“Lovely hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pa.
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed October 12, 2008

We stayed at Harrah's Cherokee for one night while on a Smokey mountain vacation. The rooms are huge, clean, attractively decorated and comfortable. The on site restaurant, the Sulu cafe, is very good with excellant service. The overall appearance of the hotel and grounds is very attractive with the Cherokee theme troughout. The casino is much like most casino's. We where able to play for quite awhile on our set $ amount. I found it no tighter than any other casino's I have been to and always go hoping to win , but expecting to lose. The overall experience was very enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank htmsnag

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,144)
  • Korean first
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed September 25, 2008

The Harrah’s Cherokee Hotel is nice enough as far as the hotel goes. The hobby is nice, has lots of art and is fairly attractive. The rooms have nice beds and other amenities are nice as well. Huge flat panel TV was a nice touch (great to watch the game on).

The customer service for the check in staff was very nice, the people were friendly and made sure that I had what I wanted. However, the staff at the restaurant were less than friendly and the food was terrible! One thing I witnessed that I really don’t care for was as I was eating dinner a manager at the restaurant was giving a server a talking to and a write up right out in the dining room where all the guests could hear. This was totally unprofessional!

The casino is ok, compared to casinos elsewhere in the county it leaves a lot to be desire, but considering it is the only casino in the entire southeast US it is the only place to go for hundreds of miles.

I would suggest that if you can get a deal on the room on one of those promotional stay things it is worth the money and I would suggest going elsewhere to eat (Maggie Valley has several nice places).

• Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank JonLugoff_SC
Liberty,
Reviewed September 21, 2008

Beautiful area, great people. Only complaint we have to report is the distance between rooms and casino - quite a walk. Have been coming here for many years because of the shorter distance for us to travel. However, the slots are very, very tight and unless they loosen up a bit we may cut down on our visits. A shame, really. Love the Selu restaurant. Good meals, good prices. How about a comfortable lounge with a cocktail??
Loosen up the slots!!

Stayed August 2008
DALLAS, GA
Reviewed August 1, 2008

Why would anyone from Ga go to Cherokee? They do not offer alcohol and they do not have table games. I would rather drive several more hours or take a flight to real casinos. Not serving adult beverages or having table games is a real turn-off for true gamblers. Can you imagine no adult beverages in Las Vegas or any of the other gambling halls. I am not advocating that we allow drunks to make a spectacle, but the other world class casinos control this effectively. Until they move up to the modern times, I will not return. If I want to go to a kid friendly destination, I will go to Disney. Even they sell adult beverages. I think it is time to move on and I would be a regular customer. What in the world are they thinking. I read the stories about their mothers becoming alcoholics. I am certain if they want to drink, they are. Casinos are a place for adults to go have a good time, so lets move on and get the job done correctly. And as far as table games, I promise that their moms can lose as much money on slots as they will on table games.

A dissatisfied customer from Ga that would bring a lot of money to their casino.

• Disliked — no adult beverages and no table games. Please share this with the tribe. I think the bootleggers are keeping them dry.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HARRAHSNEEDSHELP
Ohio
Reviewed July 30, 2008

Met friends for a day while vacationing in N.C. at the casino, used the Valet parking since it was quite busy, and construction around. thought it would be easier. But our CD's came up missing and I had called them, gave them the day and name and phone no. but nothing.

• Liked — Didn't stay at the hotel. Just went to meet friends and gamble at the casino
Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cuttnlady
Western North Carolina
Reviewed July 20, 2008

We stayed the weekend in the Soco Tower Premium Room and loved it! We were in Cherokee to attend the Festival of the Native Peoples and the local production "Unto These Hills." We were not there to gamble, which is more then likely the higher rating of the hotel from us, as it seems most complaints on the site are about the casino and not the rooms or service.

The hotel is very nice and the Soco Tower Premium Room has a FABULOUS view and the room is updated, clean and beautifully appointed. The indoor pool was a favorite with the kids. This is the nicest place to stay in Cherokee by far and we were not disappointed. Comfortable and Friendly.

Since Cherokee is a dry county we knew to bring our own bottles of wine and and liquor for cocktails. We brought our own vintage to Sycamores On The Creek and the server promptly opened our bottle and kept our glasses at a decent level. The food was not extraordinary but it was very good and probably the best in the area.

Everyone we encountered was friendly and professional. The staff was wonderful with the children and we had a great time in Cherokee.

The Festival of the Native Peoples was small but the performances were on the mark. The dancers were incredible and extremely talented. We couldn't help but feel extra special that were able to witness this event! The production of "Unto These Hills" was entertaining and the children enjoyed it.

We did find that the best places to shop for local art was not on the main drag. If you are there for local art it is best to seek out the small workshops of the local artisans. The shops were more on the trinket and tee shirt side whereas the fine art was viewed by appointment only or by sheer chance. We found that beautiful jewelery, wood sculptures, musical instruments and traditional art abounds!

We would recommend this hotel for comfort and nice accommodations. Most of these reviewers are reviewing the casino and how it did not pay out.... but if you are just staying in the hotel to visit the area.... this is as good as it gets.

• Liked — Very Nice Accommodations
  • Disliked — Needs a more upscale restaurant
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank NcMysteryShopper
Reviewed July 9, 2008

The Hotel is very nice, and the atmosphere is great. It is just so hard to get a room. You need months advance notice! If you can get a room it is well worth it. I was toward the top and had a great view. The bathrooms are wonderful! The tub is large enough for two..... quite comfortably!
The county is dry so drinks would be nice. The payoffs are not as great as other parts of the country. The nice part of the casino is the non-smoking area. Though it could have been bigger. Everyone was very nice and went out of their way to help you. I even had a cleaning lady offer to get a drink for me so I wouldn't have to leave a "hot' machine! Great service!

• Liked — bathrooms
  • Disliked — Hard to get a room!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple