“Down Home Buffet”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet
Ellicott City, MD
“Down Home Buffet”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We are finding it difficult to find restaurants in Cherokee, and finally wound up at Granny's Kitchen. There is only a buffet, so no other food choices. It offers beef, fried chicken, some type of ribs, baked beans, green beans, cooked apples, red boiled potatoes and cornbread. We thought the meal was just okay, but local folks seem to be more happy with it. I must add that the vegetable salad choices were very fresh, which was the best part of the meal for me. There was a tray of some sort of pudding dessert, which did not look very appealing to us. I don't think this is a place that you would return to often.

3 Thank DiBowers
INNsights722, Guest Relations Manager at Granny's Kitchen Restaurant, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for dining at Granny's, and for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate it!

Indianapolis, Indiana
“True Southern Cooking”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Sometimes I judge the quality of mom-and-pop eateries by the number of local vehicles in the parking lot, and Granny's didn't disappoint. In memory of my departed but much-loved father, I indulged in fried chicken with all the fixings. Delicious! Better than I could ever fix at home. Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. Nothing fancy, but sometimes I don't want fancy. Too much to eat, of course, but my server graciously helped me package up the leftovers.

Worth a stop if you're in Cherokee. Kid-friendly, too.

• Visited May 2013
INNsights722, Guest Relations Manager at Granny's Kitchen Restaurant, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you so much for dining with Granny's, and for taking the time to write a review and letting others know about your experience. We appreciate it!
West Lafayette, Indiana
“Avoid at all cost.”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My family and I (sadly) decided to check out this place. BIG MISTAKE. Also, there are no prices marked anywhere..and when we found out just how expensive it was we wished we had gone to McDonald's instead!

The food was so bland, unseasoned, and greasy that it was almost inedible. The meat was dry and the "dessert" (canned or powdered pudding) was obviously not "homemade." Actually, nothing tasted homemade; it all tasted canned or frozen. I know they claim to "cater to regional" palates, but, really, there is no excuse for such poorly-prepared food. This is a place where people go to gorge themselves without caring what the food tastes like.

They claim to be a "Southern"-style place. Well, let me tell you what - Southern food doesn't come from a can and doesn't sit there for hours on end, boiling into oblivion. It is supposed to be fresh and hearty. Also, being in business "over 30 years" doesn't validate bad methods of cooking. It just means that they happen to pull in enough tourists looking for a real meal with their façade of "Southern home cooking."

• Visited June 2012
4 Thank Mister_Mann
INNsights722, Guest Relations Manager at Granny's Kitchen Restaurant, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
We thank you for giving Granny's a try and sorry that it did not meet your expectations. I assure you, our food is not canned or powdered. It is cooked fresh every day. Our Southern style of cooking may not be suitable for all, but our locals and tourists love it.
Dania Beach, Florida
“Great Food and Service !”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We eat here at least twice a week when in the area. It is always great and the folks friendly! Fried Chicken is great! Breakfast, lunch or dinner do not miss the place!

• Visited June 2012
Thank you so much for eating and Granny's and taking the time to write a review here. We sure appreciate it!
GA
“Down Home Country Cooking”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We always stop by when passing thru Cherokee.Real country cooking with Fried Chicken,Roast Beef and I love the stewed potatoes.Lots of choices on the salad bar.Not fancy or stuffy, just comfortable and welcoming.Looking for true southern cooking? Look no further .

• Visited May 2013
INNsights722, Guest Relations Manager at Granny's Kitchen Restaurant, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for dining with us, and for taking the time to write a review about your experience here!