“Worth it if you have the time.”
Review of Saunooke Village

Saunooke Village
Ranked #18 of 33 things to do in Cherokee
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Sort of high priced for something that can be seen in about 2 hours. However there are some important things to be learned and the dancing was fun to watch. Wouldn't go again but worth seeing once.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

The photos really do not do this attraction justice. I stopped here with 44 others on a bus tour from Gatlinburg to Cherokee. The stores had a great variety and the merchandise and food was awesome! This is a cute attraction and I know that when I go back to Cherokee, I will definitely stop here!

Reviewed January 5, 2012

There are plenty of things to do in the Saunooke Village, and while it's a small section of the town, its all that really needs to be gone too. The shops offer everything everywhere else does, and it has plenty of other attractions (like the mechanical bull), old time photos, and other things. While I'm not too keen on keeping bears in captivity (in the horrible conditions that they do here) everything else was tops! The attractions all cost, but the shopping is free (unless you buy something ;) )

1  Thank qryztufre
Reviewed July 28, 2010

My family spent a long weekend in Cherokee North Carolina. It had something to offer everyone. From my 5 year old to my 80 year old Dad! We had a great time. The Mechanical Bullride was My 5 year olds favorite thing! The Man who runs it is named Rodger! I have never had any one go to such great lengths to be sure my Little Girl was having a good time! He was so Great! The Newfound Lodge Resturant I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend! Great Food, Great atmosphere and Great Service! We plan to return in October!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 14, 2010

My husband and I stopped in Cherokee, NC last summer to visit Mingo Falls, Mountain Museum & Mingus Mill. We discovered Saunooke Village while we were driving over to Mingo Falls. We found it to be a cute shopping area & decided to stop there again this summer on our drive over to Deep Creek in Bryson City.

Saunooke Village is a small shopping district that has a working mill on location at the Saunooke Mill. There you can see the mill and its products. Also in the shopping district is an ice cream parlor, a few indian style shops, Christmas shop and the Cherokee Heritage Museum. The walkways are brick and it has a real nice family friendly atmosphere to this outdoor shopping mall. You walk the brick walkways between shops (it is not an enclosed mall). Here you will also see the Chief Saunooke Trading Post Mall, Black Betsy Mechanical Bull Ride, Chief Saunooke's Bear Park (with shooting gallery & gem mine), the Mountain Fun Center (arcade), Mountain Fun Mini Golf, Mountain Fun Gem Mine, and the Mineshaft Haunted Mine nearby. If you get hungry, there is a Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs on location too. On location, you can get your photo taken with an Indian Chief (for a small tip). This time we even saw an area where they were going to have a traditional Indian dance.

The Village is nestled next to the river. You will see people tubing the river & I did see a sign to tube the river on the corner next to the Village. Also connecting the Village to the main highway (441) are two bridges. One is a swinging bridge and the other is a covered walking bridge. Both are fun to walk across and look down into the river. You can take one across and take the other back.

Overall, we have enjoyed stopping at the Saunooke Village area. It all kind of blends together, so it is hard to tell what is actually part of the actual "Saunooke Village". The shops are kind of touristy & some of them sell "junk", but it is probably worth a peek. Just don't go expecting it to be some amazing shopping district. The mill is worth a peek in itself IF you want to see a working mill. In addition this swinging bridge is one of the nicest I have seen in the Smokies region. I also enjoy stoppping here just to take a peek at the people riding the mechanical bull ($8 per person)! It is fun just to watch. Plus the Chief Saunooke Bear Park was worth a peek too ($5.00 per person). You might not spend a whole day here, but it is worth an hour or two of your time IF you are in Cherokee, NC.

4  Thank daisyferret1