“Beware of fleas and dog hair on the spreads in the pet friendly rooms!”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Cherokee
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
“Beware of fleas and dog hair on the spreads in the pet friendly rooms!”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

My mom, dog, and I planned a stay at the microtel inn and suites Cherokee for a visit to the casino. Upon arrival it looked to be a nice hotel, the lobby smelled really fresh and good, the hotel clerk was very friendly. I received the key to the room and the room felt humid and had a smell, so I turned on the air and I went over to the bed and was about to turn the covers back because that's what I do and I saw 2 fleas on the bed so I sprayed them and killed them and let is slide. (Might I add, the refrigerator was dirty, no iron or ironing board, no microwave in all rooms.) We left the room for a few hours and when we returned, WOW it was fleas on both beds scattered all over on the bed spread, I couldn't believe it. I went to the front desk to report the fleas on the bed and she apologized and offered another room so I accept her apology and went to the other room, this room was hot and had a moldy smell and on the beds were dog hairs. Again I went to the front desk to tell the clerk and she apologized and said she would call her manager but she did not get an answer, and she tried several times as I waited in the lobby to contact her manager and no success. By the way the clerk was very friendly and she said she just started working there, so she offered me another room, this time she said that she only had a smoking room available that was pet friendly, so again I accept the room. This room was upstairs on the 3rd floor so we had to pack up all our stuff and go upstairs. This room had a smoke smell and musty odor. I checked the bed and it had 2 fleas on it and the fitted sheet had a stain on it like old blood or something on it. I went back to the clerk and told her fleas were on that bed also and I was not satisfied so she said she would call the owner, she got in touch with the owner and when she got off the phone she ask me if I wanted to move to another room or if I wanted to check out, after all the moving to different rooms and the disgrace of the fleas, dog hairs, musty and stinky room odors I said I would check out. I can not speak for the other rooms in the hotel but the pet friendly rooms that I came in contact with were a disgrace and I never experienced this at any hotel I ever stayed. I am not the one to complain but this right here took me to that point. All the moving from different rooms, the nastiness, fleas, dog hairs over the blanket, odor smells all made for an experience I would never want to have again. Tip for travelers- Check your bed and covers for fleas!! and a Tip for the hotel- Since your charging a $25.00 pet fee per night, have your pet friendly rooms steam cleaned and exterminated by a professional!

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank alliangel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Taylorsville NC
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My boyfriend and i finally had a free weekend to head out of town, but being last minute, all hotels seemed to be booked or unreasonably priced. Finally, i went with a "top secret hotel" pick. We ended up at the Microtel in Cherokee. Upon arrival, the front desk attendant, Kelley, was very friendly and willing to help with any questions or needs that we had. Rob, the shuttle driver, also introduced himself when we arrived and told us that he would be more than happy to take us over to the casino when we were ready. We went to our room .... no funky smell, no torn carpet, no random stains, etc. We were very pleased with the quality of the room. Rob was very friendly as he took us over to the casino offering tips on where we needed to go when we got there as it was our first visit (we would have been lost without the instruction). Very timely pick up when we called to return back to the hotel via shuttle. Breakfast was above average for "continental" as there were waffles as well as biscuits & gravy. 24 hour coffee was available and was good coffee. Overall, the Microtel is not a Hilton, but it is a fantastic economical hotel when you are heading up to sightsee and gamble. To Kelley & Rob - thank you again for your help and for making us feel at home!!

Best, Micaela & Enrique

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stayed in this hotel over Memorial Day weekend and the room was clean and comfortable. The bed and linens were good quality, the lighting was good, it had a lot of storage, and the window seat was a nice touch. That said, the hotel lacked a few important things I feel are important. The room was on the end near a food lion, and a stairwell, so it was extremely loud. Generally the AC drowned out most of the noise, but we were woken up early Monday by the dumpster being emptied. I can't complain too much about this though as we requested a room on the end as we had our dog with us and needed to be close to an exit to take her out occasionally.

The hotel amenities were good, but a bit disappointing as well. They had a continental breakfast available, but get there early because it goes fast. The shuttle that they advertise turns out to be weekends only, a fact that we didn't know until the last second. The pool area was small, but clean. Unfortunately, I believe the employees allow their friends and family to use it. The staff could have been friendlier, or is it people in general are just not as friendly now?
With all that said, we did enjoy our stay and would probably go back. The hotel was close to the casino, which is what we were there for. It was close to fast food, was clean, and pleasant.

Room Tip: Select a room AWAY from the shopping center/Food Lion on one end of the hotel. Very noisy Location.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank cosmicvagabond
Apopka, Florida
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed at this Microtel when we went to the Cherokee Casino. I am always pleased with Microtel Inn's. This one had a good continental breakfast that included waffles. Very clean room and friendly staff. Convienent location.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Hixson, Tennessee
Reviewed May 5, 2012

We were in the area for Western Carolina's Graduation weekend. This hotel is about 40 minutes from campus. We have been up to the area before but this was our first time in Cherokee and we enjoyed looking around. We had a non-smoking room. It was clean and relatively quiet. We were next to the stairs and we never heard the door. There were little or no sounds from other rooms. They are pet friendly and we did see several small dogs. Again- no problem. The room and bathroom were small but we weren't there much, except to sleep. I did like the window seat. Was able to sit and work some needlepoint while husband took a short nap.

We did appreciate the binder of information in the room. They had pages of info for a number of area restaurants. If you have the time - skip the free breakfast (mostly starch and carbs but looked plentiful as we passed by) and endulge at Peter's Waffles & Pancakes up the road. We liked it so much the first morning, we did it again the next day! They serve breakfast until 2pm!!

Staff was very friendly and helpful. We came in late the first night, after a party, and asked the young man at the front desk a couple questions about dining at the casino. He immediately called them, got the answers and made reservations for the following night. We ended up having to cancel them later but we appreciated that he was pro-active!

This is a good value!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Myquest55
Liverpool
Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed at this hotel, along with 10 others, during April 2012 as part of a 17 day road trip across GA, NC, SC. By giving the star rating I am not saying the hotel is a 4 star but whether it was clean and value for the money and to an extent we have compared then to the other 10 hotels we stayed at.

Unlike some others this Microtel was more like a proper hotel were you park as near the reception as possible and take your luggage through the reception to a lift to your room. This felt much safer to us than the motel types were your room door is accessible to all from the street.

On arrival we were allocated room 116 which was next to a vending/ice machine room, this was very noisy. We informed the reception who did, after being insistent, change us to room 204 which was much better.

The room was clean, clean towels, lots of hot water and seemed well maintained.

The included breakfast offered a good choice although there was limited seating. A lot of people just took food and coffee back to their rooms.

There was plenty of fast food places and a supermarket just outside the hotel. We ate in the Mexican and it was good but no alcohol at all. We asked in the supermarket and where told that the nearest place for booze was 12 miles away. Bring your own if you want a drink.

At about £47 per night it was good value and we would stay here again but not in room 116.

Room Tip: Bring your own beer and avoid the vending machines.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Microtel Inn. The rooms were extremely clean, although we do not have a pet it was very pet friendly and unless you saw the guest with animals you would not have even known they were there. The deluxe continental breakfast was nice with waffles, boiled eggs, and biscuits & gravy. The location of the hotel was in a great place walking distance to a grocery store, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and McDonalds. We were very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family