“Great time at the casino”

Harrah's Cherokee Hotel
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 15, 2010

This is not the first time we have been to this casino and it won't be the last. Althought the slots are tighter then I have ever seen them, we had a great time. The buffet was great but I can't say the same for the same for the Selu Garden Cafe. The food we got there was very bland even after adding salt and pepper to it. Will not stop in there for breakfast before we leave again. The staff was even better then ever, helping us get the wheelchair in and out of the van and getting us to our room. The front desk was great.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 11, 2010

we had a wounderfull time the room was very nice .The bed was very conforntable .The food at buffet was very good .in room coffee was nice they even brought more for us coffee drinkers .The only things I could say bad was that the bathroom floor was not clean around the walls . The wall in the tolite area needed some cleaning I think it had been forgoten many times.wish they would have given us enough towles for the people in the room .The jack hammer was anoying at 630 am .I think that e-net should be free not a charge of 12.00 a day. over all I think it was a very nice place to stay.we will stay again thank you harrahs for a great time.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2010

You should just take off your shirt and hand it to them when you get there. You would have a better chance investing your money in lottery tickets. I have been going here for years because it is close but each time it gets worse and worse. If you leave only losing a couple of hundred here you feel like a winner. One time in the many trips I have made I won 1200 but that was 4 years ago . The digital blackjack is rigged because every time the pit boss goes to punching buttons the whole table starts losing if you can't win with a 21 in black jack something is wrong. The dealer kept having 20 and 21 the whole entire shew even with a bust card showing. The hotel rooms are nice but the food in the casino is awful I usually eat out side of the casino but tried out the buffet again this last time and the food was equal to hospital food bad hospital food. Cold dry soggy fried chicken was the highlight of the buffet. It makes for a okay over night trip if you really don't mind throwing your money away. I am going to go to Tunica soon and I will not return to Harrah's Cheorkee for a long time maybe once in a while for a overnight trip to see the mountains but I think I am done for this year with Harrah's Cheorkee

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Been going to Cherokee since '04 and after 6 years I'm finally at a Platinum level. This casino is getting worse and worse like everyone is saying. Can't get a hotel room to save our lives. Used to be able to call and reserve one instantly, not anymore. It's great if you are retired, no problem, but not if you WORK. Food is horrible no matter which one you choose to dine. All of the choices are a joke. Most of them are equivalent to a trip the drive thru at McDonald's or Pizza Hut. Used to be a pack/day smoker and even I think the smoke is definitely one to be desired. The casino is always PACKED on Saturdays due to all the buses that tour the area, you're lucky to even get near your favorite machine. Speaking of machines, as we all agree...you don't/can't win here! During the peak times (Fri-Sun) the bathrooms are overflowing with urine and feces. Some people even take naps in the women's bathroom because there's a couch to lounge. Our last visit was 2/19/10 - 2/21/10 and we had to pay $220 (total) to stay at the Holiday Inn across the street which too needs a makeover, because we couldn't get a room. I emailed what they call a "manager" following the weekend and complained about everything you are reading in this review. He said sorry for your luck on their machines, wanted to know more info about the bathrooms (times/days) so they can fire the person working - not my job to do that. He also said to book your room at least a month in advance - "that's what all of our Top Players do". He said Sycamores/Creek was their "flagship"...the mashed potatoes were colder than my shrimp cocktail, and the shrimp were so dry I felt like I was eating leather. He told me I should've complained THEN not NOW. His offer? A $50 gift certificate to Sycamores on the Creek!!!!!!! What a joke! Save your money is right!!! You won't have any when you leave Cherokee...

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank slotplayer123
Reviewed March 17, 2010

My husband I visited the casino for two nights in February. I was actually very pleased with our room, the bathtub was awesome, and the bed was very comfortable. The only complaints that I have is that there is nothing to do but gamble! Don't get me wrong, we both love to gamble, but there needs to be stuff to do so that you can take breaks, in between shoving your money into machines. When the addition opens up in a couple of years, it'll be much better with shopping, bars, etc... In the meantime, they should at least put a bar somewhere inside the casino so that you can relax and have a coctail before going back onto the casino floor. Besides that, we had an overall nice stay. We lost a lot of money the first night, but won most back the second night.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2010

Hotel is ok if you can manage to get a comp room by booking over a month in advance. paying cash for a room would be a ripoff as they are in the middle of expansion construction with the noise starting at 7am.
The current rooms are getting a bit dated, they did add a new higher priced resteraunt, but everything else in this hotel is 15+ years old.

The casino is sad...last st.patricks day they decided to take all the pot o gold machines out of action for retooling...Really? take all the irish themed machines down on st. patty's day? this shows the lack of common sense and disregard management has for players. Recently they have the casino floor torn up for thier expansion (actually making it smaller) they took out a bunch of machines and added a poker room where you play hold em on video screens...big waste of space. they have a small area for non smokers with less machines than before. They took out a bunch of machines and replaced them with penny slots, but the so called penny slots run 50 cents to 2 dollars a pull to cover the available play lines. the machines are the tightest I have seen them in 15 years of going here. they even get on the PA and announce jackpots of a few hundred dollars just to remind players that someone is winning, even if it is a small amount. live dealers standing behind video blackjack screens never did thrill me. Computer rigged video games arent a substitute for real cards, dice or roulette. If you want to donate to the indians construction project,waste your time and money here, if not save up and go to Biloxi or Tunica where they have real gambling and not a sad substitute like Cherokee.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wise2u
Reviewed March 3, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Harrah’s Cherokee on February 17th. We arrived very late in the night, and although we didn’t use their services, there were still plenty of valet attendants in spite of the late hour. Check-in was quick and easy, and we were very pleased with our room. The bathroom was very large, and the toilet was in a smaller room by itself within the bathroom. The bed was super comfortable, and the room also had a couch, coffee table, and dining table with two chairs. The room was decorated with a modern design. Overall, it was a great experience and I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business