“Family dining”

Cuisines: Mexican
Washington, DC
“Family dining”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

On a recent business trip to Cherokee NC, I ventured out of the downtown area in search of what I was told was a wonderful Mexican diner. Sadly, my eating experience was not up to what I had been lead to believe.

I ordered a beef dish and combined with a sauce that was more glue-like than cheesie, I was not a happy camper! The strips of beef were tough, the pastry was gummy and the overall eating experience was not I wish to repeat.

The wait staff was very nice, and it is obvious by the large number of people with small children, that it is a favorite place to eat. These facts were what, for me, save what would have been an awful review.

I have had the pleasure of eating a wide variety of Mexican food and this place, for me, ranks lower than the local Taco Bell.

• Visited March 2013

NC
“Not the best taste of Authentic Mexican but ok”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This isn't the best mexican food I have had.Trust me I have enjoyed may plates. The sauces used on the enchiladas and burritos had an odd taste to me.Not necessarily bad just not as good as other mexican restaurants I have ate at.The waitress was really nice.The prices were decent and affordable.

Visited June 2012
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Good Food”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

There was nothing incredible about this place, it was very basic and typical mexican food, but in a town where there is not alot to choose from this was a good place to go that you know it would be good mexican food. Staff was very friendly.

• Visited November 2012
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Flavorless Ground Beef Masquerading as Mexican Food”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The food was just plain bad. We were a party of four adults and 3 kids, and none of the food was any good. The sauce on the burrito and enchilada had no spice. Inside was unseasoned ground beef. While it looked relatively good, there just wasn't any flavor in the whole meal. My wife's chicken fajitas were the worst she has ever had, anywhere. Flavorless chicken and dry. Not a good combination. My son's chicken fingers were horrible two. Yu would think the fried chicken fingers would have to be relatively good, but they were super dry and somewhat burnt. My son who is not picky, did not like them at all.

I don't remember what our friends had, but they were equally bad. They threw away most of their food, as did we.

My recommendation is to just stay away from Rancho Viejo.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank William U
Raleigh, NC
“Yes, there is great Mexican food in Cherokee!”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Huge menu with all of the usual Mexican foods and then some. I had "Shrimp Feista" which is lots of vegetables-- not just onions and peppers, but real vegetables-- with cheese. My husband had a great grilled chicken salad, and my son had the fajitas. All were great. Good prices, excellent service. I am glad we found this restaurant!

Visited August 2012