Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$91
$76
$69
Econo Lodge Cherokee(Cherokee)(Great Value!)
$74
River's Edge Motel(Cherokee)(Great Value!)
$100
$79
$145
$119
$101
Fairfield Inn
Hampton Inn Cherokee(Cherokee)(Great Value!)
$114
$104
Hampton.com
Rodeway Inn & Suites On The River(Cherokee)(Great Value!)
$72
Super 8 Cherokee(Cherokee)(Great Value!)
$85
$77
Travelocity
$459
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewsoutdoor poolfork riverdeluxe cabintravel trailergreat campgroundcamp storeplanned activitiesmingo fallsbig cove roadbath housepull thrudog parkgreat smokiesrv sitescamp groundlabor daycable tv
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 24, 2009

You know this time was definately different. We stayed in our usual 2 room cabin but only to bring back a few creatures that we now have confirmed were bed bugs. You know this is hard b/c I really like the enviroment of KOA. The Sunshiner staff is friendly but you do have to have a stiff approach in dealing w some of the regular staff. Upon arrival we noticed that someone has wrote in what looks to be marker on the slat of my daughters bunk "[--]" Pretty trashy. I informed staff at checkout. I also informed them of bugs...which at the time I just thought were some kind of wood bug crawling on my bedding. We had NO cable for two of the 3 days. They were attempting to fix it, however that seems to always be a problem there. The profanity bothers me b/c these cabins are cleaned and they always flip the mattresses up so I know this was definately something they would have seen! Of course they chose to leave it I guess. KOA obviously has very limited means of preventing certain infestations considering the amount of people they have coming in and out on a daily basis. We did contact KOA once we got home and realized the creatures were mixed in w/ some of our luggage. GROSS. KOA response was the typical "thanks for informing us" and some advice on how to get rid of those I brought back w/ us. You know I will say this. Be careful to NOT complain to much...I have been in the store before and heard some of the staff engaging in conversation about campers and their complaints even though the complaints are justified. I try to be very careful how I approach them if I have an issue. In fact the VERY first time I checked in to KOA I could see the screen and the comment that was left about me was and i qoute "this is a very picky lady" and remind you all I asked was to be close to a restroom. LOL They now have their computers turned in a little more. LOL

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank lovecamping1973
Reviewed May 30, 2009

We have been going to this campground for many years. We hold our family reunions here...we always have several options and everyone wants to return to Cherokee Koa.
We have noticed that it has become very congested in the last 3/4 years. It used to have security that would monitor the wild kids and quiet hours...have not seen that in the last year or so.
The big RV sites are great! We have a big rig and just love them, altho' it does take some skillful driving to get around the tight turns.
They did increase the cleaning of the bathhouses...used to be 2 times a day..now they do it 4 so that has improved.
Yes, they do charge for everything but all in all....it is a great place. You could not want more for kids...it is all here. We are disappointed that they have taken so many tent sites and grassy sites and have turned them into RV sites with the concrete pads, even tho' we are a user of them! It is just congested.
The previous owners have left and since they left, it has really changed. We still go..in fact going there this month..the 22nd until the 10 of July with the grandkids!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2009

We spent a week based internet research and rv.net and were very pleased with the location. The sites are very large and level. Road is paved and perfect for bike riding. The best feature is the location and view which is 360 degree view of the mountains. The nights/star gazing is amazing. The kids area including indoor and outdoor pool complex kept them busy. There was mini-golf and jumping pillow as well as sites along the river. Many families were rafting but our kids are too small. The location was perfect for touring as we went to Santaland, Ghosttown, National park and visited Cherokee. The have movies and great breakfast. Staff was very friendly. Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2008

We stayed at this KOA with our grandson this summer. The weekends were crazy with lots of kids, but they were having a great time. We didn't use the bath houses, but the rest of the facilities were clean and kept up well. We saw a lot of staff at all hours. Overall it was a good experience. We would go back with kids, but would stay somewhere more quiet without the grandchildren along. Take extra cash, they have lots of "rentals".

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 21, 2008

We just returned from a 5 day camping trip and I would rate this KOA a 10 for big rigs and a 5 for noise level. Great place for children but can get very noisy because so many children in the campground. If you can not handle the children then you would probably need to camp during the school year. Please drive very slowly when in the park because the children on bikes do not pay attention and don't forget the kids on 4 wheelers and on golf carts. We stayed in the VIP spot very nice and big will fit the biggest RV. The second day we had our grass cut and all the trimmings were left on the concrete which in turn you drag into your RV, this should have already been taken care of prior to arrival. The store and check in can get very hectic. I ask a young girl a question and she couldn't answer my queston and acted like I was bothering her however the next day I ask an older lady and she was very helpful. Great mountain views however the camping spots on the river were a disappointment. If you are planning on eating out while in Cherokee...cook your own food. Peter Pancake house was very good and the grill at KOA was good everything else was horrible. Harrah is very close along with all the tourist shops (kinda feels like a mini Pigeon Forge).

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank RVCAMPING88