“READ THIS REVIEW!! GRANNY'S IS THE BEST!!!!”

Granny's Kitchen Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 47 Restaurants in Cherokee
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet
Whittier, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“READ THIS REVIEW!! GRANNY'S IS THE BEST!!!!”
Reviewed September 14, 2011

My family has eaten at Granny's Kitchen since I was a little kid. Now, I bring my kids there. I find it hard to believe that some people think it is expensive. I got a bowl of french onion soup for $7 at another local restaurant, and I have bought appetizers for $7-$9 at places like Applebees or Sagebrush. The lunch buffet is only $8.25 and the dinner buffet under 12 bucks (who can beat that?) at Granny's, and that includes salad, soup, and loads of vegetables and meats. And I can eat all I want. I don't get the complaints!!?? Try going to the store and buying all of that for under $9 bucks. People that comlain about the prices there obviously don't eat out much because the highest priced item, which is the dinner buffet, is the equivalent to the cheapest item on other restaurants menus. The food at Granny's is always so rich and flavorful. Ryan's is closeby, and it is just quantity over quality....not the case at Granny's. G.K. is higher quality foods, and the atmosphere is so homey and comforting. And you know if you have a complaint, by all means tell somebody so they can rectify it for you. Their staff is always willing to hunt you down some shredded cheese for your grits or horseradish for your roast beef...When I was a kid, my grandpa loved mashed potatoes, and the kitchen was serving boiled potatoes instead, and they made him some mashed potatoes special. It was amazing, and he honestly spoke fondly of that until he died, no lie. They haven't been in business this long if it wasn't for the great food and repeat business. I know I will continue to eat there, and hopefully, my grandkids will one day take me there.

1 Thank Austin S

Nashville, Tennessee
“Great Food at a Great Price”
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stumbled onto to Granny's Kitchen after eating at several of the restaurants in Cherokee. The variety on the buffet was very nice and the food was tasty. Reminded me of eating at my own Grandmother's on Sundays. The service was excellent and our drinks were always filled in a timely manner. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a good hot meal in a clean environment while visiting Cherokee.

• Visited August 2011
Columbia, South Carolina
“Country Buffet- Average food at slightly above average prices”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I had the Sunday lunch buffet after spending Saturday night in Cherokee at the casino. I found the food to be slightly below average. The fried chicken was a little bland and a little dry from being overcooked. The lima beans also seemed a little underseasoned. The mashed potatoes and creamed corn were the highlights. Overall, I wouldn't go back since I could get a country buffet and two drinks for alot less than $30 ($25 plus tip) from somewhere that tasted better. I just wanted to try a local place to discover a "hole in the wall" secret, but I probably would rather go to KFC or Ryan's next time since it would taste better and cost less.

3 Thank uscmike1
tlwilliy, Owner at Granny's Kitchen Restaurant, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
So sorry that you did not enjoy your visit with us. Our food is prepared in our kitchen and we have such a diverse customer base that we do not highly season our foods. Many folks today are watching their sodium intake and we try to stay on the lower end. There are salt and pepper shakers on the table for those preferring more seasoning. I'm really sorry that you did not request that your server bring you more chicken from the kitchen and voice your complaint at the time you were there so that we could have tried to make your experience more enjoyable.

I find in today's world of non face-to-face complaints via sites such as this, that people are more apt to forget that there are real people being affected by their comments. In this case, it is my entire family. While you certainly have the right to voice your opinions, always be mindful that many people have years invested in what you have judged by only one visit. I urge you to give our Native American family owned and operated "whole in the wall" another try just to be
fair.

Respectfully submitted,
Teresa Lambert Williamson, Owner
Grannny's Kitchen, Cherokee, NC
spartanburg,SC
“Meat and 3 veggies/ spoiled by Wades in Spartanburg”
Reviewed September 10, 2011

won't eat here again. overpriced food you can heat at home.

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank b29349
Florida
“It rises to "average"”
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I wasn't expecting much and this restaurant did not disappoint. For me, Golden Corral would be a step up. The soup was ok, not as salty as canned but overcooked vegetables in the height of harvest. Thursday's lunch buffet included turkey and fixins and kielbasa with sauerkraut. This struck me as a strange combo The kielbasa was overcooked...very soft and I found the turkey and stuffing to be tasteless although my companion said it tasted ok to him. Salad bar looked adequate but not really fresh. The service was very good and the buffet was kept stocked with the cook out frequently to check it. There were a couple of puddings for dessert but pies cost extra. The lunch buffet with a drink came to about $10 so I didn't find it overpriced. So for a family, it would probably be a decent choice- filling, adequate, southern cooking like grammy used to make. But if it is #1 (as listed), the other restaurants must really be plain.

3 Thank iuvenis2000
tlwilliy, Owner at Granny's Kitchen Restaurant, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
How did you know that my grandchildren call me "Grammy"? Really, everyone thinks that they call me Granny. We are very sorry and disappointed that you considered our food less than average. Our local folks have consistently flocked to our Thursday Turkey & Dressing Lunch Buffet for over a quarter of a century. It is what many people plan their vacations around, and many of our loyal customers drive 60 and 70 miles one way just to eat with us on Thursdays. As a matter of fact, when we do catering for folks, it is our number one requested meal. The sausage and sauerkraut is indeed a strange combination, but that too is another favorite. Belive me when I say that when we try to change up the daily menu we have folks get very angry with us. Maybe one day you could give us another try.

On most Thrusdays we serve in the neighborhood of 400 people who are quite satisfied with our food. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue with you or your comments regarding our products, because they are your perceptions and I respect that.
All I am saying is that for many years my familiy and I have worked very hard to provide the hard-working mountain folks, my people of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians and many, many visitors to our beautiful area. If you spend your life building a business in your hometown and put your entire familiy out there to be responsible for our food, it truly hurts when folks are not satisfied and make negative comments. Although we strive to ensure that every patron who walks through the door has a great dining experience, realistically, we know that this is not going to happen. But we will keep trying and in the end that is all anyone can do to please folks.

We do know that the for every hundred customers that walk through the door and rave about our food rarely have the time to post comments on Trip Advisor or other review-driven sites, some do and to those folks we are expecially grateful. But we are also appreciative to folks who make suggestions and provide us constructive criticism.

In all sincerity, judging from your other reviews, it sounds like you have a very sophisticated, highly developed palate. Your talents might well be directed toward being a food critic and writing for some of the larger food magazines. I mean this truly and am not trying to be sarcastic.

Best Wishes,