“'Beautiful hotel' great entertainment, good food, 'tight slots'”

Harrah's Cherokee Hotel
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 17, 2004

We have been to Harrahs casino and hotel, several times, the hotel is just beautiful, the rooms are nice and big, and very comfortable, but the casino on the other hand needs alot of improvements. The smoke about chokes you to death, the cold air blowing on you about freezes you, and the slot machines are so tight, that you can't win anything.In the beginning the machines use to be lose and you enjoyed playing there, because you could win alittle something, but no more. until they loosen up those machines, we won't be going back.

9  Thank casinomama

Franklinville, North Carolina
Reviewed February 16, 2004

My wife and I visited and had a wonderful time. We won alittle but just had a great time.The casino was better than we thought it would be.We will be back very soon.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Abingdon,Va
Reviewed February 8, 2004

Very nice hotel,courteous staff but the machines are the tightest I've seen in casinos from here to California,and believe me I have been in oodles of them.What happened! When the casino first opened it was great to come as often as I could.I understand the hotel and other new things have to be paid for but you sure have a lot of empty machines with no one to play them.The new games are great if only they would pay out enough to at least make it worth our time to come there.I don't come with the intention of winning a small fortune because I pretty much know that won't happen but I would like to enjoy myself while I pay to play your machines.So come on guys,loosen up.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 4, 2004

My wife and just I spent three nights at the Casino Hotel and were delighted with the lovely hotel room; it is clean and comfortable and quiet. The Casino is bright and cheerful and has a snack bar and two restaurants. The food is very reasonably priced, too. The hotel has a nice restaurant, as well, and a neat coffee shop overlooking a rushing stream. We have been there over 50 stimes in the past four years! It is our favorite casino!!

We especially like the fact that the Casino has many different five cent machines, and lots of quater ones as well. So many Casinos have mostly 50 cent and dollar machines. The employees are Harrah's Casino at Cherokee are among the nicest of any casino we have visited (maybe a dozen others). They are courteous and always available. When you do win, they come quickly to pay and offer some words of congratulations.

Most of the customers are older folks, and there is smoking allowed in most parts. But there are no smoking areas, and since the ceilings are so high, the air is not nearly as bad as other places like Tunica (we were there last month).

Finally, the setting of Cherokee is very attractive and in a mountain valley with a small river rushing through it. There are many low priced hotels around, many camp sites, and plenty of shops selling Indian souvenirs. The roads are narrow and winding from the East, but good from the North and West (Tennessee).

Go and have a good time. One caution: no one under 21 is allowed inside, though there are arcade and video games in the hotel and casino for children. They enforce this rule. Also, for us this was great, but there is no alcohol available in this county, so be warned. So, no drunks stragger around the casino.

There are lots of interesting places nearby to visit from spring to fall such as Maggie Valley, Waynesville, and the Great Smokey Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway. This is a great vacation location, as well as a great hotel and casino.

11  Thank Nancy L
Pawleys Island, SC
Reviewed January 27, 2004

Just a wonderful place we could smoke and not worry about drunks falling on our family, as we do not drink, We will be going back soon!!!!!! Excellent food Too.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Columbia, MD
Reviewed January 6, 2004

The hotel was wonderful, but the casino was not the greastest I have ever been to. It was fill with cigarette smoke and there was no alcohol permitted, because it is a dry state. The employees was not that friendly and the machines all had an hit or spin on them, making it hard to win anything. I wolud not go back again.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member