“Nice and Clean”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Cherokee
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
Reviewed April 23, 2012

When we arrived the gal in the evening was so nice and helpful. She got us checked in quickly with our reservation answered ALL of our questions (we had several). Told us of several things we could take our 9 yr old daughter to. Gave us extra blankets too. Our rate was very reasonable too. The only draw back was when we made our original reservation I told them we had 1 senior, 2 adults, a 9yr old and an 8 lb dog, so needed a non smoking pet friendly room- and nothing was said at the time about a pet fee. There are motels that do not charge a pet fee.I don't mind paying this fee as long as I know I am going to be paying it ahead of time. She told me it was $25.00 but since we were not originally told about it she only charged us $10.00. The next morning there was a different gal at the desk who was not nearly as friendly (actually more on the rude side). She questioned about the pet fee insisting that it was a separate fee. I understood that it was a separate fee but was not informed about it when requesting a pet room and making my reservation,which she did not seem to understand and appeared to want to argue with me about it. After we checked out she made a bee line for the back.
The motel and rooms were very clean. You could hear through the walls everything so our little watch dog wanted to bark more then he usually does, so not a great night sleep but the beds were very comfortable. They have a nice area in back to walk your pet that is in a fenced in area too. Breakfast was good and plentiful.

Room Tip: Make sure if you are taking your pet to verify the pet fee. Don't get a room near the vending m...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Cherokee

Reviewed April 23, 2012

My wife and I spent two nights here. This Microtel was clean and reasonably priced. Breakfast was pretty good.
Beds and pillows were extremely hard.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

I picked Microtel based on reviews on Tripadvisor. I was a little disappointed. I didn't find super friendly staff to greet me or exceptional rooms. When we first tried to get in the side door to go to our room, my husband said "Chek your shoes". There was dog crap in the grass right in front (I mean right in front) of the door. I asked for a non-smoking, non-pet room. When I opened the room door, the smell almost knocked me out - it smelled like carpet deodorizer multiplied 10 times. The staff was not unfriendly but certainly not extracourteous or anything like that. We had three people in the room, with two washcloths. I went to the desk and asked for an additional washcloth. They said they didn't know if they had another one - they would go upstairs and check and bring it to the room if they found one. Within minutes they delivered one to the room. The second morning the coffee maker was broken. The old style tv was situated on top of the clothes armoir and looked like it could topple off any moment - but it was fastened, we checked. The room needed updating - carpet worn, bathroom tiles broken, wallpaper torn and repaired.

We were awakened the first morning by the dog across the hall barking. The hotel is not within walking distance of the casino (not in my opinion). If you are looking for a hotel within walking distance - look elsewhere.

However, the bed slept very well.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stayed one night while visiting the casino. Staff was freindly and helpful. Room was clean and comfortable. Overall good stay. Price paid was $80 plus tax. A little higher than other Microtels I have stayed in.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

Nice motel, friendly staff, close to the casino, nears stores and eating establishments. The only draw back to this motel is there no view of the mountains or rivers that surround the area.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

I always check Tripadvisor for ratings on motels, and this was no exception.The reviews were spot on! VERY good staff, nice room, DID find a few hairs housekeeping missed on the bathroom floor, overall very clean. Wife had a stain on her sheet, which may or may not have been old. It appeared to be blood, and not pre-treated well.

Breakfast was very well presented, and coffee was very good.

Unfortunately, the pool was closed, and since I had made a reservation online, the price was non-refundable, or I would have gone somewhere which had an open pool. I was looking forward to a swim all day! I admit to a bit of disappointment there. No mention was made of that when I made the reservation.

Room Tip: Call ahead to make sure the pool is open, and check the sheets before you unpack. It appears that la...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2012

We drove for a two day getaway and choice this location due to tripadvisor ratings. I was pleased with the stay and the location. I know some say they could smell dog in the rooms but I have allergies and I did not smell a thing. Plenty of towels. Very convienent to shopping and restaurants. Harrah's casino just up the road, some say you could walk but I question that. We took the hour drive to Gatlinburg. Front desk personnel very friendly. Hot coffee and fresh cookies every time I was thru the lobby. We had a minor issue with our air conditioning but after reporting to the front desk they saw to it immediately. I would recommend this hotel if you are visiting the area.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for rates for aarp - saved an extra 20%
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple