“sick in GA”

Harrah's Cherokee Hotel
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 12, 2007

you can never get a room always booked but if you win big they will fined,you a room when just mints,ago they had none!!!!!!!!Also you cant win much their,iv played thir ever since they opened and iv won maybe two times less than 1,000 or 1,200 dollars,Imn all these years you would think id just stop giving my cash away,Its like when they see you walk in they say oh look the sucker is back.......yes im up set but i do go to relax and end up mad because im only their for a very short time,when you put in a 20.00 dollar bill and only hit small amount two times something is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its almost like they are stealing from people and thats bad>>>>>>>
R.in ga

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank nababy

Reviewed July 29, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a night at Harrah's. We used to frequent Harrah's, but not any longer. We have been wanting to go for the weekend for a while now, but everytime I try to book a reservation, Harrah's was full. They are booked for the weekend for the rest of the year! Why? Because they give rooms as comps and the paying customers get the crap end of the stick. We were planning on staying two nights, but cut it short by one night after a not-so-fun time.

When we first got to the casino it was 3:15. They told us all they had were rooms in the "older" tower and the rooms "weren't so nice". How sad is it for the front desk to tell customers that they rooms are crappy? Harrah's used to be so nice and clean, but it's obviously going down fast.

Anyways, they told us there were no rooms ready and to come back after 4:00. So, of course, this is a way to get us to hurry to the casino while we "wait" on a room. Usually, when we've gone to check in, we always got our room right then and there. So, right off the bat, I knew this stay wasn't going to be like the rest.

The staff was very courteous and friendly. This is the only constant (and important) factor of our visit.

The Room: The room was ok. When we first walked in, we noticed it was warm. I understand if they turn down the thermostat to save money, but it took the rest of the evening for the room to cool down. The room and bathroom overall were clean. The only thing that turned me off was a grease spot on the headboard. Evidently, the don't wipe those down...after everyone's noggin has been rubbing on it. Ew.

The Non-smoking casino: You can actually play and breathe here! It was nice to not smell like smoke, but the only thing was there were no BJ tables open! They only open them if they are really busy. Hello? What about the customers that don't want emphysema?

The Casino casino: I understand people are going to smoke when they can. That's fine. My parent's have smoked ALL my life. But, can they not get a better air system that filters the smoke? All the money they take from the players, you'd think they could afford one.

I don't go into a casino expecting to win win win, but I also don't expect to lose my money within 15 min. that I sit at the blackjack table. They only had one $10 table, so we had to opt for the $15 table. All of the "good" dealers, were taken. We had a so-so guy who had the enthusiasm of a fly. After our allowance was gone, we were through. It was only 6:15! What to do now? Go to the room and watch TV, because we can't afford to do anything else!

Since there is no competition, the casino is unbeatable. The games are totally stacked against the player. Is this fun? No. Will we return. Maybe not.

I'm not expecting a Vegas experience when I go, but I want to feel I got my money's worth...If you want Vegas, go to Vegas. If you want to go to the mountains and play the slots, go to Harrah's.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank glitterdaisies
Reviewed July 28, 2007

We were booked in a non-smoking King with an upper floor requested. We got it all except the non-smoking part and the room smelled much like the casino floor, but since we all smelled like smoke when we came upstairs from playing in the casino, we didn't notice. Our room was very nice, great view, nice temp control, great coffee, love the jacuzzi tub and the toilet in a separate room from the sink and tub. Check out is 11, but we have never had any problem calling the desk and asking for a late check out. They usually say noon, but I have sweet talked them into 1pm before too. The valet parking is convenient, but if you want to park yourself, the parking garage is very easy and safe. The rooms do NOT have an in room safe. It is a dry county because it is a Cherokee Indian Reservation, FYI. Casino is huge and quite smoky. They do have a reputation for being tight, but we seem to have done ok our last few trips. Any thing in moderation, if you can't afford to lose it, don't spend it! As Total Reward Diamond members, we have access to the brand new Seven Sisters Lounge. A beautifully appointed "lounge", they have a full buffet going all the time with boiled shrimp, pasta, salad, chicken fingers, and they change the fare frequently. The only drawback is that you only get to go in once a day for free. All other visits are charged $10 per person from your comp account. They have opened a new fine dining and closed the steak house.

The hotel is situated in the Great Smoky Mountains and is a short drive to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WanderingWomanTN
Reviewed July 21, 2007

I have played in casino's from Reno to Vegas to Florida to Minnesota, Cherokee is THE WORST !!! You will not be playing long, unless you robbed Johnney's piggy bank. What a terrible waste of time and money. I should have filed a police report, I felt like someone whacked me in the head with a two-by four....then took all my money, shame.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank BigDennis
Reviewed June 6, 2007

My first stay in the Harrah's hotel in Cherokee was a delight. The room is spacious, clean, and filled with amenities not found in other area hotels. I enjoyed the whirlpool tub and separate water closet. These were nice touches. I do wish that there had been a wet bar and stocked minibar, however. Since many restaurants on-site close relatively early (in casino terms), it would be nice to return to snacks and drinks. After 10 p.m., the limited selection at the Fresh Market Express or the convenience store across the street are the only options.

I would like to say that most of the reviews below deal with the casino. While this may be the primary reason you visited the hotel, the features of the casino have nothing to do with the hotel. The hotel itself is nice.

The rates for the hotel are higher than the other properties in the area. This is not a fair comparison since the Harrah's hotel is in a completely different category. The nearest hotels which offer this level of accommodation are in Asheville and Knoxville.

The only thing I did not like about my stay was the hotel staff's use of two-way radios in the hallways. This became annoying and they woke me up two days in a row, once in the afternoon and then the next morning. I understand the benefit of these devices, but the radios need to be controlled so that the "Do Not Disturb" sign is respected.

I will definitely return to the Harrah's hotel and I look forward to recommending it to other people. Availability is limited since the hotel controls its inventory tightly. If you want a hotel room on par with other major cities, this is the best choice in town.

• Stayed: June 2007
12  Thank 37
Reviewed May 18, 2007

My wife and I had a fantastic time at Harrahs. The staff was very friendly. The restauant food was great. The room service was very fast and the food was wonderful. We even won enough in the casino to pay for the trip. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JIMSC46
Reviewed April 27, 2007

This was our first visit and last to Hurrah's in Cherokee. This is a smoker's paradise! If smoking bothers you, don't go. They do have a couple of SMALL non-smoking rooms away from the large main casino. However, the machines there are very limited. I had to go to the main casino to play my favorite poker slots. There were only 3 tables for digital blackjack available in the non-smoking section and they were closed.

Smoking is allowed in the dining rooms though they are quick to point out that the smoking section is separate. Big deal. As I pointed out to management, that was like segregating the pool into a urinating side and a clean side.

The buffet was good though a little overpriced.

Fred