“New Years Eve at Harrahs!!”

Harrah's Cherokee Hotel
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We arrived Dec. 30 for a 3 day stay....our host had reserved a room for us at the New Creek Tower, but somehow they ended up putting us in the older Soco tower next door...so it doesn't matter if you have a reservation made several weeks ahead of time, you will go where they want to put you....we assumed all the 7 star players where put in the new tower that week-end, since it was NYE....we'll see what happend's next time.....our first night there was a lucky one for us at the slots....between the 2 of us we won over $1, 500...we only play the .25 slots...NYE we went to the party upstairs, it was very nice...lots of good food and good entertaiment...we didn't win hardly anything that night, so we went to our room early, and watched the New Year at Time Square on tv.....on Sunday, we slept in late and then over to eat breakfast at the Seven Sister resturant...we spent most of the day in the casino, not winning much...later we ate dinner at the new buffet...I have to say it was great!! the food was fresh, and tasty, they have just about everything you could think of to eat, Mexician, Asian, Itilian, bar.b.q, American, lots of seafood, etc.....the price is about $25.00 pp, ...later that night I hit a small jackpot of $640.00 ....we left the next morning, with over half of what we brung with us, so we didn't do to bad....we will be back in March to celebrate our wedding anniversary... we love Harrahs in Cherokee.

3  Thank carolinalady68
Write a ReviewReviews (18,240)

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Having stayed in 6 other Harrahs, this one was very disappointing. Had to pay $60.00 extra for Pet room and all those rooms are smoking, no view, and on noisy 3rd floor from outside steampipes. Casino had few if any servers and the comp. and tier points were worst I have seen. VIP lounge failed to open as scheduled but there were plenty of places to eat. Reported a problem three times to desk and never did get resolved. As the only one in the region, you are stuck, but I will spend money for airfare from now on.

Room Tip: Do not carry your dog if you want a room ihat is quiet with a view and is non-smoking. Verified tha...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank COLRBJ
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Hotel rooms are nice and beds are comfortable. But even non-smoking rooms smell like smoke. And people smoke in all the hallways so the hotel smells like smoke no mattwr where you go. Even to get to the NON SMOKING part of casino you go thrpugh parts of hallway where peoe are smoking.
Another thing is if you are put in the Mountain wing of hotel you are walking a very long way from lobby,casino and elevators.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank travel1215
Reviewed January 3, 2012

My companion and I have been diamond level slot players for the last 2 years and have experienced many Harrahs' properties as well as other casinos. We have enjoyed our stay or play in all of these properties and expected a good Casino experience at Harrahs' Cherokee. We decided to stay a night in Cherokee on our way home from Atlanta to Maryland on Dec. 27 2011. We were smiling from the beautiful ride through the mountains when we arrived at the hotel. Our smile quickly disappeared when we were told that the non-smoking room we had reserved in Soco tower was not available.We did not arrive late-and no explanation was given as to why the room was not available. We were given a room in the mountain tower after we explained that I have a lung condition and can't walk too far and were assured that the mountain tower was not too far to walk. Harrahs' Cherokee is HUGH but no hotel map,directions or assistance was given to help us find mountain tower. I was short of breath when we finally did. Perhaps to the front desk clerk, mountain tower was not far but to me and my damaged lung, it was like climbing Mt. Everest. We returned to the front desk and explained again that I needed a closer room. The clerk reluctantly changed our room to a non smoking in Soco. The very room we had originally requested. She seemed angry that we had returned and barely spoke to us.
Later we played our favorite machines and found they did not pay as they do in other casinos. We played about $500 and could not hit a bonus or any kind of win as we do in other casinos on the same machines. If they did hit a winning payline, the payout was less than the same payline in other casinos. One hit that should have paid $50, paid $20. We rate Harrahs' Cherokee as the worst casino experience we have ever had and vowed never to return.

10  Thank ees126
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We go to Cherokee frequently for weekend trips. This was our first time staying at the Casino hotel and we enjoyed it very much. We had our dog with us and we booked the PetStay Luxury Room at it was very nice. They had nice little treats and bowls in the room for our dog. There is no real "dog walk" area around the hotel, you have to just go out around the bushes and grassy areas around the hotel but that was okay once we understood where we could walk him. The staff was overall very friendly and made you feel welcome. The person that did our check-in was on the curt side and appeared to "be going through the motions". If this had been my first visit to Harrah's properties as a hotel guest, I would not have felt welcomed but I know this is not the norm for their staff.

We went to the Grand Buffet on Sunday evening (New Year's Day) and it was average at best. You really do not have much choice on the food offerings in the hotel as we have tried everything there and it is average and very pricey.

The main thing this last trip that shocked us was our experience at Paula Deen's restaurant. They serve breakfast and have a breakfast buffet bar so we chose to go there prior to leaving the resort. The cooks at the omelet bar do a very nice job and we tend to always go with freshly prepared omelets. When we ordered beverages, I ordered coffee. I was asked if I took cream and I told the waitress yes. When I came back to the table, I had the coffee, a small cream pitcher, and a glass of water which was great. The breakfast was good. Upon receipt of the check, I noticed a charge for milk of $3.00. I asked the waitress and she said it was for the creamer. I could not believe it!!!!!! A glass of milk on the menu shows either $2 or $3 a glass and we were charged $3.00 for that little creamer. We will NEVER go there again! It should have been shown on the menu this was an extra charge and it was considered as a glass of milk. I still am very surprised they would charge for creamer. Even if the breakfast had been inexpensive, I think this is ridiculous but when you pay $16.00 for an omelet, I find that to be excessive.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MTKmcd
Reviewed December 29, 2011

If you are looking for a big win..go to Biloxi or Gulfport....Cherokee has always been a great scenic ride from Atlanta
It is an expecially beautiful ride in theFall, but the machines have always been tight. Everyone I talk to that has been there says the same thing. More little wins would have me coming back more often rather than the longer ride to MS., but I do like to win once in while. That is part of the fun and excitement.
The room was average, but clean and comfortable.
Will try it again in the Spring and see if anything has changed gaming wise..If not, forget it.
I wont care how pretty the property is..I want to win.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank gerrydee
Reviewed December 28, 2011

My HUSBAND and I were excited about a getaway to Harrah's cherokee. We had gambled some on our honeymoon in St. Croix and had a BLAST! We had done our homework and used a chart to help our blackjack odds. We felt excited and prepared. The guy at the check-in was courteous and helpful. I don't understand why all these people are complaining about the walk from the room to the casino and parking garage etc. If you can't walk that far you need to exercise more....

EVERYTIME you go into the casino or get a drink be prepared to show your ID. I know that I look young and that proper protocol must be followed, but it gets old after day 1. I am a hard paying customer just like this 60 year old to my right and should be treated with the same respect. I am 24 by the way.... I was literally questioned by the security guard with my date of birth, state of birth, and address. I finally had to say "this is ridiculous" before he would let me go. Then, I proceeded to go to the blacjack table where the dealer asked me for my ID. If I just passed through your security there should be no questions asked. I also had a Harrahs rewards card which requires that you are over 21. I mean what do I have to do to get these people off my back? PLEASE HARRAHS come up with some wristbands so you can stop with the harrassment!!!!

The drinks...don't even get me started. My husband and I were totally jipped when we ended up ordering a red bull/vodka. You get charged double because they charge you for the redbull. We even asked her how much and then was told a different amount later. I believe he posted his story earlier if you want exact details. When we questioned the lady about it she was also VERY RUDE. Only one dealer there was nice. The rest would question your every move...and say "are you sure about that". One guy even asked me as I was sitting down..."Do YOU know how to play blackjack?" Yeah..you ****....I know how to count to 21....

Other than dealing with idiots, the rooms were great! Food was way too expensive...Promotions were cool...In fact, the only reason we will be back is because they sent me a voucher for the money I lost the first night. Lost too much!!! Plan on inserting into a machine, penny spin, and cash out!!!

5  Thank kplummer9630