“Nice and relaxing stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Orange Park, Florida
“Nice and relaxing stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

From the early check in at no extra charge to the morning we left it was a great stay. The housekeeping staff were very helpful and the hotel even brought a
Microwave to our room at no charge.
The room was clean and airy. The pool was not open due to refurbishing of it and the spa area.
The staff in the casino are very help and not at all pushy or rude ( hello Vegas) . And no one stuffing flyers in your face

• Stayed September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,428)
  • Korean first
Clementon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a very nice family friendly hotel. There's plenty of sitting areas throughout the hotel & great scenery & decor both inside & out. There's a nice variety of eateries & the food at the buffet is excellent by any standards but exceptional for a buffet. The casino is pretty big with a good variety of games of all denominations & plenty of gaming space for smokers & non smokers alike. My only negatives are the terrible cell phone reception(more of a geographical problem) & the housekeeping crew seems to be understaffed as we stayed for 3 nights & the room was only cleaned once. The pool was under construction so that was a little disappointing. Other than that it was a very good mini vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JayGrif
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed one night thank goodness - external fans from adjacent lower building made noise that could be interpreted as white noise but I thought it was just plain loud. Told by desk clerk that I was the first person to complain. That made me feel pretty dumb. Maintenance fellow sent up to check my room fan was polite but no help whatsoever. We will avoid the middle buildings & 16th floor in particular in the future. Or just stay off site quietly as we did last time. What a difference!

• Stayed August 2013
lyons,ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Excellent place to stay. I had a five star experience, some rooms have Jacuzzis. On the bottom floor there is a game room for the children, Also there is a indoor Swimming Pool and A Fitness Room. Every thing is always clean and maintained. The Newest Rooms are the Creek Tower and all other Rooms are being Remodeled. I guess the only thing I can say I liked the least was the Parking Garage was a little tight to park in, if it is crowded. But then what Parking Garages are not!

Room Tip: Don't get room near Eleavator or Ice Machine.
Green Features: Energy Star Guest Room Appliances, If there's no Microwave in Room and you want one just ask House Keeping.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Cherokee, North Carolina is a bit out of the way to get to. Winding, mountainous roads have to be traversed to find Cherokee, but what a find it is. Nestled in the hills of the Smokies, the air is crisp and clean, and before you know it, you've arrived at Harrah's Casino. With three towers of guest rooms, numerous restaurants and a buffet that is very reasonably priced, one's basic needs are well taken care. As a former smoker, the air inside the casino could be a bit cleaner (they do allow cigars), and the non smoking area is rather small, not well marked and often selfish people walk through toking away. I often wait until the wee hours of the morning to do my gambling when it's much easier to find a machine, less competition and far fewer smokers to deal with. The employees tend to be very friendly and helpful, and the whole place is kept clean.

Room Tip: Not much of a view from most of the rooms. If you have difficulty with tub/showers, request a room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Winchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I read a bunch of negative reviews about this place. So I had already told my wife to not expect anything. I was surprised and actually thought it was awesome. The drive was beautiful and
I enjoyed driving through the mountains. We didn't have any issue parking and walked right in and started hitting the slots. I won one my first pull of the evening and was lucky all night. I know this place has a reputation for the tighest slots, so when my machine started taking my money back, I just bet the smallest amount until it starting hitting again. The only negatives were the casino is very smokey and our clothes reeked like an ashtray when we left. Also we had a cheeseburger at Johnny Rockets and it was un edible. They had pretty descent entertainment
the night we were there and we stayed about 6 hours. Now the drive out of there can be pretty hairy at 3 am, so keep that in mind.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank WinchesterSailing
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I decided to try Harrah's Cherokee because we love the North Carolina mountains and we also like to gamble occasionally. The hotel is somewhat unique in that it is a resort property with a peaceful creek running through the middle but, at the same time is virtually in town. It is located in a beautiful area of the mountains just a few minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway. First I want to give extremely high marks to the staff. We have traveled a lot and, except for hotels on the very high end like Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons, I don't ever recall staff that was so friendly, accommodating, and professional and that includes everyone from the greeters to the bell hops to the maids to the restaurant staff. The property is well maintained for a resort this large (over 1100 rooms). Our room was spacious and had all the modern vestiges of comfort and convenience that one could ask. The property has just finished a new fitness center and, although small for the size of the property, it has everything you will need for a good workout. They use Life Fitness equipment; a brand I much prefer. They are building a new pool but, it looked like nobody was working on it when we were there. Hopefully, it will be ready by next summer. I found three negatives at this hotel that kept me from giving it an excellent rating. First, the casino is huge even by Las Vegas standards yet they allow smoking virtually everywhere except in a small area near a food court. Frankly we would have spent much more time in the casino if we weren't so bothered by the smoke. Second, they keep the hallways to the rooms very cold. So cold that we literally walked as fast as we could to get to or from our room each time. Lastly, I was disappointed in the way they offer food. I know that sounds like an odd choice of words. They have a few very good restaurants for dinner but, the breakfast choices leave a lot to be desired. They have the main restaurant where you can sit and be waited on. Other than that, there is a Starbuck's with very limited choices and nothing cooked to order of course or the donut shop in the food court. It seems to me that a hotel of this size should have a separate restaurant where you don't have to wait to be seated and you can go buffet style for eggs, pancakes, grits, oatmeal, etc. without spending a lot of time. That really surprised me. One other piece of advice; don't choose the buffet for dinner in the main restaurant. Considering the fact that we found all other meals to be very good, this was incredibly bad. Overall a very nice place but, still not the best.

Green Features: What amazed me was that there are no recycle baskets in the rooms or around the property
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple