing. We were inspired by the views of the cliffs of Chimney Rock. The grounds are beautifully maintained with all kinds of flowering shrubs and trees.

The spa area includes a hot tub that is more like a mini swimming pool. Delicious breakfasts each morning out on the deck was one of the favorite parts of our stay.

The other guests at the Inn were very interesting to meet and chat with during the wine and cheese hour. The staff is gracious and attentive. The history of the inn itself is fascinating.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank gretchenstevens
Thank you for taking time to write a review. It's hard to beat our location! The Hickory Nut Gorge is beautiful and having the river so near is wonderful. It sounds like you enjoyed all the features the Inn has to offer. The spa/patio area is fairly new and everyone is enjoying the added outdoor space and Jacuzzi. We think of the Inn as home and want all of our guests to feel the same way. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Come back soon.
Atlanta
Reviewed July 17, 2011

This was our first trip to the Esmeralda Inn and offer the following comments as we were disappointed with many aspects of our stay. After viewing The Esmeralda's website which is beautiful, we chose to stay in one of the Terrace King Bedrooms which were described as the most luxurious in the Inn, located on the second floor with "dramatic views and sounds of the Rocky Broad River". The room was small and certainly did not have a luxurious feel although the bed and pillows were comfortable. The bathroom had a small tub with shower curtain (standard hotel size) with room for barely one. They did supply two nice bathrobes, ordinary size towels and an assortment of toiletries. The room had access, as promised, to a large porch with rocking chairs but one could not actually see the river (although it is clearly heard) as the Inn is located across highway 74 opposite from the river. We stayed for two nights. After the first night, our bed was made late in the afternoon in haphazard fashion and the bathroom was not cleaned. Scattered coffee cups in the room were not removed, neither the sink nor bathtub was cleaned and dirty towels placed on the floor remained there upon our return late in the evening.

One of the reasons we chose to come to the Esmeralda was due to the new Jacuzzi spa which appeared magnificent from the photos. When we arrived, we were told it was only open between 9am and 9pm which was regrettable. The next morning with outdoor temperatures in the low 70s, we looked forward to use of the Jacuzzi after hiking but found the temperature was less than body temperature - not conducive to a relaxing experience. We notified a member of the staff who indicated they had recently had some very warm weather and possibly the temperature settings had been adjusted at that time and not reevaluated. So, unfortunately an amenity which had been an enticing feature as we evaluated multiple housing choices in the Chimney Rock/Lake Lure region, was simply not provided in a way which could be enjoyed. The breakfast experience was overall good, although other than coffee which is available only after 8:00 am, breakfast is an additional cost which is made clear on the website. Dining service was good - we had a lovely helpful waiter the first morning at breakfast - and the food nicely presented and above average in quality.

Obviously others have had much better experiences than we did, but these are our honest thoughts about our weekend accommodations from which we expected more in terms of comfort, amenities, service and value. Our sense was that although adequately staffed, management was lacking and interest in encouraging repeat business was absent.

4 Thank dances_tango
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
We appreciate our guests taking the time to write reviews. Candid comments always help any business do a better job. Every guest’s experience is different. Each comes with expectations based on previous stays in other places. If you are accustomed to, and expecting the formality of a hotel chain, we are not going to fit that model. Our staff is very friendly and accommodating. The Inn has a rustic feel, but with exceptional furnishings and extras. It is our goal to make every guest comfortable and to do whatever we can to accommodate their requests. We want our guests to enjoy their time with us, take away good memories and of course, we want them to return. But, as any innkeeper can tell you, sometimes in spite of your best efforts, nothing is going to make a guest happy.

I‘d like to clarify a couple of things. We are an Inn, not a hotel chain, so our rooms are not going to be as large. Our nicely remodeled bathrooms do have a standard size tub, but then we don't advertise two-person tubs.
We are located across the street from the Rocky Broad River. Highway 74, as it runs through the Chimney Rock and the Lake Lure area, is the equivalent of a small town street - two lanes, not much traffic. The rooms are not overlooking a busy street or highway and you can see the river.
Housekeeping refreshes a room once a day. If towels are used after that, we are happy to replace them upon request. We have a very high cleanliness rating with the Department of Health, 100%, so the condition of rooms is of the utmost importance to us.
The Spa area is wonderful. We make every effort to accommodate the wishes of the majority of our guests. When the weather has been hot, the temperature of the water is cooler in the Jacuzzi. When a problem is brought to our attention, we try to remedy the situation as quickly as possible.
Again, we appreciate our guests comments.
comcast.net
Reviewed July 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed at The Esmerelda in just this past week. The hotel was beautiful with it's wonderful wood staircase and home like atmosphere. The staff was very gracious. If you need something extra: just ask them. They are very willing to assist you. The whole area has a wonderful Western North Carolina hospitality. We especailly enjoyed the game roon area on the second floor with great views of Chimney Rock. It is very convienent to all the quaint shopping areas. We will definately recommend The Esmerelda Inn to our friends and family.

1 Thank mmmcrn
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Thank you for your review. We think of The Esmeralda as home, I'm glad you felt that way as well! This is a lovely area and we're very fortunate to be located so close to the many activities the Hickory Nut Gorge has to offer. The game room is a hit with most of our guests.
I'm glad you had a good time. We look forward to seeing you again.
Moore, South Carolina
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We arrived for a Father's Day celebration feeling fine. We had dinner and retired to our room for a long, hot shower and we were in bed by 10:00. I woke in the morning with my chest covered in bites, only one showed at my neckline.

When checking out, I told the lady at the desk and showed her the one bite visible out from under my shirt. She said they sometimes had 'spiders' and took $25.00 off my bill. $25.00 for one bite and nothing for the dozen or so under my blouse. When I emailed the owners, they said it got them outside, however, my chest was covered with a blouse and undergarment and I had taken a shower. I went to bed fine and woke with bites-lots of bites

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank marob48
EsmeraldaInn, General Manager at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
This was an unfortunate situation. We have a 100% cleanliness rating with the Health Department. The room was thoroughly searched for any sign of any kind of bugs and none were found. The $25 was a courtesy. My only suggestion would be to read through our reviews. You'll find we get gold stars for our beds, bedding and the condition of our rooms. There are no bugs in our beds.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chimney Rock
The Omni Grove Park Inn
#11 of 63 in Asheville
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,678 reviews
Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure

Been to The Esmeralda Inn? Share your experiences!