“Great for kids”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cherokee
Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA
Texas
“Great for kids”
Reviewed November 17, 2008

We stayed at this KOA with our grandson this summer. The weekends were crazy with lots of kids, but they were having a great time. We didn't use the bath houses, but the rest of the facilities were clean and kept up well. We saw a lot of staff at all hours. Overall it was a good experience. We would go back with kids, but would stay somewhere more quiet without the grandchildren along. Take extra cash, they have lots of "rentals".

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — big, busy
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
GEORGIA
Reviewed July 21, 2008

We just returned from a 5 day camping trip and I would rate this KOA a 10 for big rigs and a 5 for noise level. Great place for children but can get very noisy because so many children in the campground. If you can not handle the children then you would probably need to camp during the school year. Please drive very slowly when in the park because the children on bikes do not pay attention and don't forget the kids on 4 wheelers and on golf carts. We stayed in the VIP spot very nice and big will fit the biggest RV. The second day we had our grass cut and all the trimmings were left on the concrete which in turn you drag into your RV, this should have already been taken care of prior to arrival. The store and check in can get very hectic. I ask a young girl a question and she couldn't answer my queston and acted like I was bothering her however the next day I ask an older lady and she was very helpful. Great mountain views however the camping spots on the river were a disappointment. If you are planning on eating out while in Cherokee...cook your own food. Peter Pancake house was very good and the grill at KOA was good everything else was horrible. Harrah is very close along with all the tourist shops (kinda feels like a mini Pigeon Forge).

• Liked — MY MOTORHOME
  • Disliked — TOO NOISY
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank RVCAMPING88
Fountain, Colorado
Reviewed June 29, 2008

This KOA is not for tenters!!! We paid for a site along the river, only to get there and find out that the tent sites along the river have been converted to cabins. We still had to pay the river site price, even though online, there are different fees. The second night of our stay it rained pretty good, and we were shocked to find water coming into our tent from the bottom. We were in about 5-6 inches of water. The attendant had put us in an rv site, instead of a tent site and it was in a dip. So we had to break down camp in the middle of the night. If we had been put in a tent site, that would not have happened. I was very unhappy with the attitude of most of the staff as well. They acted like we were putting them out when we had this issue. On Saturday we rented tubes to go down the river, and we weren't told until our return that the river was really way too low to go down. That would have been good info. to have before we spent five hours being tossed around and banged on rocks. It is sold as a relaxing 2 1/2 hour trip down the river. Didn't work out that way at all. I have stayed at several KOA campgrounds before, and I will go back KOA again, but never to this one again.

• Liked — the views
  • Disliked — site we were put in
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Shannon T
St Pete Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 8, 2008

I brought my boys 6 & 17 years old. Both boys & myself loved the property, Many things to do. Staff was excellent. Cabins were small but sufficient. Very convenient to town. 2 nice pools, wireless internet, jumping pillow, bike rental, tubing, kids crafts & activities, nightly movies, on premises food. We'll come every year. Safe for kids to have fun while a parent can relax and destress with out having to worry about them. Plenty of helpful staff on hand.

Camp is set up in away that you meet other wonderful campers

The only downfall is that the showers are not cleaned often enough. People get the area to change clothes all wet so we went back to the cabin to put on clean clothes.

• Liked — Great atmosphere & river view-sound of the river was very relaxing; friendly staff
  • Disliked — Showers weren't cleaned often enough
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank DianeDylan
Fletcher, NC
Reviewed April 6, 2008

We stayed 3 nights in March 2008 and it was by far the worst camping experience we have ever had. There were only 2 showers open for ALL of the campers to use. We have visited this campground approximately 8 times over the last 4 years, and we have watched it become rundown over the last couple of years. We were there over the opening weekend for trout fishing and were very disappointed in the upkeep of the grounds and the facilities in general. The staff there is very rude as well. Don't bother renting a golf cart because they are pieces of junk. After attempting to repair our rental golf cart twice, they finally refunded our money.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank campnc
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 21, 2007

Vacationed with another family at Cherokee KOA every year for 10 years and always loved our experience until our teen broke out overnight in a horrible rash all over him (the movie Oceans 13 shows exactly what that's like). All of our clean sheets had blood spots on them, but only my son broke out (learned later from info from the CDC that the rash was a bed bug rash and the reason the rest of us didn't break out like he did was because he was the only one severely allergic to bed bugs). We took him to the ER and the ER doctor wrote on the discharge orders that we should find different bedding, so my son slept on the porch in a hammock for the next two nights. The following morning as I lay on my bed, I saw critters (ticks and something I did not recognize) and I got a baggie and bagged them.

Our friends returned home from that same trip to find their daughter likely had rocky mountain spotted fever. They did not have the same experience in their cabin as we did (no blood spots), and figured she got the tick bite outside the cabin.

As this great place was a tradition for our families, we tried again the next year. Both families called ahead to remind the staff of what happened the year before and to make sure the cabins were fumigated. Not only did they assure us they had sprayed, they had new mattresses with vinyl protectors on them. They went the extra mile. I also brought my own spray and sprayed the cabin before we went in, although I didn't think to spray every inch of the walls. Thirty minutes after getting there, shortly after my son climbed in the top bunk, he broke out. I came prepared with prednisone, so we didn't have to go to the ER this time. We got him bunked down in the car (it was too late to leave) and when we returned to our other son in the cabin, he said: "I know what's causing it... it's these bugs coming out of the wall by his bed." Sure enough, they were the same mystery bug as I had bagged the year before. According to news reports, some of today's sprays don't have what is needed to deal with bed bugs. I assume that's what happened here--it wasn't due to lack of effort on KOA's part.

The KOA staff was very apologetic when I showed them the critters I had bagged again. They made reservations for us in the Lodge for the next year at the same price as the Kabins, but we already felt foolish enough for what happened because of our attempt to hold on to our tradition at KOA. We're going elsewhere this year, but will miss KOA Cherokee--it was an awesome place for family vacations that only got better every year until 2005.

As a disclaimer I will say again that our friends did not have bed bugs in their cabin (no blood spots) either year. I will also say we bring dogs with us every year; they don't. However, my son has never broken out in road trips with them or when they sleep in his room every night at home. He did not break out during the four-hour road trip to KOA in 2005 or 2006; both times it was after he was in the cabin.

• Liked — Chess board and staff.
  • Disliked — Bed bugs.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank baserockermom
Virginia
Reviewed April 29, 2007

vacationed there 2 summers in a row ('04,'05). Area is beautiful and campground is one of our favorites. The kids are begging to go back. Would suggest you pay the extra money for a super site as some of the gravel sites seemed to be a little soggy after raining.

Stayed June 2005