All reviewsoutdoor poolgreat campgroundbath housedeluxe cabintravel trailerbunk bedscamp storebig cove roadmingo fallsdog parkrv siteslabor daywi fihot tubfire pitlong weekendmaggie valley
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed in a one-room kabin overlooking the river. Watching and listening to the rushing water was very relaxing. The leaves were also falling, which made it even more pleasant. I did have some neighbors who chose to play their music continuously while I was there. It was great music (60's & 70's), but annoying and loud enough to intrude on my tranquility. I found it even more annoying to see that the only time I saw them in or around their kabin, was when they returned to refill their wine glasses. Apparantly, they spent most of their time at an adjacent camping area. Another camper asked me if the music bothered me, and when I said yes, she replied that she was going to the office to complain; which is why I didn't. This is a very large campground with enough bathroom and shower facilities to accommodate the crowd; they are cleaned several times each day. The campground sits on the Cherokee reservation, and in addition to the ususal state tax for accommodations (I think NC is extremely high), there is also a tribal tax. The campground was difficult to find at first (their signage needs improvement), and is far off the beaten path. Entrance to Smoky Mtn NP is just outside of Cherokee. If you are only going to the park or Maggie Valley, then it would be very convenient to stay here. I wasn't impressed with Cherokee. When traveling in this area again, I probably would not stay at this KOA, simply because of it's location. It's not convenient, at least in my eyes, to Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Cades Cove, etc. I stayed here because I got a free nite through a Hot Deal.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank trippermama
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We just took our first camping trip with the kids and I don't think we could have picked a better place. We stayed in the 2 bedroom Kamping Kabin which has no kitchen, bathroom or running water inside but has electric and is cable ready. It was exactly what I expected. We wanted the full camping experience...no bath...no kitchen. The cabin was perfect for our family. The staff was friendly and helpful. The bathrooms were for the most part always clean and we never had a lack of hot water. Our first two nights the campground was pretty quiet and the last night it was packed. We did eat at the grill a few times and the food was fast and yummy. We never used the indoor or outdoor pool but they looked nice enough. The scenery is beautiful and there is plenty to do on site. Can't wait to head back during warmer weather and enjoy the river and some tubing. We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

We loved this KOA! It was very clean and quiet. The store had an excellent selection as well as some very well priced souvenirs.

It is definitely a kid friendly campground and we appreciated the fun activities: flashlight candy hunt, tie dye (free if you bring your own shirt) and movies under the stars. As well as the amenities: game room, pools, splash playground, waterslide, mini golf, bike rentals, bounce cushion, and activities program.

The roads are blacktop so kids can (and did) ride scooters & bikes. Moms, please bring light up jewelry of some sort for riding after dark- we had a couple of near misses with kids who were not visible. There are fun bikes you can rent if you bring sneakers.

I loved that there was an air pump near the ice & firewood! The wood was 3 for $11.

There are two laundry rooms. We used one adjacent to the playground. It had a couple of machines for kids to play, a big folding table, change machine and detergent machine. Washes were $1 and dryers were $1 for 45 minutes. It was easy to wash everything while my husband packed up our tents and gear.

My favorite sites for families with independent kids:

T152 tent with no hook ups, under 3 trees, 2 tables, 2 fire pits, visibility to the bouncer, giant chess set, mini golf & bathrooms. Plenty of room for parents' tent and kids pop tent with room to play on the grass. Downside: adjacent to the fenced in dog playground.

115 Standard site with shade near the bathrooms, chess game, bouncer and mini golf.
Downside: very small site with neighbors on 3 sides.

324 standard site adjacent to the playground with visibility to the bathroom.

Ks310 Studio lodge with air conditioning & grill that has visibility to the bathroom & playground.

While there we ate at the Sunflower Cafe and the food was EXCELLENT. I highly recommend them. We did not use it but I was happy to see there is a drop in child care center near the casino for parents who want a date night.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Stacy_AGraham_NC
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this KOA for a weekend in side by side sites with our in-laws.

The campground is a ways out of town so we used Cherokee Cabs as our transportation for the weekend. When planning your trip I recommend calling the campground to ask for directions as we took a wrong turn and it became very difficult to turn around in our rv.

As a dog owner, the small fenced in dog park is a nice asset. I do wish there were more trashcans to use as you're walking your dog and cleaning up after them.

The bathrooms were as expected, but I don't have too high expectations for a Koa as a chain. Clean enough and served their purpose.

We had an issue with a staff member who stayed on site. They talked to my in laws when we returned from an evening out about their dogs barking. That was fine, but he continued to talk to them about it and it became obvious that he was intoxicated. That was very unprofessional.

If we go back to Cherokee, we would stay here again, but would probably look for another RV park.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The #1 thing about this KOA is the staff. I would have rated this campground a 2 if not for the staff. They are wonderful. We had several issues, which I will mention, but each time the staff pulled through for us. Bo, Theresa and the day manger I never got the name of are top knotch and remind me of why I love to vacaction in the south...love the southern hospitality! My family drove for about 20 hours to get there. We arrived late and the campground was PACKED! Being unfamiliar w/ the campground, it was tough to find our site. As we were aimlessly trying to find our spot Bo came up and asked if he could help. I loaded my kids onto the golf cart and away we went. Our Kamping Cabin was dirty at best. We chose to clean it ourselves and not complain...until the ant infestation. We have camped a lot so we know to keep food put away etc....the ants just kept coming, and then the roof leaked! BUT...as I said before, the staff pulled through and upgraded us to a cottage. BUT....the cottage had a VERY strong smell of gas from the fireplace so after moving all of our stuff (there were 6 of us, so LOTs of stuff) they said we could stay in the cabin next door (which meant moving again) but that refridgerator was so loud we didn't even bother...We kept the window open and only slept in the cottage two nights. So, when I mentioned this we got a full refund as the staff again pulled through. If we had to pay after all of that hassel, this review would not be a good one. The pool area was really dirty as were the Kamping Kabin sites we saw. The showers were well kept and the playground was great. The campground is set up nice but be prepared to hear your neighbors conversation, as they really pack 'em in there. No privacy in this campground. But lots of kids, which was great for us, lots to do and the location is great. Close to everything. I would stay here again BECAUSE of the staff. I feel they did everything they could to win my loyalty!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family