“Inconsistent policies on indentification”

Harrah's Cherokee Casino Resort
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife, 22 year old daughter and myself went to the Cherokee area for a three day weekend. All three of us are gold members.I was a diamond member in the past and my wife was a platinum member in the past. Our member status has been dropped to gold over the last couple of years due to not going to the casino enough and spending enough money. We could never get a room at Harrah's even when we tried a month in advance and the comps were starting to be scaled back or eliminated all together(poor marketing decision to their customers by the way/No incentives to come and spend your money if they don't tempt you with some comps). Anyway back to the complaint.Our daughter is new to the casino experience due to just turning 21 last year. Harrah's Cherokee is a three hour drive from where we live. After arriving at our hotel, my daughter discovered she did not have her total rewards card and her drivers license. She did have her state issued drivers license that had expired last year that she didn't realize she still had(which should have been turned in to the DMV when she got her new one). We went to the casino on Sunday night and went to the Total Rewards counter to get a new card, The customer representative took her expired drivers license as proof of who she was, looked her up in the computer and issued her a new total rewards card and was very friendly and helpful. When we tried to enter the casino, the security person stopped her and said he needed to see her ID. She looks younger than 22. After the drivers license was showed to him, she was told she could not enter because her license was expired and it was not a valid ID. It of course had her picture and date of birth on it. Wait a minute here. The Total Rewards desk just accepted it and issued her a replacement card so she could gamble in the casino and now security would not let her enter the casino. My wife was very aggravated and upset. She requested for the security supervisor who came to our location. She showed up and was very rude to my wife when she tried to question the situation. No customer service skills at all. She stated that anyone looking under 30 years of age would be requested to provide ID. What? The age to enter is 21 and they ID anyone looking under 30? This is not true because I stood there and watched plenty of people enter that did not look 30 and were not asked for ID. She said they would not accept the state issued drivers license because it was expired. My wife asked how do they know all these people that were walking right by the security person had a valid ID on them. She stated that they did not know. She stated she didn't make the rules and that the EBCI did. She stated we could speak to the casino manager but I said no because I knew we were in a no win situation and told my wife and daughter that we just needed to leave. My wife had to get in a last comment about their discrimination for dropping Paula Deen and I told my wife that the supervisor was an idiot which she heard and stated "she didn't appreciate". Only bad experience we have ever had there.Staff in the past were always friendly/helpful. I don't think we will be returning. We may visit one that is further away for the experience of it. Thanks.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
16  Thank Eddie W
There are newer reviews for Harrah's Cherokee Casino Resort

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Hotel is top notch and clean and the view of the smokies from the rooms are breathtaking. The Casino is smoky.... what casino's arn't. I felt the crowd was a mix of older people and chineese travelers. Not much on the 21-50 year old crowd. They did not have many $5 tables open. And those $5 blackjack tables that were open were the computer blackjack tables. If you wanted a more traditional blackjack tabel were the dealer actually deals you "Real" cards you needed to go to the $15 tables.

2  Thank Jack B
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed at the Cherokee Casino and parked in the hotel parking structure. After returning home I noticed my trailer $75 hitch was gone. I called security at the Cherokee Casino and gave them my information. They called back and told me "we saw you pull in with a hitch on your truck and when you pulled out the video showed the hitch was missing", but they could tell when the hitch was taken. Furthermore, they told me several other hitches had been stolen over the past couple of years, I think they should have put out a special notice about securing hitches. I do not feel safe in the parking structures anymore.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Robert P
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights at the beginning of July. Our room was very nice and clean. The casino has smoking and non-smoking sections which we appreciated. I do wish there had been more video blackjack machines.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank TripGal25
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We arrived for our 3 night comped stay on June 18th. We had no trouble parking in the Hotel self park garage and finding a spot near the elevators. We knew to go to the 2nd floor and were going to use the hotel self check in Kiosk, however since we had used both Total Reward numbers for our reservation we got a message to go to hotel check in, one floor down.

There was no line and we were immediately checked into a Creek Tower room on the 17th floor. Upon entering the room we were pleased with the layout. Separate water closet from the vanity/shower area of the bath. A wet bar area with ice bucket and refrigerator under the counter. Nice TV ( although the satellite went out the 2nd night and did not come back on). Work desk had a table under it that rolled out into the room if you wanted to eat at a table, very clever and probably goes unnoticed by many! King size bed was a bit soft for our liking, but the sheets were fine! Small couch and coffee table were nice for relaxing. Lots of plugs and light switches, however it was a bit dim at times.

We didn't find the walk to the casino that far as we are used to casinos in Las Vegas. Food court choices could be better, seem a bit limited. Paula Deen's was okay, we ate there the day before the news stories came out.

Casino was fun, lots of newer machines, although we didn't win we didn't lose a lot either. VP pay tables were not good anywhere in the casino that we could find.

We also made a couple of trips over to Gatlinburg during our stay.

Overall it was a nice place, the pool was closed which we would like to go back and enjoy, so we will go back.

Room Tip: Make sure to park in the HOTEL self park if you do not valet not the Casino self park if you are che...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank teachrsue
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed here for three nights and with my total rewards card got for free. Beds are very comfortable . I didn't get the room I signed up for online though ( not sure why?) Housekeeping was very friendly. I think they could have some sort of free breakfast though to the people staying and also free wi fi would be nice. Overall very clean and nice stay!

Room Tip: make sure you check with harrahs and see if pool is open before traveling with kids . they were upda...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sb2999
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Extremely large complex, lovely setting. On site hotel has large comfortable rooms. Rooms are very far from Casino floor, so could be a problem for people with limited mobility. Unlike most casino resorts there are charges for EVERY thing including NO free drinks in casino EVEN when you are gambling.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family