“True Southern Cooking”

Ranked #7 of 47 Restaurants in Cherokee
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet
Description: Country Cooking Buffet Style in Cherokee, North Carolina - Serving wholesome southern favorites the whole family will enjoy. Great Southern home cooking your whole family will enjoy — from hand-carved roast beef and fried chicken to a wide selection of vegetables and homemade desserts. We've been a favorite with the local community since we opened in 1984. And since we're family-owned and family-run, you know we stand behind our food and our experienced and friendly crew.
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Sometimes I judge the quality of mom-and-pop eateries by the number of local vehicles in the parking lot, and Granny's didn't disappoint. In memory of my departed but much-loved father, I indulged in fried chicken with all the fixings. Delicious! Better than I could ever fix at home. Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. Nothing fancy, but sometimes I don't want fancy. Too much to eat, of course, but my server graciously helped me package up the leftovers.

Worth a stop if you're in Cherokee. Kid-friendly, too.

INNsights722, Guest Relations Manager at Granny's Kitchen Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you so much for dining with Granny's, and for taking the time to write a review and letting others know about your experience. We appreciate it!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,073)

Reviewed May 11, 2013

My family and I (sadly) decided to check out this place. BIG MISTAKE. Also, there are no prices marked anywhere..and when we found out just how expensive it was we wished we had gone to McDonald's instead!

The food was so bland, unseasoned, and greasy that it was almost inedible. The meat was dry and the "dessert" (canned or powdered pudding) was obviously not "homemade." Actually, nothing tasted homemade; it all tasted canned or frozen. I know they claim to "cater to regional" palates, but, really, there is no excuse for such poorly-prepared food. This is a place where people go to gorge themselves without caring what the food tastes like.

They claim to be a "Southern"-style place. Well, let me tell you what - Southern food doesn't come from a can and doesn't sit there for hours on end, boiling into oblivion. It is supposed to be fresh and hearty. Also, being in business "over 30 years" doesn't validate bad methods of cooking. It just means that they happen to pull in enough tourists looking for a real meal with their façade of "Southern home cooking."

4  Thank Mister_Mann
INNsights722, Guest Relations Manager at Granny's Kitchen Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

We thank you for giving Granny's a try and sorry that it did not meet your expectations. I assure you, our food is not canned or powdered. It is cooked fresh every day. Our Southern style of cooking may not be suitable for all, but our locals and tourists love it.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We eat here at least twice a week when in the area. It is always great and the folks friendly! Fried Chicken is great! Breakfast, lunch or dinner do not miss the place!

Thank you so much for eating and Granny's and taking the time to write a review here. We sure appreciate it!

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We always stop by when passing thru Cherokee.Real country cooking with Fried Chicken,Roast Beef and I love the stewed potatoes.Lots of choices on the salad bar.Not fancy or stuffy, just comfortable and welcoming.Looking for true southern cooking? Look no further .

INNsights722, Guest Relations Manager at Granny's Kitchen Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank you for dining with us, and for taking the time to write a review about your experience here!

Reviewed May 1, 2013

This place had down home food. It was OK, all the food including desserts were great EXCEPT the meat. They had all kinds of meat...roast beef being carved, fried chicken, ham, pork chops....anything you could want, but all of the meat was dry, dry, dry!! However, if the meat hadn't been bad, it would have been a spectacular place to go and well worth the price. A man waited on us first and he was not friendly, but then a lady took over and she was very nice and helpful. Tons of people eat there, but if the meat is like that every night I don't see how they stay in business....maybe I caught them at a bad night!!

INNsights722, Guest Relations Manager at Granny's Kitchen Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Granny's Kitchen! We're glad you were (mostly) pleased with our buffet, and will definitely look into the issue you reported with the meat. This is certainly not the norm and we appreciate you bringing it to our attention!