“Great Service! Great Time!”

Harrah's Cherokee Hotel
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 8, 2008

May 08, 08

I've just returned from a 3 day stay at Harrah's in Cherokee, NC. This is my 4th visit to the Casino, but my first time taking advantage of my complimentary nights. Anytime you gamble at Harrah's you will need to get your total rewards card to gamble. I have received specials in the mail and thought I would really check out the services and property. I was leary after reading some reviews.
There is no catch to using your complimentary nights. The minute you drive up to the valet parking for registration they are on you in a second. Our bellhop's name was Sonny, who was extremely polite and quick to take what we needed up to our room. The front desk help was unbelievably friendly. The room was clean and the bellhop even went and got some ice for us before he left. I couldn't believe how beautiful the view was. We were nestled in the Smokey Mountains and the feeling was very relaxed. I actually got free wireless thanks to the Days Inn across the street. Otherwise you have to pay for the service.
The food, no matter where you eat is excellent. We ate for free due to our reward bonus points. The fish and chips at the Fresh Market was excellent! The service I can not give them enough credit.
My friend forgot her toothbrush and they brought one right up! The gambling is what you make of it. I played on $200.00 for 3 days and left $50.00 in the hole! I recommend the Wheel of Fortune machines...a Blast!
Waitresses constantly bringing juice, soda or coffee. This is a alcohol free resort. The reason is that alcoholism is prone on reservations and there is no alcohol in Cherokee, NC, so if you must drink, get it before you go.
This is my favorite place to gamble and sightsee. There is so much to do in Cherokee. Take your time and enjoy yourself. Gatlinburg, TN is only 33 miles away. Ask for the back road directions. It's close to Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge and so much more. I rate this AAA+++
PS: use your reward card within 6 months to keep the bonus's up to date. They expire otherwise.
Good Luck

1  Thank In2Getaways

Reviewed April 7, 2008

I am writing this as I sit in the lounge of the Ramada across the street from the Harrah's casin/hotel. I am a first time visitor & the Ramada was my lodging choice , although I spent the entire day at the casino, when not riding around looking for local amenities.Of which there are very few , probably due to the absence of alcohol sales. Dining best bets are the Hotel restaurants. Although pricey,they are good. Other dining is reserved to fast food,Wendy's ,Backyad Burgers, and KFC. There are a few local joints, a steakhouse & Grany's country type buffet , but stick to the hotel & you're making the best choice. Imagine our surprise when we could not find anywhere outside the hotel to eat after 8pm because they were all closed. Even the local Pizza Inn.
The casino experience was less than our usual trips to the Grand Hotel & Casino on the Gulf coast. The slots were very tight & allowed very little payoff despite a $500.00 deposit from my wife & I. The Hotel was very smokey from the entrance all the way through. The childrens arcade was fun for the kids, & the sitting area with a very large fireplace was comfortable. If seeking alternate lodging , I reccomend the friendly Ramada, Holiday Inn, or fairfield. All are in walking distance & very well kept. The locals are very free with discussing their Indian heritage & the workings of the reservation politics . In short this is a quaint little town that is surrounded by the natural beauty of the mountains that can be an enjoyable getaway. The casino was our focus as we headed off to the Blueridge mountains but the bit of Indian history we picked up along the way was a bonus worth the dough we dropped at the casino. As for us , we decided against returning to the casino,deterred by the very stingy machines.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed March 13, 2008

Came here for a conference. New, spacious and capacious facility. Great rooms, comfortable beds. Casino connected. Restaurants on site are very good.

To see anything beyond the hotel casino, even downtown Cherokee village, requires a car and a fair drive. Restaurant offerings other than fast food are at least 20 minutes away to the north or south. Our stay was too late in the year to take advantage of the outdoor theater presentations.

Tribally owned, brand new facility, it is in competition with other, smaller hotels/motels in what has long been a tourist town.

Located in a valley of the Smokies and close to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, with nice views of mountains from the upper floors. Modern rooms, WiFi in the rooms.

Blue Ridge Parkway starts in Cherokee, with a slow, twisty, and fabulously scenic drive along the Blue Ridge. Just over the mountains to the north are Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg TN, which are heavily touristed, with more upscale tourist joints and attractions. On weekends Cherokee is busy, but it is vacant compared to bumper-to-bumper traffic in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed March 12, 2008

Casino - We did not stay at the hotel but just went to visit the casino one night, when we were staying in Gatlinburg, TN. It was only about a hour drive and it was the first casino that my girlfriend and I have ever been too. That casino was clean and the people were very nice and helpful. Their is smoking allowed so you will deal with that but you are able to get free drinks and water at anytime. We went on a night it was not busy, but we were their for a couple of hours and did not lose that much, and heard a couple of people with nice pots. We had a blast, and was able to play on a minimal budget, we hit alot of times, especially on the wheel of fortune machines. We will go back again next time we come back to Gatlinburg, TN.

Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2008

Our 3rd time staying at this hotel and it was another wonderful time! Our room was, once again, comp'd and it was upgraded to a premium. Awesome king bed with feather bed mattress topper. Very comfortable! Large flat screen HDTV. Couch, chairs, coffee table. We were very surprised since this was a comp. It was chilly and rainy outside and they had the huge fireplace in the front lobby blazing. Only bad thing was we didn't win any money this time around. Oh well, we had been playing with Harrah's money for the last 3 trips, couldn't last forever!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2008

Having read the poor reviews posted in November we were apprehensive but wanted to see for ourselves. We've been to Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe (Reno), Atlantic City, Foxwoods and Mohigan Village, so we had plenty with which to compare.

Although we live five hours away, we thought the worse that could happen would be that we turn around and go home.

The minute we checked in we knew this experience was not going to be a bad one. The check-in was more than friendly and accommodating, as were the bellmen and car valet staff.

When we arrived in our room we found it to be clean, nicely decorated and, after a long drive, a hot shower and whirlpool bath was stimulating and comfortable.

Our Casino experience was fun with a "win a few, lose a few" experience at the machines. No, I didn't win a big jackpot (I never do) but I didn't go broke either.

We visited both restaurants during our two day stay and, although they were not the best we've ever had we would rate them both slightly above average, mainly because the service was outstanding. On two occasions our food arrived cold but the servers were more than happy to make it right, not with reheating but with a whole new dish.

All in all, we found our entire stay a wonderful experience and would not hesitate to return. As a senior citizen, I found the quietness and no alcohol policy refreshing. The Cherokee people are the nicest I've ever met and I'm already saving my quarters to go back!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2008

Spent 3 days as a diamond Harrahs member at the Cherokee Casino in North Carolina. The room that we were given was nice in size with paper thin walls. If you are planning to spend time here bring your wallet as the gambling winnings are little to none. The only winning here is on blackjack--forget the slots including the dollar slots.

Out hotel room was nice but the cleaning service arrives at you room at late in the day. Also bring your own pillows!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple