Open today: 9:00 AM - 10:30 AM
Review Highlights
History

Reviewed October 2, 2018
Douglas R
Terrific show if you like Cherokee history

Reviewed August 30, 2018
jan120253
Broendby, Denmark

All reviews outdoor drama pre show eagle dance trail of tears vip tickets reserved seating the lost colony outdoor setting rest your feet second row center section minute intermission front row true story cherokee nation concession stand history lesson
Reviewed October 2, 2018

I went to this play literally 50 years ago and it is as timeless now as then. I went back this summer and could not have been happier experiencing it again. The actors tell the Cherokee story which is a shameful time in US history but it is a presention of history which needs to be told. It is an outdoor theatre and the experience is magical as the night cools down, the dew begins and the moon shines. I didn't want to leave when it was time. The employees could not have been nicer and seemed to enjoy playing a part in the history lesson. The play is only during the warm weather months and probably only when the young employees are out of school so plan accordingly.

1  Thank Douglas R
Reviewed August 30, 2018

On my 8th visit to Cherokee I finally managed to watch this magnificent show, and it was even better than I expected. I think it is maybe a bit more interesting if you know something about Cherokee history in advance, but even without such knowledge it is great.
The show tells ther Cherokee history from the tribe's first meeting with the Spanish (1540) to the removal on the Trail of Tears (1838).

Reviewed August 27, 2018

A good show-slightly disappointed with the ballet interpretation of the Eagle Dance. Little actual native dancing except for the pre-show. Good costumes, well thought-out and entertaining. Bring a poncho as it's an open air theater

Reviewed August 23, 2018 via mobile

Was really expecting a little more for the price. Good history lesson for young children. Glad I went but won’t do twice.

Reviewed August 23, 2018

Set on a hillside so lots of steps but lots of options for seating if you can't walk up and down. I was interested in hearing the story about the Cherokees but very disappointed there were only a couple of genuine Native Americans used in the production. The show was an average production. Frankly, my granddaughters fine arts high school productions are better. I am so glad we bought General admission tickets and not the more expensive VIP tickets. Snack bar and drinks available for purchase.

1  Thank YolandaWilson
Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

We left Asheville with a picnic dinner and the drive was beautiful. Every thing is so green . We had advance tickets and reserved seats so not panic to get there . It began to rain on the way down the mountain and then poured! We arrived and parked and pulled out out picnic and ate under an awning in the parking lot. Not a problem and fun for friends . The rain became a drizzle as we made our way to the arena, bought white plastic ponchos and stowed the umbrellas.
We're guided to our seats by a very friendly young man usher and the show went on. It was worth all the years we had waited to go see it. THE Staging AND actors were super ! A must see !

1  Thank cjb9x
Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

This show was an experience to watch. The preshow was live music sung by some of the cast. The show was full of great music and dancing and loads of history. They do have ADA accessibility and a snack bar.

Reviewed August 15, 2018

It is done really well and is worth your time & money to see the show. We took a backpack with blankets ( some to sit on because of the metal seats and some to cover up with) and bottle water. Show was in two parts, first part was one hour with a 15 minute break and then a 45 minute second part. They had a snack bar with free drink refills. If you're under about 5'9, they have limited number of short stools to put your feet on. VIP seating is available with seat cushions and other gifts for $40.
Its very eye opening how the government used the Cherokees to help them fight in war and then turned their backs on them later on.
There is also a 1750 (I think 50 is correct) village that you can tour during the day 10 am to 5 pm to see how the Cherokee lived with about six live demonstrations. Military Discount

Reviewed August 9, 2018 via mobile

I enjoyed the show and the dancing. My six and nine-year-old daughters also enjoyed it and it kept their attention. There are some parts with gunfire and canons that startle adults and kids. The story is interesting and relevant. They had a concession stand and the prices were reasonable. It looks like all of the seats in the theater had a good view.

Reviewed August 8, 2018

yes, it looks like an amateur production but it was still good. and it is a story that needs to be told. It is two hours with an intermission. I think it could be a bit shorter. The comic bits with the lady joking about her husband out in the cornfields didn't add anything, as an example.