“The Waterfall ride is long but worth it!”

Smokemont Riding Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: Smokemont Riding Stables is located within the Great Smoky Mountains National Park just off US 441, 6 miles north of Cherokee, North Carolina. We offer guided horseback riding trips from one hour to 4 hours long. Each ride is unique and may feature river crossing or waterfall views. We also have a horse drawn wagon ride that goes along the Oconaluftee River on the historic turnpike road.
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We visited Smokemont Riding Stables in June 2013 and did the 2 1/2 hour waterfall ride with our four kids (ages 13 down to 9) and we all loved it! The ride goes through the woods in the National Park, passes a beautiful white chapel, up into the hills and includes a stop with a short hike to a very pretty waterfall tucked into the hills. We truly felt we saw something that not many people get to see. The drive from Gatlinburg was through the National Park and was very pretty. We even had time to stop and do the 1/2 mile hike uphill to Clingman's Dome on the way home. I recommend packing a lunch, however, because there are not really any places to eat near the stable and yo will be hungry when you get off of the horse! The stable does have vending machines with softdrinks and snacks and bathrooms. The staff was great and very easy to deal with. I highly recommend horseback riding through Smokemont Riding Stables.

4  Thank Brtravelgirl
There are newer reviews for Smokemont Riding Stables

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We took a group ranging from 5years old to 63 years old. Very friendly staff. The guides were very friendly . I would recommend again. We will be back next year for a longer ride cant wait

1  Thank Robert A
Reviewed June 10, 2013

When we made the reservations it was supposed to be only 12 miles. After driving 45 minutes thru the most beautiful scenery you could imagine we arrived at Smokemont riding stables. We drove thru Cherokee area, streams, visitor centers, several attractions, shops and picnic areas. Smokemont which is located within the Great Smoky Mountain National park was an incredible experience it was worth the 45 min. drive. We were a total of 4 adults and 4 children, our guides Tim, his son and one other guide took us on a 1 hour tour thru beautiful landscape, a creek and other breathtaking views of the park. The guides always made sure everyone felt comfortable with there horses. They made sure they gave us information on the area we were riding thru. At the end Tim gave the kids horseshoes which put and end to what was an already fantastic experience. during the ride and at the end Tim took picture, this will allow us to always look back and remember a fantastic and incredible day. Thank you to the Smokemont staff we will be back.

2  Thank Angela R
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My husband and I immediately noticed how well kept and clean Smokemont's stables were. Our guide was Tim and he was not only informative but had us laughing the entire 2.5 hour ride! We didn't feel like tourists but like friends heading out for a ride. Thanks Tim for putting us with Pearl and Buster...they were a riot! It truly was the highlight of our trip!

1  Thank Jennifer T
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I have ridden at a number of stables in the National Parks--Yellowstone, Tetons, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion -- and this was one of the best rides I have been on. My nephew and I did the 2 1/2 hour waterfall ride with Tim. Tim was an excellent guide and the horses were great. I am planning to return in the fall and will definitely be booking this ride again.

1  Thank Julia B