“Yuck!”

Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Yuck!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was excited to visit Harrah's Cherokee Casino after seeing a recent write up in the Atlanta Journal Constitution (AJC). The AJC said it was the same caliber as Vegas casinos. Boy, did they get that wrong!

The casino is incredibly smokey. You can smell the smoke as soon as you leave the parking garage and enter the building. I was expecting some smokiness but I could hardly breathe. They obviously don't invest in the state-of-the-art air filtrations systems that the Vegas casinos do. The bad thing is that the smoke follows you as you browse shops and eat dinner.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Jennifer M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,141)
  • Korean first
Venice, FL
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I have a log home rental in nearby Bryson City. (BrysonCityCabinRentals.com, the Lands Creek Lookout cabin), so we are in the area often to visit the casino. We have stayed there once and thought the rooms were nice. However the casino itself has changed, and not for the better. It used to be smaller, and decorated nicely with Indian artifacts. It also had a huge fireplace. Now it's just a big corporate cold casino, designed to rob of you of your last penny. The buffet is ridiculously expensive. The machines are ice cold. I'm an expert video poker player, and have traveled to Las Vegas and Laughlin many times. The video poker machines are so tight it's impossible to just stay even for a little while to enjoy yourself. All you do is shove money into them. I honestly believe I have a better chance of getting hit by lightening than ever walking away a winner. It's very dissapointing. My husband and I have vowed to never return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Barbara J
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed at the hotel the room was nice,but it was a long walk to the casino.There is construction going on in the hotel right now.It is easy to get lost and walk around in circles.The staff is very polite,although some of the staff could barely speek english.
The casino has changed a lot in the last 2 years,more places to eat (very expensive) live gaming now.and not much cigerette smoke in the air.
This was a plesent stay

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I decided to spend our 40th anniversary at Harrah's, what a mistake. I booked a King smoking room with an overlook of the mountains a month in advance and what we got was a queen room that they wanted to charge us more for that overlooked the roof of the air conditioners. They said they had no other rooms available, it was a wednesday. Very disappointed needless to say. Slots don't pay anything. Needed to get on my computer but guess what they charge for WiFi. Who does that? All in all, very disappointed with our anniversay get away. Thank heavens Iam married to a wonderful man who made my anniversary very special in spite of Harrah's

Room Tip: don't waste your money
3 Thank ginny b
chattanooga
Reviewed October 12, 2012

For many years I enjoyed going to Harrah's at Cherokee. The food prices were reasonable and the restaurants easy to get to. Although I never "won", I could usually at least play for a few minutes at one machine. No such luck the last several times I have foolishly gone. When dragging your luggage in from the garage, they have not sprung for the money for automatic doors so I saw little men and women struggling to get the door open while trying to drag their luggage in. They have wi-fi but it will cost you almost $12 per day. Really? These may seem like small details but when you are paying an arm and a leg to stay there, it seems like another way for them to stick it to you. The casino is so spread out and remote from the hotel, you are warn out by the time you reach the floor. The tv remote in the room was ancient and did not work properly. For a place that is purporting to be a high class hotel, they are sadly lacking on the important little details that visitors appreciate. I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Try to get as close to the casino as possible or you will need a gps to find your room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank cherryfrost
Michigan
Reviewed October 11, 2012

It's built along a babbling brook. So special. The workers were very friendly. The size of the place was really a surprise. Lots of walking. Paula Deen's restaurant was disappointing, except for the wonderful Red Velvet cake. Large TV, great mattresses. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: The higher the room, the better the view.
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I was lucky enough to get a couple of free nights at the Harrah's Cherokee Casino & Hotel. We were pleasantly surprised to see how great our room was. We stayed on the 11th floor in room 1107 in the Mountain Tower. We had a veiw of the mountains and during this time of the year the leaves had starting changing colors. Our room was also closer to the casino and we were glad of that. I hadn't been to Harrah's in a while and was pleased to know they had made a few changes and had a smoking side and nonsmoking side. Although, people at the casino were telling us that Paula Deen's was not a favorite around there, we decided to try it out anyway because we really enjoyed her restaurant in Tunica, which is much larger than this one and offered a full buffet. However, her restaurant in Cherokee was also good as I really didn't want a huge buffet. There was quite a bit of seafood dishes to choose from and other sides as well as fried chicken for the cost of $16.99. The other restaurant we tried out was the Chef's Stage and it was buffet, but the food was not that great to me. I didn't think the quality of the food was great in this restaurant and the only thing I really liked was a couple of items from the Asian side and the dessert. The cost was $26.99 per person at this restaurant. I thought that was a bit much. We did get a chance to walk around the hotel to see what all it had to offer and it had several little shops and the convention center was huge and convenient to everything. I really like the decorations in this hotel and the cozy areas you can just sit and look at the view or read. We would stay here again, especially when we are offered comp rooms. You just can't go wrong with that!

Room Tip: The bed was very comfortable and the shower/tub was big and roomy. I also like how the toilet is sep...