“Resort Fees?”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cherokee
Cherokee / Great Smokies KOA
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I asked why they charge resort fees and was told it was a KOA thing, probably because we have a swimming pool. They have a lot of bumble bees. The bees would bore holes in the logs of the cabin and hand rails. It was easy to see 15 to 20 bees on the porch. I have been staying here for the past 10 years, never saw anything like that. There was a lot of paving going on, drove into a hole one night. Don't drink the water. The spigot beside our cabin always had rust or mud in it The plumbing was less than desirable, hot and cold mixed up, loose toilets and sinks. I like Cherokee but I'll be staying somewhere else next time. Our stay was from 4/8 to 4/12/13

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank prospecter

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed from 3/29-4/6. We arrived on Friday the 29th and everything was fine. Everything was open when we arrived on Friday evening. Saturday was the same but on Sunday it seemed like they forgot they had guests. From Sunday through Friday the store closed early couldn't get Ice or wood as everything was locked up at 5:00 p.m. The bathrooms were a mess. It rained quite a bit and the drives were flooded. On Thursday we went to the store at around noon and there were 2 people working and 7 customers in line. Both employees were on the phone not helping the guests in line. One of the clerks commented " it looks like we're not going to get a break today". If they new what they were doing it wouldn't be a problem. I would definitely not recommend this campground to ANYONE!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Campground is older but so fun. You can tube on the river, fish, watch the movies on a huge screen or play on the jumping pillow. You can rent a golf cart or all kinds of bikes. Indoor and outdoor pool. Bands in season. A great little grill. It is in a dry county so bring any adult beverages you will want with you. People of all ages stay at this campground. Nice shady spots. Bath houses are old and not great.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 8, 2012

My family came from south Florida, Ohio, and Asheville, NC to rent 5 deluxe cabins over the Thanksgiving holidays this year. Our ages range from 11 to 83, and everyone had a great time. The campground was quiet (being off-season AND not located off a major road, like most KOAs), but there were plenty of entertainment options: indoor pool, hot tub, jumping pillow, recumbent bikes, game room, and the rocky river which ran beside all of our cabins. Plus, downtown Cherokee is close by and offers lots of other entertainment options. KOA employees were very kind and professional, the cabins were cozy and clean (with linens and kitchen supplies included), the grounds well-kept, and the Thanksgiving pot-luck, which is a tradition there, was perfect. Our KOA host provided the staples (turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, rolls, drinks) and paper goods. Campers were asked to bring a side dish or dessert. Our 16-member family (the daschund stayed in her crate in a cabin) had a delicious sit-down meal with virtually no prep time and no clean-up time. This KOA is now our go-to Thanksgiving reunion destination. A tradition has begun.

Room Tip: Call to request a cabin on the river. There's not a baqd one. Check out the campground map for a...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Vee S
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed in a one-room kabin overlooking the river. Watching and listening to the rushing water was very relaxing. The leaves were also falling, which made it even more pleasant. I did have some neighbors who chose to play their music continuously while I was there. It was great music (60's & 70's), but annoying and loud enough to intrude on my tranquility. I found it even more annoying to see that the only time I saw them in or around their kabin, was when they returned to refill their wine glasses. Apparantly, they spent most of their time at an adjacent camping area. Another camper asked me if the music bothered me, and when I said yes, she replied that she was going to the office to complain; which is why I didn't. This is a very large campground with enough bathroom and shower facilities to accommodate the crowd; they are cleaned several times each day. The campground sits on the Cherokee reservation, and in addition to the ususal state tax for accommodations (I think NC is extremely high), there is also a tribal tax. The campground was difficult to find at first (their signage needs improvement), and is far off the beaten path. Entrance to Smoky Mtn NP is just outside of Cherokee. If you are only going to the park or Maggie Valley, then it would be very convenient to stay here. I wasn't impressed with Cherokee. When traveling in this area again, I probably would not stay at this KOA, simply because of it's location. It's not convenient, at least in my eyes, to Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Cades Cove, etc. I stayed here because I got a free nite through a Hot Deal.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank trippermama
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We just took our first camping trip with the kids and I don't think we could have picked a better place. We stayed in the 2 bedroom Kamping Kabin which has no kitchen, bathroom or running water inside but has electric and is cable ready. It was exactly what I expected. We wanted the full camping experience...no bath...no kitchen. The cabin was perfect for our family. The staff was friendly and helpful. The bathrooms were for the most part always clean and we never had a lack of hot water. Our first two nights the campground was pretty quiet and the last night it was packed. We did eat at the grill a few times and the food was fast and yummy. We never used the indoor or outdoor pool but they looked nice enough. The scenery is beautiful and there is plenty to do on site. Can't wait to head back during warmer weather and enjoy the river and some tubing. We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

We loved this KOA! It was very clean and quiet. The store had an excellent selection as well as some very well priced souvenirs.

It is definitely a kid friendly campground and we appreciated the fun activities: flashlight candy hunt, tie dye (free if you bring your own shirt) and movies under the stars. As well as the amenities: game room, pools, splash playground, waterslide, mini golf, bike rentals, bounce cushion, and activities program.

The roads are blacktop so kids can (and did) ride scooters & bikes. Moms, please bring light up jewelry of some sort for riding after dark- we had a couple of near misses with kids who were not visible. There are fun bikes you can rent if you bring sneakers.

I loved that there was an air pump near the ice & firewood! The wood was 3 for $11.

There are two laundry rooms. We used one adjacent to the playground. It had a couple of machines for kids to play, a big folding table, change machine and detergent machine. Washes were $1 and dryers were $1 for 45 minutes. It was easy to wash everything while my husband packed up our tents and gear.

My favorite sites for families with independent kids:

T152 tent with no hook ups, under 3 trees, 2 tables, 2 fire pits, visibility to the bouncer, giant chess set, mini golf & bathrooms. Plenty of room for parents' tent and kids pop tent with room to play on the grass. Downside: adjacent to the fenced in dog playground.

115 Standard site with shade near the bathrooms, chess game, bouncer and mini golf.
Downside: very small site with neighbors on 3 sides.

324 standard site adjacent to the playground with visibility to the bathroom.

Ks310 Studio lodge with air conditioning & grill that has visibility to the bathroom & playground.

While there we ate at the Sunflower Cafe and the food was EXCELLENT. I highly recommend them. We did not use it but I was happy to see there is a drop in child care center near the casino for parents who want a date night.

• Stayed: September 2012