All reviewsoutdoor poolgreat campgroundbath housedeluxe cabintravel trailerbunk bedscamp storebig cove roadmingo fallsdog parkrv siteslabor daywi fihot tubfire pitlong weekendmaggie valley
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I'll preface my comments by saying that I'm a Guest Relations Case Manager for a major hotel chain and I've accepted that nothing in life is perfect. In my professional opinion, our stay here 02Dec-04Dec11 was great.

We were in Kottage 507 and the porch was right over Raven Fork River. It was well cleaned and stocked with fresh linens for both the bed and the Futon. The fireplace is propane based and turned on/off with a thermostat, which was helpful. The bedroom and bathroom have their own little heaters attached to the wall, these weren't working properly but still put out enough heat to warm the kottage. Our cable and internet service worked perfectly fine. The staff was friendly and helpful, as it was off season there were not many other guests.

Fishing in the trout ponds was fun, but our size 10 hooks were too small... lost a couple of fish 'cause they "jumped off" the hook at the last second. We tried homemade bait paste and marshmallows with no bites, but hooked several rainbow trout with mild-cheddar cheese.

Most things in Cherokee were closed for 'the season' but we didn't mind, had planned for a quiet, relaxing trip of fishing... and we got it :)

Room Tip: The Kottages have a great background sounds from Raven Fork... very soothing.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laura R
Reviewed December 4, 2011

The cabins are super roomy with great decks. My family had 2 cabins next to eachother right on the creek. Each cabin had full size BBQ's on the deck. I just wanted to stay there all day. The playground was a dream for little kids. It was enormous. The pool was really really nice and there was a kiddy pool too. The snack bar served great food. All the activities you want are right there in the area - hiking, tubing, rafting. The Bar-B-Que Wagon in nearby Brycon City was really good.

Room Tip: Book really early and ask for the cabins on the creek!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank dpefine
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stopped over at this KOA outside of Cherokee, NC - just on the edge of the Smoky Mountains National Park. It was a one night stay between Knoxville and the Blue Ridge Parkway in Asheville. Stayed in a Kabin - very clean and quiet. This campground is an RV park with pools and playground, camp store, trout pond. Tent spots are available, but don't expect much elbow room. The bath houses are fine.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank flinthead
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I spent the weekend in Kottage 510 and had a wonderful time. The kitchen was well equipped with toaster, coffee maker and any dishes you may need. Pots and pans were in good condition and plenty of paper products were left on hand. The river that runs in front of the kottage sounded wonderful. I do wish that the kottage areas had better/private fire rings with easier access from the front porch. The indoor pool was nice and clean. We spent the weekend here without kids but will definitely be bringing the kids/grandkids back.

Room Tip: Next time I would choose 512 because it's on the end and is more private.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2011

If the hot water in my trailer had not broken, forcing my family to use the shower and bathroom on site, I would have given this campground a higher rating.

So if you are visiting in a trailer or RV in which you will not need the bathrooms, add one to the rating and call it four stars.

The good: Great location with plenty to do right on site. The campground is very attractive and has many pull-through sites to make bringing your big rig easy and comfortable. There are Cherokee fishing ponds on site (separate fee to the local government) and the tubing river runs right past the campground. So if you take the van from the campground to tube, the river will bring you right back. The campground also has two pools - one indoor and one outdoor) and in season they have activities going on. My son did tie dye and had a great time. They also rent silly little bikes and the kids liked those a lot. The staff was very nice and the camp store is large and well stocked. We were able to get all the little extras we forgot without having to drive into a grocery store. Access to Cherokee and surrounding attractions is very convenient.

One really cool thing was the snack bar. Outside they had a big smoker spewing smoke and smelling really good. I asked and found that we could pre-order dinner from the smoke and pick it up that evening. We did this and it was a nice change. Not the best BBQ ever, but tasty enough!

The bad: This campground is very busy, and they don't seem to be able to keep up with the cleaning and maintenance on the bathrooms and showers. In short, the bathrooms were almost always dirty and the showers never had hot water... even when I tried late at night. On our third day, one entire shower area was broken and shut down. So if you are going to be using their facilities, be ready! We stayed three days and the issue was constant. I'd love to see them clean this up as the campground was so nice otherwise.

One note for getting here... the drive IN to Cherokee is very steep and there are virtually no places to pull off. This was a bit stressful as I was a bit worried about my brakes overheating pulling my trailer. When I got to the campground where everyone parks to check in, all I could smell were burning breaks from all the cars. So make sure your two vehicle can handle your trailer!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family