“Don't book through an internet site like hotels.com if you want to be treated like a customer!”

Smoky Mountain Inn & Suites
Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
Weaverville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My family and I reserved a room for 1 night through Hotels.com. we arrived at 11:30am on a Thursday. The parking lot had 4 cars in it. We asked if we could check in early and was told there wasn't a clean room in the building. Must have been a SUPER BUSY Wednesday night. The woman at the desk told us it would be between 1 and 2 before we could check in, to come back and check then. I asked if we could hang out at the pool. She sighed and hesitated and then said "I guess." So at 1:15 I went back to ask and she told me the maids had just got back from lunch???? And she would go check the rooms in 10 minutes and come get us at the pool. At 2:10 my husband called. She asked his name. He asked her why it mattered, was there a clean room or not. She said it would be another 30 minutes. He then walked to the desk. He told her he felt like he was being given the run around because we didn't book with them. She of course said that wasn't the case but miraculously a clean room appeared. Then after we were finally checked in she gave us a receipt saying my card was charged for $54.15. I already paid Hotels.com $75. I still haven't gotten to the bottom of that.....I have to rebuild my energy for that battle.

I understand check in is at 3. However if we were not going to be able to check in until 3 she should have said that from the beginning. Not send me to the pool to wait an hour or so with my kids. You can only swim so long!

It also seems like this is an issue after reading other reviews on here. It also seems like Mr. Rick Whitener needs to work on his staff's customer service skills.

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank CyndiG2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Arabic first
Marietta
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Ok, where do I start…pulled into the parking lot and smiled, the “Inn” itself appeared to be quaint; I was looking forward to a well-appointed cute mountain inn. As soon as I walked in the front door the cute/quaint was replaced with washed out and tacky! Check in was ok and then we walked in to the room, I’m sorry did I say room…I should have said NO room! Small, cramped and with an old scratchy TV...I was looking for the rabbit ears! The “bathroom” was a bigger joke, it was the size of a small closet with the most bizarre stand up shower you have ever seen, it looks like there was once a sliding door and they knocked out the glass and hung a cheap plastic shower curtain on the frame! There was no fridge/microwave or any other creature comforts not even a closet…unless you count the bathroom! To add insult to injury we booked through Expedia and spent an hour trying to get help, however, they were rude and un-accommodating wanted us to pay even more money to get an acceptable room and finally just disconnected us! Apparently, you have to pay extra for their 100% satisfaction guarantee!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bosachica

Travelers are raving about these Cherokee hotels

charlotte, nc
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

After booking a last minute room, I was worried this hotel was not one of the larger chains. It seems privately owned but the staff was courteous and helpful, the rooms were very clean although basic and it the beds were comfortable. There is no frills about this hotel but all in all a comfortable and clean stay. The bathroom was a shower stall only and the bring your own toiletries such as shampoo because they give you a packet of basic shampoo that left my hair worse than before I washed it. Don't count on the breakfast being more than cereals, Danish, coffee an juice but again meets basic needs an is a two minute drive from the casino.

• Stayed May 2013
Buchanan, Georgia, United States
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Went here for an overnight stay on a trip where we were going to spend some money at Harrah's, then go to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.

This hotel is pretty much perfect under the current management and staff. Everything was immaculate, the hotel was a very easy distance from Harrah's (turn right from hotel, go to the second light and turn left, then go straight and you'll end up in the casino parking lot).

There are plenty of inexpensive restaurants nearby if the offerings in the casino don't appeal to you or you're on a budget.

• Stayed May 2013
South Carolina
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My room was very clean. It did look outdated, but who cares. This is a Great place to stay for people on a Budget. I did not have breakfast, so....The lady was very friendly at check in.. I had fun in the pool and hot tub, I was the only one in them. The room had everything I needed. Free wi fi....Very close to the Casino. I will stay here again !!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The hotel is could use some updating, but for it's age it was clean. Breakfast was good. Biscuits, gravy, sausage, waffles, fruit, oatmeal, pastries, etc. Pool area was nice - hot tub could have been a little warmer. Location is good. Crystal (worked front desk and also helped in other areas) was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Covington, Georgia
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I posted a review on another site but don't remember which site. Some of the hotel staff was so unprofessional and not helpful. When we booked the room we were told we would get a certain type of room and then when we got there it was totally different. The TV was so old and sounded like a speaker was busted. We did not have a good experience will not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: The room layout is horrible. The bathroom is so small it the size of a closet and it faces the bed.