“Very Clean”
Review of Great Smokies Inn

Great Smokies Inn
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I was comped this room by the casino. Reading the reviews I was skeptical of staying here. It's an older motel with dated furnishings and very little amenities. Nonetheless my room was very clean. I have stayed at a number of hotels to include 4 and 5 stars and this has to be in the top five for cleanliness. No dust, awful smells, hairs, or bugs in my room. No mold in bathroom grout or dirty toilets. No rips, holes, or stains on the furnishings. I mean I was truly amazed at how clean it was. I would stay again if I had to.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Ms_Zee48

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Maybe the worst place in the world to spend the night. After visiting 28 countries in my life and 1000 of hotel stays in the USA, this place is the all time worst, dirtiest, bug filled with a staff that was lazy and unresponsive. The floors were filthy, showers molding, towels that were stained and after complaining to the manager Nina, she obviously did not show any concern and acted as if it was normal to hear these complaints. Would not want my dog to stay in those rooms and my dog is an outside dog. Terrible. To top it off the water in the lobby coffee pot was dirty also with bugs crawling over the cart. Just the worst place in the world to stay in... just awful.

Room Tip: Dont choose any room at this location
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank KEN P
Great Smokies I, Front Office Manager at Great Smokies Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

We here at Great Smokies Inn do our best to address guest complaints in a timely manner.Unfortunately, with this particular issue, we were not made aware of these problems until it was posted here.In the future please address any issues with management on property so that they can be resolved upon departure.Thank you

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I was expecting shabby as this was an older motel. I was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and comfort of the room. The beds are extra firm but comfortable. The location was good. The heating was comfortable. The only issues that I had with the room were: a) no mini fridge or microwave, which is the most important issue for most travelers; b) the toilet paper was horrific, but not too big of a deal; c) front desk staff, while polite, was very disorganized...could not find my reservation at first because they have multiple binders rather than keeping all in one place. These were minor issues though, so the good outweighed the negatives.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank crystalds79
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed in this motel a few years ago. At that time I think it was a Best Western. It cost less & was about what you would expect to pay for a similar room at other motels. Now that it is the Great Smokies Inn, I found the price was out of line (too high) when considering like accommodations. Also, when we stayed before there was a good restaurant in the motel. That is gone now.
The weather was cold & we had to ask for blankets. Given the weather conditions I felt the blankets should have already been in the room. When we ask for them they were bought right away. The room heater kept the room warm but there was a big fluctuation range in the temperature. It would get too cold before the unit kicked on & would be too hot by the time it turned off.
The TV left much to be desired. It was an small older model not a flat screen. The tuning & volume controls were not the best.
While not spotless, the room was acceptably clean.
This place is showing its age & is in need of some updates.
The one bright spot was the staff. They were both helpful & friendly.

Room Tip: Would stay here in a pinch. But would try to find something a little nicer for the money.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CrackerBatonRouge
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We got this room off a discount site and paid about $90 after taxes. The exterior appearance of the hotel is charming, kind of a "classy" roadside motel feel. Room entries are outside, but it didn't feel unsafe in any way. The interior of the room is consistent with what you would expect for a hotel with outside entry. The linens were okay, the TV was a standard 19" tube tv. The room did come with a fridge that was big enough to hold a twelve pack of bottles, a twelve pack of cans AND a double bottle of wine. That was a nice touch, especially considering that Cherokee is almost entirely dry.

The lobby is nice looking and decorated in the style of the smokies, lots of bears and wood. The coffee that comes in the room is terrible, but they had good coffee inside the lobby with liquid creamer as well as a selection of teas.

Another nice touch, and honestly, one that we've not experienced in very many hotels, was a follow up call after check in. They called the room about ten minutes after we checked in to ask how the room was and if we needed anything. Whoever put THAT into place as a policy here needs a pat on the back. It was a really classy move and made us feel welcomed there, despite its simple amenities.

The biggest problem we had were the beds. Unfortunately, with a business that revolves around providing customers a refreshing night's sleep, this is an important thing to get right. If you like really hard beds, I mean if you like to feel like you are sleeping on a marble counter-top with a sheet on it, then this place is for you. The beds were REALLY hard. We like soft beds, but occasionally have slept well on harder beds at hotels. These beds were probably the hardest I have ever laid on. Maybe they were new, I don't know, but they really didn't sleep well. I don't want to really ding the hotel for this, because I could have asked about it, and seen if maybe they had rooms with different beds, but I didn't. They even CALLED to ask how it was and I still didn't say anything. I was so shocked by the fact they called me I didn't even think about it, lol. But, if you like hard beds, maybe this is the place for you!

As far as location goes, it is close to the Casino (we weren't there for that) as well as tourist shopping and eating establishments. The #1 restaurant in Cherokee is less than a 3 minute drive away. There is a family fun center with all kinds of games less than a 1/4 mile away. So, the location is good.

All in all, I enjoyed the stay. We probably will not stay here again, simply because the beds are too hard for us. But, I would recommend this to sleepers that prefer hard beds.

Oh, and there is a recent review that says they have stayed in some of the best hotels anywhere and this is just as nice. They also stated that this room was as clean if not cleaner than these same rooms in the best hotels. I would argue that both of these points are inaccurate. We found a used fork behind the fridge when doing our room search before leaving, and the curtain in our room had an unusually "blood like" stain on it. I have definitely stayed in nicer places. Nothing against this place, but I don't want anybody getting deluded thinking this is a high quality situation, It isn't.

Simple, good value for $, attentive, YES.

Comparable to 3-4 star hotels? NO.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor may have nice views. Rooms on the 1st floor will be more convenient.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I tried to get reservations to Harrahs and they were booked solid, so they recommended this place. The hotel is close to the casino and usually has a shuttle that will pick you up (except on Sunday, the day we were there). We took a cab instead (20$ each way). This room was as clean if not cleaner than any other priced hotel. Our room overlooked the parking lot and we had sunlight beaming into our room and an awesome view of the mountains. The beds were comfy and the bathroom was squeaky clean. Believe me I have stayed at some of the best hotels anywhere and this one was just as nice.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jenoral
Reviewed October 29, 2013

The hotel does have some age, but if you look around inside the lobby you will appreciate the nice woodwork and stone exterior. The front desk clerk made checking in seamless, it only took about 5 minutes. The rooms were nice but it's no Hilton but the price is more affordable too. I didn't much like the location of the "inside" rooms, you have to park and walk around back to get to your room. The room was clean and accommodating. The bathroom was small but again, it's no Hilton, and you really just don't spend that much time in there. The beds were comfortable and had fresh linens. The cable TV was nice. I really didn't see any negatives except for the location of the "inside" rooms. If you are traveling a lone be sure to get an "outside" room.

Room Tip: Be sure and get an "outside" room vs an "inside" room if you are traveling alon...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family