“Fourth Visit”
Review of Unto These Hills

Unto These Hills
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Under the glow of summer stars, the Cherokee story comes to life. Performed in our 2,000 seat outdoor amphitheater, Unto These Hills is the family show too large for any screen.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Had not seen this drama in the past 10 yrs. Had seen it three times before then and LOVED it! Cried each time I saw it, however, this time it was very disappointing to me and my daughter both! The story line has changed a lot from ten yrs. ago! COMPLETE DIFFERENT ENDING. Wasn't expecting that. It wasn't at all what it use to be. If the play was still performed with the same story line as before, I could watch it every year, but, as it is now, I have no plans to come see it again. I'd rather remember it as it was! (can't understand why it was so different, especially the ending) The actors do a good job with what you do see now.

All reviews
in 14 reviews
"history lesson"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Unto These Hills is a worthwhile experience. I knew so little about those who stayed behind, when the Cherokees were "re-located" to Oklahoma, in 1838-1839.
Over 16,000 were forced by Federal troops, who ignored a Supreme court decision by John Marshall in 1832 that the Cherokee Naton were, " distinct, independentpolitical communities, retaining their original natural rights"
4000 died on the " Trail Where They Cried"

I am so glad we saw the show and we were in the 3ed row Center because Lynn booked the 6 seats 2 months in advance. The acting was very good and the storyline flowed seamlessly. It had an emotional ending that made me grateful for the bravery shown by those who chose to stay with their land and keep their traditions alive.

1  Thank henry b
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Although I have lived in North Carolina most of my life. I knew "of" Cherokee and that my great grandmother was "full blooded cherokee". I never truly understood all the pieces and parts to timeline. I felt honored to be witness this show and truly enlightened by all the history that I learned in such a short amount of time. The sacrifice of Tsali was awe inspiring and really a priviledge to be witness and know.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This outdoor play is a drama telling the plight of the Cherokee Indian and the suffering and heartache they went through as a people to settle in their locations. Very interesting and informing. It is definitely a must see if you have an interest in Native Americans or their history.

1  Thank Eddie W
See more reviews
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have been wanting to see this play for years. The cast was spectacular, the show was well written and extremely moving. I wanted so much to meet the cast after the show, but it was pouring down rain! In the middle of the show when it started raining I asked my elderly mother if she wanted to leave and she said "heck no, go get me a poncho!", so we stayed and we were so glad we did. We had our children with us as well and from the youngest of us, 14 years old, to the oldest, 70 years old, it was unanimous, the play was AMAZING! You can't help but tear up and feel the pain this precious group of people have victoriously overcome. Being 1/8 Cherokee, I am even more compelled to find out more about this side of my heritage, and the pride I have always felt has been compounded with my experience here.

1  Thank BRAYSMA