“Not so great, but sufficient”

Holiday Inn Express Cherokee/Casino
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
Charleston
“Not so great, but sufficient”
Reviewed September 3, 2008

Let me start by saying I used to work for IHG (Intercontinnental Hotels Group) and worked in the call center. I understand that not all places are great, so I always look at the reviews, the pictures and surrounding area ahead of time.

Having said that, I thought I was prepared for the stay. It wasnt horrible, but could have been better. We went on Labor Day weekend, so everything was bumper-to-bumper.

The hotel was suffiecient---the bed was comfortable enough, the room and bathroom were clean. My small complaints were that the bathroom ceiling and wallpaper were peeling (fine as long as nothing falls on me); there were some kind of flying insects on the bed when I woke up the last morning; NO BUSINESS CENTER--which is my own fault for not noticing, but still not that bad; and as far as the breakfast--stick to the dry food (toast, eggs, rolls, etc) The biscuits were overcooked and eggs were runny and undercooked.

Not too bad, we were fine with the overall stay. I wont be returning simply because of the location. Even with two gps systems and two sets of printed directions (from AAA and IHG.Com), it was hard to find. Saw only one Holiday Inn sign and that was only after a 30 minute "detour".

• Liked — I am a Priortiy Club member with IHG and got rewards points
  • Disliked — Location and no business center
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Matthews NC
Reviewed August 15, 2008

We stayed here on a quick overnight stay. Room was clean and quiet. Free breakfast was ok~not much room to sit, but is a small hotel. Would stay again

• Liked — new and clean
  • Disliked — noisy motorcycles
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed June 18, 2008

While the Holiday Inn Express was very clean, new and comfortable; there's nothing there to do except go to the Harrah's Cherokee Casino accross the street.; which we would not recommend for gambling. The slots are very tight. We've had much better success consistently at other destinations like Tunica & Biloxi where there's more competition with the casinos - so they will work harder for your loyalty and of course; don't want to make their slot machines too tight since they want you back. We did not get that feeling with the casino in Cherokee. Even their comps were cheap. We would have had to have spent at least $1000 in gambling just to get a free buffet! The MGM slot clubs are much more generous. We will not go back to Harrah's in Cherokee. The seafood buffet was good at the casino although not reasonably priced and the property looked well kept. Regarding the Holiday Inn Express; rooms were very nice, new and clean. However; the breakfast service was poor. Not only did the staff not keep the scrambled eggs coming out quick enough (we had to stand waiting for 10 minutes one morning for them) but they don't provide condiment choices for the scrambled eggs like salsa or ketchup. The texture of the scambled eggs were strange too as perhaps they are made from a powder or prepared product? When requesting ketchup for my eggs; my request was met with "no, we don't have ketchup" in a very non apologetic, cold manner by a dark haired woman working the breakfast area. Being that my husband is a priority club member; we'd hope that the management would take notice of complaints like these. FYI - the county is "dry" so one cannot obtain alcohol or drink at the casino either!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mespos

Travelers are raving about these Cherokee hotels

South Carolina
Reviewed April 21, 2008

My mom and I went to Cherokee for a girls get away. We originally had reservations at the casino, but do to an overlook on my part, we lost our room there. The casino helped us find a hotel down the street. When we got there, it was not up to my standards. So we immediately checked out and went to find another hotel. We came across the Holiday Inn Express. We were able to get a room, and extend it for the length of our stay. The desk clerk was super friendly and he helped us with everything we asked. The room was very clean and the beds Oh so comfy. I suffer from back pain, and the week we spent at the HIE, I woke up with NO pain.. My mom and I are planning another trip to Cherokee and will be staying at the HIE again!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 22, 2007

My partner and I stayed one night in Cherokee at the Holiday Inn Express, it is directly across from Harrah's Casino. We enjoyed the stay and found the hotel clean, well lighted, and the folks at the desk friendly and helpful. We feared our ground-floor room would be noisy (especially with motorcycle convention in area), but we heard nothing. The continental breakfast was described as good - but it was being packed up as we selected our food (way too early on a sleepy Saturday morning). If you like casinos -- the facility is literally across the street. The Casino buffet is nearest dining option. Certainly not Vegas -- but no doubt the best option in the Cherokee Nation. We plan to return, as the area is beautiful and right at the entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and Blue Ridge Parkway ....a good location for exploring the trails and beauty of the area. Note, the Cherokee Nation is a sovereign nation and is "dry" (including the casino). Beyond the casino and National Park, the Nation offers lots of interesting sites regarding the area's rich Native American culture, art and history.

• Liked — Location and value
  • Disliked — Breakfast closed too early and cookie-cutter style does not fit area culture and history
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AtlantaFan
Atlanta
Reviewed September 3, 2007

The hotel is across from the casino, and it has no resturant. The beds have a waterproof mattress pad on in that is loose and feels terrible to sleep on, and it made me sweat during the night. It was clean and that's the best I can say about it.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the bed was uncomfortable
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gatorlaw
Franklin, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 30, 2007

Stayed here while visiting Great Smoky Mtns National Park for $62 per night. The price includes breakfast, which is great, and a nice location to the park. One thing this location is lacking is dining options. There is a casino across the street for those that enjoy gambling. This is no Las Vegas casino. If you are looking for some nightlife and more dining options, consider Gatlinburg, TN on the other side of the park.

• Liked — Location to National Park
  • Disliked — Dining options in area
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple