“The Worst Place Ever” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Cherokee
south carolina
“The Worst Place Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

We checked into the Sleep-Inn in Cherokee N.C. expecting the great service we would receive from a Choice Hotel. We were offered a large discount if we paid by Cash. We asked about WiFi Internet access in the rooms, and were told that it was available. After getting settled in and a lot of trouble shooting, we found that there was no internet access in the room. The Assistant Manager, who claimed to be the Manager, said we could obtain internet access in the lobby. We asked for a refund and were rudely refused. We went back to the room and phoned Choice Hotels, to find that the Sleep-Inn in Cherokee was no longer a part of Choice Hotels.
We filed a police report, and left. There were a number of rooms in the Inn with open doors, where the rooms appeared dirty and the laundry was not changed. The motel appeared to be a hangout for the assistant manager and her teenage to young twenty’s friends.
We feel that Choice Hotels should not allow motels that have dropped from their nationwide chain to represent themselves as members. In this case the motel contained the Sleep-Inn signs, and Choice Hotels materials in the rooms, and the room keys were from Comfort Inn.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
14 Thank guest79

Business
Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

This place is a wreck. First of all we were unable to contact the hotel to confirm our reservations because their phone was disconnected or not in service. We could not look on-line since they are no longer a choice hotel and have no web site. Once we did arrive, the front desk staff were the rudest, most unprofessional people i've ever encountered. One claimed to be the Managers assistant but knew next to nothing, check-in took forever, and all the trouble was not worth it. Breakfest the next morning was awful, not what is the norm at other sleep inns. Internet was not available as advertised. the rooms were wiped clean at most, not clean at all. I convinced my husband to check out early and if we couldn't find another room we would just go home. The sleep inn of cherokee has lost my business for good and i would not recommend it to anyone traveling to that area.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
10 Thank ChickE09

Travelers are raving about these Cherokee hotels

Ga.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

I'm not usually one who complains be here goes. The rooms are decent but not what we were told if those are queen size beds I would hate to see their double beds. The indoor heated pool was a joke . The pool water was ice cold and the building temp. was 59 degrees. When we ask the staff about the pool we were told the room is heated not the pool I'm sorry but I'm not about to let my children in a cold pool in a room that is 59 degrees, oh and not to mention the water was also nasty. They did call us later to tell us that their sister hotel had agreed to let us use their pool and it's only 10 miles away.Yea right I'm going to load my children in the car and drive 10miles away to swim at another hotel where's the lodgic in that . So i guess the saying pictures can be decieving is really true

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank Ga_Country
Largo,Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

My husband and three kids stayed at the sleep inn in nov. 2008. We are from F.L. and wanted a nice vacation to the Smoky Mountains but instead after staying at the sleep inn we woke up to bed bugs. My son and I had so many bites, we had to see a doctor while we were supost to be having a family vacation!!!! I would not recommened this hotel and I'm doing every thing I can to tell everyone about our experience!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — we suffered bed bug bites
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
9 Thank louielargo
Hickory, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

I was comped two nights at a partner hotel by Harrah's Cherokee. That partner hotel turned out to be the Sleep Inn in Cherokee. Having been around the area before, I had noticed this hotel and thought it looked pretty nice from the outside, and indeed it is nice on the outside. The building looks fresh and the landscaping is well appointed. This, however, is the only bright spot with this hotel.

Check-in was easy enough, although I never recieved a smile or a "thank you", two things I appreciate when dealing with someone in the customer service field. The hotel seemed to be filled with employees who did little but sit around in the lounge and watch t.v. or play on the guest computer in the lobby. More than a couple of times, I went to get on the computer to check my email, only to find a hotel employee, or one of their friends who wasn't a guest, busy playing a game of solitaire or checking their own email. I'm not unreasonable and don't mind everyone using the computer, but it seemed to me that the employees viewed this computer as their personal workspace and guests who used it were infringing on their play time.

The room was o.k. I requested a non-smoking room and was placed in a smoking room without notification of that fact until I noticed the three ashtrays in my room. I'm a smoker myself, however, so it didn't bother me terribly. The room was clean and the t.v. & toilet worked fine, so I can't complain.

Overall, I appreciate the fact that the room was complimentary, but if I had the choice to stay again, I would probably not stay here. I definately would not pay to stay here. My experiences with Cherokee hotels is fairly limited, but I know there are places in town nicer than this.

• Liked — The bed was comfortable.
  • Disliked — Unprofessional staff.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
5 Thank TMackDiddy
jacksonville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2008

We had great experience at Sleep Inn, Cherokee NC. We stayed from June 23/25. Hotel staff was extremely nice and helpful. Hotel room was clean and everything inside looked new, there was no dirty spot on the carpet at all! Pool area was ok, just a bit smaller than at other hotels. Beds were not to firm but not to soft, I had back surgery and can't sleep on soft beds but this one was just right.
Sleep Inn has everything that any other major hotels have but everything is bit smaller. The bathroom could be bit bigger but it was fine.
I just hated some guest who rented nonsmokers room across the hall from us, but they kept smoking so I called receptionist and they took care of it in minutes.
I am definitely going back, and I will recommend Sleep Inn at any time!
Family in rm 106!

• Liked — It was clean and neat
  • Disliked — People who smoke in nonsmokers rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

this is a nice place if you are traveling through town and need a place to stay overnight, the beds are comfortable, and the linens are clean,, the staff is friendly as well. but for any stay of 2 or more days i wouldn't recommend. housekeeping services are second rate at best, they never vacuumed the floors, never cleaned the bathroom, all they did was make up the bed, i made coffee in the room. the pot still has coffee in it and they never replaced the filter packs. we had a room with a wirlpool tub. you needed a stepladder to get into it. the shower had the poorest water pressure i have ever seen.. when we approached the staff about the cleaning, they told us it would be taken care of, but it never was

overall i would rate this place about a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1-10, 1 being the lowest 5 average.

• Liked — location was quiet but still nearby everything
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple