“Disappointment”

Smoky Mountain Gold and Ruby Mine
Ranked #14 of 33 things to do in Cherokee
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We thought this would be a pleasurable experience since we had done it before years ago. However when we got there we were ignored by the employees and stood there for 10 minutes. When we did get to sit down the employee was rude and very nasty not only to us but the kids we were with. The employee informed my girls (6 of them) she had other customers to wait on and if they wanted to know what they had go inside. We spent over 50.00 and the girls got nothing that was even worth a couple of dollars. When we left the same nasty employee was talking and belittling an elderly couple with their grandkids. I can honestly say we will NEVER be returning to this place again and we will be sure to share our negative experience with all who ask.

10  Thank Michaele U

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I am sorry to say that we were quite disappointed with this "gem mining" experience. We paid $50 for a five-gal bucket and truly found less than $5 worth of gems. The "finds" consisted of several amethysts, different colored quartz, mica, very small garnet, and perhaps amazonite.
My youngest child, age eight enjoyed sifting/finding the colorful rocks. The oldest three were bummed. A couple of years ago, we mined in Spruce Pine (Gem Mountain). It was 1000x better.

The most disappointing thing was the fact that they lined the top of the bucket with the pretty rocks. There were FEW others inside the bucket.

7  Thank atamsc
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This is your normal tourist trap attraction. Anyone thinking they are gonna strike it rich are mistaken. I read a lot of complaints about "gem" mines. This is a fun stop for children. If the parents go into it knowing they are not going to get rich quick, it's a lot more fun. My daughter loves to find treasures and we love to do it too. It's not expensive for the entertainment it provides. If you have young children its fun to do.

1  Thank 4emz
Reviewed August 17, 2012

A very good and inexpensive way to spend a couple of hours. The kids seemed to especially enjoy it and there is the real possibility of finding a gem.

1  Thank Johali
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This was so much fun! Staff was very knowledgeable and helpful. My husband and I enjoyed sifting through the dirt and water to find gems. Good time!

2  Thank pah1st