“Have came here for years”
Review of Newfound Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cherokee
Newfound Lodge
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
Georgia
“Have came here for years”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Newfound Lodge is not upscale, but is charming in a rustic way. The staff is friendly and the rooms are worn but clean. You have a coffee pot, a small fridge, and a private baloney overlooking the beautiful Oconaluftee River with two rocking chairs to watch the tubers float by. I have found that the majority of the hotels in Cherokee are very old and lack insulation making noise notable from the busy roads and neighbors a nuisance. This is not a problem at Newfound. We usually book a room on the second floor so that we are not bothered with footsteps from above or people walking pass our sliding glass door that opens to the baloney. The first floor has a wooden walkway with children running up and down it on their way to the river. I have learned from past experiences not to leave wet swimwear on the baloney to dry because other guests have stolen my son’s trunks! The pool is located across the road and you have to share it with another hotel. It is too crowded, so we always play in the river.
The downside is the room doesn’t have a microwave. The bathtubs do not have plugs, so plan on a shower or bring your own plug. The tub and sinks are clean. They supply you with a package of coffee, but if you want more you can pay 50 cents for extra.

This establishment allows pets and in the past, I have been bothered by guests leaving their barking pups unattended while they gamble half the night at the casino. More then once, I have been bitten by fleas from the previous occupants. If I could change one thing about Newfound Lodge, it would be to bar pets from the establishment.

The choices are limited in Cherokee and again, New Found is not a four star hotel, but it is far beyond any of the Choice Hotel in the area. The price is reasonable and located in a safe area. The day receptionist and maids for the 2011 season were the friendliest they have ever hired. (Experienced problems with the day receptionist during over summer 2010 stay). Dairy Queen is across the street and at night we walked the children over for ice cream.

Room Tip: Book a room upstairs to avoid people walking by on the boardwalk so that you can enjoy the privacy o...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank GeorgiaSunSet

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Clover, South Carolina
Reviewed August 24, 2011

we stayed for 2 nights on the upper level on a night when the place was completely booked but it was quiet and we really enjoyed it. We ended up staying another night due to car problems and decided that is our place for future cherokee visits. As an added bonus...we left property behind that was sent to our home...excellent staff!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Nancy G
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Can't beat Newfound Lodge for the price! Great balconies overlooking the
Oconaluftee River with rocking chairs! If you're looking for luxury....this ain't
it.....If you're looking for nice, clean, comfortable place to stay...this IS it!
Close to restuarants, GSM National Park, & "Unto These Hills". My son-in-law
& I used it as our 'base camp" for 3 days of trout fishing....

6 Thank flycrazy
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We travel to the Cherokee area at least twice a year, sometimes more. The Newfound Lodge is my absolute favorite part of the stay. It is a seasonal motel, locally owned and older, but always clean. I have zero complaints from the many yrs we have stayed. The rooms at Newfound Lodge are larger than a usual motel room, bedding and towels are always clean. The rooms always smell clean when we are there. The balcony overlooking the river is my favorite part!

A previous poster talked about seeing a spider - The only time I ever saw a spider was on the balcony, but it is a wooded area and to be expected bc you are outside!! There is no wi-fi at Newfound Lodge and the tvs are not brand new, but if you are looking for a cozy place to stay and appreciate the beautiful surroundings, the Newfound Lodge is your best bet!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank wolfpack4ever
Conway, South Carolina
Reviewed August 3, 2011

My brother and I checked into the Newfound Lodge on the evening of July 29, 2011. There were only three smoking rooms available at that time. We do not smoke, but because we had not reserved a nonsmoking room we had to take a smoking room. It seemed to be a busy weekend with not many vacancies in the Cherokee area. We stayed in room 124 on the ground level. After sleeping for several hours I woke up at 4:00 to use the restroom. When I turned on the lights, I saw roaches on several walls of the sleeping area and bathroom. I woke my brother. The roaches really were disgusting so I decided to check my bed. That's when the horror started. I found a brown bug on my sheet. I got a napkin to kill it. When I squeezed it, a lot of red blood came out. I was freaking. We took the bug and napkin to the employee working at the front desk. She said she had never seen anything like it....right I thought. She offered us another room. We demanded a refund and after getting it we left at 4:30AM. I later found out it was a bed bug after searching the internet. I also found a bite on my back. I still have the dead bug in a ziplock bag. I thought maybe DHEC or another agency should know about the infested room. I have traveled to most of the states and to other countries and this is the first time I have been exposed to bed bugs. I'll be camping in a tent the next time I go to the mountains. I WILL NEVER STAY IN THIS MOTEL AGAIN!!!

4 Thank vh123_11
Harrisburg, North Carolina
Reviewed July 31, 2011

If you are not expecting the accommodations of the Marriott or Hilton this is a great place to stay. It is an older hotel with character and marvelous scenery. We really enjoyed sitting in the rocking chairs on our private balcony looking over the river talking, reading and just enjoying the Bluejays that hopped from tree to tree. I have never been a bird watcher until this weekend. Waking up to that view and being able to sit out there and enjoy my morning coffee was heaven. The linens were clean and new looking; the shower was clean and had FANTASTIC water pressure. I did find a small spider in the bathroom BUT we did have the doors open a lot and there is a lot of nature and natural area around so we may have let him in. I just squashed him and went on my way. The sink area and carpeting were dated but over all it was worth every penny and the next time I go I will definitely stay here again and will even request this same room.

Room Tip: if going during summer months ask for ground floor so folage does not block view
2 Thank bdbrackett
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 8, 2011

the setting is beautiful, but the motel is old and dank. This was my first trip to Cherokee, so I didn't know what I was getting. Now I do. I won't stay in this place again. The front desk was helpful with a small issue we had, but the waas just dark, old and dirty. I would NEVER walk barefoot on that nasty carpet. But, as I said, the setting is beautiful, right on the river. I prefer to pay a little more and have a clean, updated room.

1 Thank lola103