All reviewsoutdoor poolgreat campgroundbath housedeluxe cabintravel trailerbunk bedscamp storebig cove roadmingo fallsdog parkrv siteslabor daywi fihot tubfire pitlong weekendmaggie valley
Reviewed December 22, 2006

I had stayed at this koa years ago before I was married. My husband and I decided to rent a kottage for a week this summer there. My husband was wary (he's from Long Island, NY.) I told him we wouldn't be exactly roughing it. Anyways, we got kottage #517 which is right on the corner of the little area where the kottages are. After we unpacked the car and sat on the porch, I could see my husband's eyes well up. I asked him what was wrong. He said, "I have never seen anything so beautiful in my life." He was referring to the view we had while sitting on the porch.

Renting one of their kottages was not like camping at all. It was a beautiful little cabin with a bedroom with a bathroom, sitting area, and kitchen. It was air conditioned (though we didn't need it). It had a television with remote control, a gas fireplace, a stove, microwave, kitchen table and chairs. In the living room area, there was a futon and also a cot if we needed it. On the covered porch, there was a table and chairs and a bbq grill. We overlooked the river and steps away was an entrance to the river for wading or tubing.

We brought our dog with us. There was not an extra charge to have the dog in the cabin. The dog walk area was close by and it was a nice little island surrounded by the river and streams. It was like walking through a little forest.

Previous people have commented that the indoor pool was too overcrowded by kids. I think that is a good thing. I went there to have a nice vacation. It was great to have a place where my son could have fun with other kids while my husband and I relaxed.

I loved the fact that they cooked food for every meal 7 days a week. A few nights we just got stuff to bring back to the Kottage. Any leftovers we put in the fridge. They had a country store with ample supplies.

I don't know why people were complaining previously about the kennels. We left our dog in our kottage while we went out. I don't know why it would be necessary to put your pet in a kennel there.

One last note, in the kitchen all dishes, utensils, cups, coffee maker, broom, dustpan, sponges, dish soap, pots, pans, paper towels, sponges was supplied. In the bathroom they supplied us with toilet paper. They did not clean our kottage during our stay. Remember to bring bed linens and towels and you should be set. Remember, this is supposed to be camping-lol.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank LoriMichelle0117
Reviewed October 18, 2006

My family stayed at the Cherokee KOA for several days in July of 2005 and it is in my top two campgrounds, we loved it. The staff (mainly international students) were wonderful, very friendly and helpful. The indoor pool is excellent, though as other reviewers have noted the hot tub tends to be full of rowdy preteens. The Internet connection is spotty, but wireless is available off and on. The very best thing about the campground is the food court! They have fresh baked pizza, ice cream and (best of all) nightly all-you-can-eat specials. The AUCE steak special with corn on the cob and roll is delicious, and very economical. The camp store is 3 or 4 time the size of most KOA camp stores, and some weekends it is open 24 hours. I highly recommend the trip to Mingo Falls, if you can make the hike (a bit challenging for the out of shape like myself) you are rewarded with some stunning views.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank sherrie87
Reviewed July 5, 2006

We traveled to Cherokee to the KOA site the first week of July. We stayed in one of the Kottages. This included one bedroom, a bathroom, a living room/kitchen area and a front deck overlooking the river. I'd like to say that the Kottage was great, especially the air conditioner and stove. Being non-campers, it was a perfect way to camp with our three children and not be burdened by the actually work that goes into camping.

The activities were on the weaker side. For example, the jumping pillow costs $2 for 15 minutes of jumping per child. My kids stayed on for the full time, but it was nothing special compared to their trampoline at home. Also, the putt-putt golf was a very small course--perfect for my three year old, but I imagine for older kids, pretty boring (especially for another fee). The outdoor pool was so cold even with a mid to high 80s air temperature. The hot tub was full of uncontrolled children most of the time. The indoor pool was warmer, but had a small workout room and food/concessions in the same spot. It just didn't feel right. Lastly, the tubing experience was not good. The rocks were a pain in the bottom and we had to stop before the end of the journey. All I can say is don't do it.

Overall, the experience was good, but could have been much better with a few people working a little bit harder.

• Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank qualms
Reviewed July 1, 2006

we stayed in KOA Cherokee NC last week of June 2006. Their website looks much better then the campground actually is. We loved the staff and the store.

The campground was too crowded and at night you could actually hear what people are talking about in another tent from your cabin. (hard to fall asleep).

Both swimming pools were freezing cold and hot tub was always full of screaming children with lots of inflantable stuff....Their so called gym is actually in the corner of the indoor swimming pool between the pool and pizza stand, so no privacy at all.(see picture)

Their "pet kennel" is something I would not leave a guinea pig in for a day. It is a small storage like building with no windows at all (see pictures) and you can hear the doggies whine and bark sadly...

Their computers are older then my Grandmother and were not working. The whole week there was a sign "all computers out of order".
Mini golf is really MINI, I mean 3 or 4 holes, and they have the nerve to charge you for it!!!

The walk area for dogs is very nice, private and by river. I liked that a lot. There is a nice mountain view from all the campground, clean showers and a very nice hiking trail to a waterfall called Mingo Falls nearby. They have nice trout ponds.

I am sorry for my English, I am from Europe.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank sumsicz
Reviewed July 8, 2005

Friendliest staff we've experienced in years! Pools (indoor and outdoor) were just what we needed when the rain started. Kabins were clean and nicely situated in the campground, although we were glad to have bikes along so that we could make it to the pool. With so many sites (400) it was good to see so many bathrooms. And they had TV's with the Weather Channel on in the bathrooms.

• Stayed: July 2005