“Interesting Stay”

Harrah's Cherokee Casino Resort
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our stay started with trying to check in at 5:30, check in time is supposed to be 4:00, but the room wasn't ready. It wasn't ready until 7:00 p.m. A bit frustrating. We were on the 20th floor and the elevators were very noisy and seemed a little "loose" for such a new building. The room itself was very nice however by any measure. The restaurants were very good and the only real downside to our visit, besides having to wait so long for the room, was that our visit to the casino was very short just due to the extreme amount of ciagrette smoke. We have been to Vegas and Atlantic City numerous times but never experienced anything quite like that. I do get that the gambling and smoking do often go together since every time you smoke you are "rolling the dice" so to speak but for non-smokers, it just wasn't a good place to be. Breakfast buffet at Paula Dean's was excellent and overall it wasn't a bad stay but just always want to be honest with my fellow travelers.

5  Thank travelingbart
There are newer reviews for Harrah's Cherokee Casino Resort

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Wow! Such a beautiful casino with a NON SMOKING AREA to play slots. Plenty of places to eat inside the casino. The room was very clean and spacious. Everyone working here was so helpful and friendly. Will definitely return soon.

3  Thank Terry R
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This resort is very up to date , modern, clean and plenty to do. Great restaurants with exceptional food. Rooms are clean with all the comfort you need.Don't forget the casino, probably one of the larger in the US. The Indian theme is a real good addition to the entire complex. There is good golfing and fishing in the area and plenty of shows.

Room Tip: rooms a little closer, less walking if you are older.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2013

As you may see from some of my previous reviews, I enjoy going to various casino hotels around the country. This was my first trip to Harrah's Cherokee. From the outside, the place looks very nice, and for the most part, it is. The room (Creek tower) was very nice, clean, with a comfy bed, I'd have no problem staying in the room again. There are two areas of concern that I have with the hotel. First, the casino area, including the lower section food area, is dirty. Example...dirty tables in the restaurants (both downstairs and the buffet). Another area that needed to cleaned more often that it did was the actual casino. (This may seem picky, but I noticed the amount of dirt/dust around the inside rim of the craps tables.) Trash/gum on the floor, and in the poker room, several tables cluttered with old water bottles, trash, etc. It's as if there are not enough people to clean the place up. The other area of concern is the service, in certain parts. The craps dealers were extremely nice and helpful, as were most of the dealers at the gaming tables (although one gal had a difficult time counting the cards as the dealer in blackjack). Lines were long (SLOW) when trying to pay for food at the lower level food area, AND, in the casino cashier areas (there were two). The cashiers take care of the higher rated players first (there are two levels above the initial, basic level). This means that no matter how long the line is for us normal card holders, we simply had to wait until no one else at the higher levels was in their own line. It's a bad strategy to me, in that there are probably more guests at the lower level than at the higher levels, and it does not promote good will. Bottom line is that I would give the hotel/casino another shot to see if it has improved. If it didn't, I probably would go elsewhere in the future. If the service/cleanliness was improved, I'd go back very easily.

Room Tip: Creek Tower, higher level, two beds and a pull-out couch. Nice room. Since this was my first visit...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have stayed at Harrah's Cherokee on many occasions and I can say with certainty we have never stayed anywhere that the people were any nicer or more helpful. From the lady at the checkout in the food court to the server who delivered room service and the security guards on the casino floor they went above and beyond to make our stay as stressfree and enjoyable as possible. The food is good. Try the Rueben at the Boar's Head in the food court, it is thin sliced, tender and delicious. Even your Dunkin Donuts is always fresh and a great treat. The rooms were clean and neat. The beds extremely comfortable, even with OA I slept like a baby. The only complaint I have is paying for internet. We come a lot and also run a business so not being able to access the internet without the 10 dollar a day charge is a tremendous inconvience. As much as we spend on the floor should give us something as basic as internet for free.

Room Tip: Stay in the Creek Tower if at all possible. They are the closest to the casino and the easiest acces...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Deewaiting
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Spent two nights in a very relaxing place. Everything is right there. A lot of work has gone into improving the property. Casino is greatly improved, non-smoking area enlarged and better ventilation throughout. We were in the Mountain Tower and room was in great shape. Do not like paying for internet service. Only real negative. Obviously they want you doing something else.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I just stayed for the second time at Cherokee resort. The first time I was excited about what. It looked like. I did not write a review because i did not want to do a review no one experience. Just stayed my second time. It was not as good. This time the casino was way too smokey. Plus, I wanted to play golf at the casino owned hotel, but they had no transportation set up. For guest. How do you build a golf course that is ranked 14th in North Carolina and not have a way for guest to get there. Plus, the first time we stayed there we had a horrible experience at Ruth Chris steak house. I spoke with the manager after I left. And he offed some wine and appetizers if we would come back. I made a reservation again this time but they would not honor their offer. A place that has a captive group and they will not honor their offer. Plus the room we had this time we. We're looking at a wall. You go to the mountains for a view. I can see a wall at home. Obviously, not a great experience this time. Hope I hear from then by posting this review. I would love to help them get it right.

Room Tip: Ask. For anything above the 5th floor.