“Had A Great Week-end! Mt. Airy N.C.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Harrah's Cherokee Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mt. Airy N.C.
“Had A Great Week-end! Mt. Airy N.C.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2008

My wife and I usually go to Harrah's Cherokee once a month, we live 3 1/2 hours away. I alway's feel lucky at this casino, the hotel room's are alway's clean and maintained. Restaurant's all have good food and employee's very friendly! We have reservations for this memorial day week-end.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank tbeaver2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,449)
  • Korean first
Winston Salem NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2008

The casino part was so very bad. I would say it would be wiser if you wanted to just throw your money away.. is to just toss it out the window. I have been going for years and still refuse to learn that lesson. Any of you thinking about going there, please let me say.... go somewhere else. The machines are tight and it is a known fact that THEY DO HAVE THE ABILITY TO TURN THE MACHINES ON AND OFF and it is a known fact that some of the people that do win are plants..(people who are placed in there to supposedly win but are really employees of Cherokee or hired) so that of course you see someone winning big and make the mistake of thinking you can win too. They need some competition in order to make this a real casino. As of now, I dont call it a casino where you place your money in a machine with the chance to win.. its simply a donation. If you do.. DO NOT EXPECT TO WIN.

• Liked — The ride up the mountain.
  • Disliked — The gambling was only a donation. Nobody really wins
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank goldengurl412003
Daytona Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2008

May 08, 08

I've just returned from a 3 day stay at Harrah's in Cherokee, NC. This is my 4th visit to the Casino, but my first time taking advantage of my complimentary nights. Anytime you gamble at Harrah's you will need to get your total rewards card to gamble. I have received specials in the mail and thought I would really check out the services and property. I was leary after reading some reviews.
There is no catch to using your complimentary nights. The minute you drive up to the valet parking for registration they are on you in a second. Our bellhop's name was Sonny, who was extremely polite and quick to take what we needed up to our room. The front desk help was unbelievably friendly. The room was clean and the bellhop even went and got some ice for us before he left. I couldn't believe how beautiful the view was. We were nestled in the Smokey Mountains and the feeling was very relaxed. I actually got free wireless thanks to the Days Inn across the street. Otherwise you have to pay for the service.
The food, no matter where you eat is excellent. We ate for free due to our reward bonus points. The fish and chips at the Fresh Market was excellent! The service I can not give them enough credit.
My friend forgot her toothbrush and they brought one right up! The gambling is what you make of it. I played on $200.00 for 3 days and left $50.00 in the hole! I recommend the Wheel of Fortune machines...a Blast!
Waitresses constantly bringing juice, soda or coffee. This is a alcohol free resort. The reason is that alcoholism is prone on reservations and there is no alcohol in Cherokee, NC, so if you must drink, get it before you go.
This is my favorite place to gamble and sightsee. There is so much to do in Cherokee. Take your time and enjoy yourself. Gatlinburg, TN is only 33 miles away. Ask for the back road directions. It's close to Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge and so much more. I rate this AAA+++
PS: use your reward card within 6 months to keep the bonus's up to date. They expire otherwise.
Good Luck

Ellenwood
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2008

I am writing this as I sit in the lounge of the Ramada across the street from the Harrah's casin/hotel. I am a first time visitor & the Ramada was my lodging choice , although I spent the entire day at the casino, when not riding around looking for local amenities.Of which there are very few , probably due to the absence of alcohol sales. Dining best bets are the Hotel restaurants. Although pricey,they are good. Other dining is reserved to fast food,Wendy's ,Backyad Burgers, and KFC. There are a few local joints, a steakhouse & Grany's country type buffet , but stick to the hotel & you're making the best choice. Imagine our surprise when we could not find anywhere outside the hotel to eat after 8pm because they were all closed. Even the local Pizza Inn.
The casino experience was less than our usual trips to the Grand Hotel & Casino on the Gulf coast. The slots were very tight & allowed very little payoff despite a $500.00 deposit from my wife & I. The Hotel was very smokey from the entrance all the way through. The childrens arcade was fun for the kids, & the sitting area with a very large fireplace was comfortable. If seeking alternate lodging , I reccomend the friendly Ramada, Holiday Inn, or fairfield. All are in walking distance & very well kept. The locals are very free with discussing their Indian heritage & the workings of the reservation politics . In short this is a quaint little town that is surrounded by the natural beauty of the mountains that can be an enjoyable getaway. The casino was our focus as we headed off to the Blueridge mountains but the bit of Indian history we picked up along the way was a bonus worth the dough we dropped at the casino. As for us , we decided against returning to the casino,deterred by the very stingy machines.

Stayed April 2008
Northern Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2008

Came here for a conference. New, spacious and capacious facility. Great rooms, comfortable beds. Casino connected. Restaurants on site are very good.

To see anything beyond the hotel casino, even downtown Cherokee village, requires a car and a fair drive. Restaurant offerings other than fast food are at least 20 minutes away to the north or south. Our stay was too late in the year to take advantage of the outdoor theater presentations.

Tribally owned, brand new facility, it is in competition with other, smaller hotels/motels in what has long been a tourist town.

Located in a valley of the Smokies and close to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, with nice views of mountains from the upper floors. Modern rooms, WiFi in the rooms.

Blue Ridge Parkway starts in Cherokee, with a slow, twisty, and fabulously scenic drive along the Blue Ridge. Just over the mountains to the north are Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg TN, which are heavily touristed, with more upscale tourist joints and attractions. On weekends Cherokee is busy, but it is vacant compared to bumper-to-bumper traffic in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.

Stayed September 2007
lexington, ky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2008

Casino - We did not stay at the hotel but just went to visit the casino one night, when we were staying in Gatlinburg, TN. It was only about a hour drive and it was the first casino that my girlfriend and I have ever been too. That casino was clean and the people were very nice and helpful. Their is smoking allowed so you will deal with that but you are able to get free drinks and water at anytime. We went on a night it was not busy, but we were their for a couple of hours and did not lose that much, and heard a couple of people with nice pots. We had a blast, and was able to play on a minimal budget, we hit alot of times, especially on the wheel of fortune machines. We will go back again next time we come back to Gatlinburg, TN.

Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Greenville, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2008

Our 3rd time staying at this hotel and it was another wonderful time! Our room was, once again, comp'd and it was upgraded to a premium. Awesome king bed with feather bed mattress topper. Very comfortable! Large flat screen HDTV. Couch, chairs, coffee table. We were very surprised since this was a comp. It was chilly and rainy outside and they had the huge fireplace in the front lobby blazing. Only bad thing was we didn't win any money this time around. Oh well, we had been playing with Harrah's money for the last 3 trips, couldn't last forever!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple