“Recommend highly”

Cherokee Indian Reservation
Ranked #9 of 31 things to do in Cherokee
Type:
More attraction details
Owner description: Located adjacent to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and Blue Ridge Parkway, this is home to more than 12,500 members of the Cherokee Indian nation.
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We really enjoyed learning about life as a Cherokee Indian, and the way they built things, and hand crafted everything to live off the land. I really recommend this to everyone in the area. Not a bad ride from Gatlinburg. Well worth the trip, not too expensive. You can buy some of the baskets and other items straight from the Indians.

3  Thank X6722AZchriss
There are newer reviews for Cherokee Indian Reservation

Reviewed June 26, 2014

My husband and I were so excited about going to the Indian Reservation. Upon our arrival into the reservation we were astound by what we saw, a huge tourist trap. A town filled with junky souvenir shops, American food chains and cheesy motels. As we bypassed the commercialized town towards the Indian Village, we were eagerly wanting to see how the Cherokees lived. Boy we were disappointed. First off the ticket prices were expensive for how short the tour was. The Indians were sitting around chomping down on Arbys and Subway. The tour guide spoke to fast and wasn't familiarized with her heritage when asked questions. Some of the elders had problems also answering questions. After our tour was over my husband and I decided to take a walk through the Botanical Garden, another disappointment. The place looked like a bunch of overgrown weeds every where. The worst part was I kept telling my husband I smelled Marijuana. Well seemed I was right we walked a little more up the trail and there was a women from the tribe smoking Marijuana. Regardless of the Marijuana incident we continued through the trail , trying to make the best of it. Shortly after that we left passing by the overpriced gift shop. I would not recommended this trip to anyone, unless you enjoy staying at cheesy motels, buy over priced unauthentic souvenirs. want to get high for free

19  Thank Stephanie B
Reviewed June 23, 2014

My daughters and I visited and started with the museum. Knowing that we are of Cherokee descent made the exhibits, stories, and history of the museum strike a little harder for us. All of us agreed that the displays in the museum were very well done, informative and factual.

The living village was rather expensive for a short trip, but there was so much to see and do, and the docents were all so willing to talk and teach, that you could literally spend an entire day and experience to you soul's content. Sadly we only had a few hours in the afternoon. All of us stood in amazement watching the craftsmen and women engaged in the traditional activities of the Cherokee.

The best part for me, personally, was walking the garden of natural plants and indigenous trees and seeing he names and the uses for the bark, roots, leaves, etc of each. So much science, so much medicine, so much to learn!

10  Thank UnclTrvlngMatt
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

We had a great time. Definitely attend the free bonfire Thursday - Saturday! My advice for you would be avoid the souvenirs made in Mexico! Find the open air market or the store across from the museum where the merchandise is authentic and locally crafted.

13  Thank Apeebuns
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We found the area to be overpriced for what was available. We understand the value of history and education however we also recognize a tourist trap with overpriced attractions. My family are Cherokee as well as Irish, however I was shocked to see the craft items priced well above the value. Many of the crafts for sale are items I have made in the past or currently make - the prices marked were well above an acceptable cost. $250 for a woven place-mat, $1000 for a basket seemed exorbitant as was $20 for a pair of bead earrings. The $20 fee to visit the village is also an overpriced expense. We have traveled this country for 28 years - trips every 2-3 months, we were surprised to see the high prices at this location. The advertisement of great trout fishing and weekly stocking also seemed to be false - the 2 days we fished showed zero catches for us and all others we met on the rivers/streams. Many stated that the stocking had not been done during the week we were there. The rivers are beautiful, fun to swim/float on, relaxing to wade around in. Kids seem to enjoy them. The area is gorgeous, the restaurants are good. Harrahs seems to be the big draw for most. We found the buffet to be average at best. Country Boy BBQ was the best food in the area by far. Accommodations are abundant and range from tent camping to high end luxury. The camp grounds are filled to capacity, large crowds. Motorcycle riding thru the mountains, near the rivers are enjoyable yet somewhat dangerous thanks to the speeders and over sized vehicles crossing to the wrong side of the road. We had mixed feelings about the area but would return to enjoy the rivers and the motorcycle riding.

7  Thank AirForceTraveler