“Don't Go”

Paul's Family Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 47 Restaurants in Cherokee
Cuisines: American, Native American
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
“Don't Go”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Although there aren't many restaurant choices in Cherokee, skip this one. You'd be better off at Burger King. Service was terribly slow; it took an hour to get our food after we ordered. I ordered the fried shrimp platter. When it finally came, it was terrible. It was very obvious my food came from a bag they pulled out of the freezer. Yes, I know, stupid to order fried shrimp in Cherokee, however, my mom got a "veggie plate" that was also terrible. The fried green tomatoes were like eating cardboard. We mentioned the bad quality of our food to the waitress and she ignored us, which I understand considering I've been told since that the owner will NOT give refunds. Besides that, our waitress was very nice and attentive, so no fault to her whatsoever. Would never recommend this place. You're better off eating at the Casino; that's what we did for the rest of our trip.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Great Food And Service At A Small Local Joint...You'll Enjoy Paul's!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband and I had dinner at Paul's recently on a trip to the Cherokee area and chose this as our first night's restaurant due to the reviews here on Trip Advisor. I am glad to say, we were delighted by this small, friendly, local Indian-owned diner. My husband loved the Monday night special...fried chicken (done just right!!) with delicious homemade veggies and that extra special bean cake bread (I had to take a taste and could have ordered one myself...yummy!!). I had the salad with grilled chicken breast, which was crisp, well stocked with all the trimmings and served with homemade ranch dressing...and large enough for at least three!! The value per serving size at Paul's is superb, the food is great, and the wait staff friendly and right on the mark. The two of us had a great meal for under $25...and our waitress even brought a box--with silverware, napkins, and a bag to go and to go teas for the road (just guessing we were tourists!!). We shall definately make Paul's our first stop on our next trip to the area. Great food, service, and ambiance...lovely local restuaurant!! A great find!!

Silver Spring, Maryland
“Good if you like fried”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

We did not wish to eat at a chain or a buffet and seemed to be very few true resturants in town. Trip advisor warned us the food was ok but service was lacking. We found the opposite. Service was very pleasant but the selection was heavily fried.
My wife and I split an Ok steak with a plain baked potatoe. The coleslaw was awful. My daughter had the fried green tomatoes which needed some herbs or spices but they were simply fried.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Great Choice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Passing through Cherokee, NC. Not wanting to eat at just another national chain restaurant, a local store suggested eating at Paul's. Apparently they make the best burgers around! Great appetizers, great food, very good value, fast service, and very friendly! We ate out on the porch, overlooking a stream. I will definitely eat there next time as well!

Fayetteville, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great junk food!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Ok we got our lunch to go. The person helping with that and the person ringing us up could not even muster a smile or even pretend to want our business. I was looking for some traditional Native American food. We decided to get the "taco" because it was served on traditional flat bread. They were super delicious but it was $8. Not sure it was worth that. Also, a child's Macaroni and Cheese is $4 and it was about a cup sized serving and doesn't include fries or any sides or a drink or anything. The fried pickles and fried green beans were fabulous! I almost went back for a buffalo burger the 2nd day but ultimately passed on it. It wasn't the best but it was clean and tasty for the type of food.