“Great camping fun!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cherokee
Yogi in the Smokies
Raleigh, NC
“Great camping fun!”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This was our 2nd year staying at Yogi in the Smokies. We rented out 4 separate cabins and 2 RV sites for our very large family gathering. We love Yogi in the Smokies! It's great family fun with never a dull moment! They offer an arts pavilion for the kids (and adults) to do crafts, watch movies, and play games. There is a basketball court, playground, arcade, pool, tube and bike rentals. And there are activities throughout the day (Hey Hey Rides, Frozen t-shirt contests, cornhole championships, karaoke, etc.). The campground does a really good job of keeping everyone entertained. Although our group travels with lots of young kids we have met several couples over the last two summers that camp there sans kids- just because of location, rates and what the campsite offers. There are RV sites available, cabins (several options), and tent sites (with and without water and electric).

The campground itself is wooded but off a dusty road so all sites including cabins aren't really grassy a little more rocky, which is fine for us but does produce more dust and dirt. All RV and tent sites have a fire ring and cabins have a metal fire drum with grill grate. There is a really nice river that runs alongside the campsite that you can tube down. It takes about 25 minutes to get into town for groceries or beer so make sure you stop there before you arrive! As for the comments about the staff- I will say last year we found the staff to be very unfriendly and almost as if we were an annoyance. This summer everyone seemed a lot more pleasant, they interacted with the guests even more (squirt gun fights with our kids), and were very efficient in sending someone for a maintenance request we had in our cabin. We actually all commented on what a change it was from last summer. I'm glad we gave them another shot. We thought about looking elsewhere but this campground has everything and more that we would be looking for to satisfy such a range of ages- so we've already booked for next year. Thanks Yogi in the Smokies- see you next summer!

Room Tip: Choose one along the river if you don't have small kids- gorgeous views and a little more privac...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ReneeNC

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We took our 3 grandsons to this campground and had a small cabin which was smaller than expected. All the roads were dirt and dusty. Lighting inside the cabin was very dim. The pool was very nice the children enjoyed the interaction with "Yogi & Boo Boo". Campground was quite a distance from the city of Cherokee.

Room Tip: Make certain you ask about the size of the cabins.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Gambyto3
Cherokee
Reviewed July 3, 2012

This was our second and last time at this place. We rented cabins both times because my wife wanted the "campground experience". They are very expensive for what you get and I actually liked the smaller cabin because the larger one (a small RV park model mobile home) was so poorly designed the extra space was wasted anyway. We were also greeted by ants in the cabin. If the "campground experience" means living in a hobo jungle then you can have my space. If you do decide to go don't depend on the WIFI. The first time we were there it didn't work at all and this time it was very slow when it worked.

As campgrounds go maybe this one is OK but for what we spent we could have rented a real cabin on the river somewhere.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Darrell W
Reviewed June 14, 2012

This park claims to be family friendly, but it's not all it cracked up to be. While the programs are very family appropriate, the staff and the fellow campers are not. In this case the unfriendliness and constant "watching your back" you need to do will over ride the cleanliness, programs and amenities. We paid $60 a night, the same cost as a hotel, and did not get that level of customer service. The attitude of the staff is as of you are intruding. They do not want to meet your needs. They want you to sit in your site all day and shut-up. The staff patrol all the time and are not friendly. If your camp is not just as they want to be (something they could put in a brochure) you are approached and barked at. You are not treated with respect or kindness. We have five children, two with special needs, we are very experienced tent campers, and we traveled 8 hours and spent a year saving and planning this trip. We were not welcomed with open arms. We were treated by the staff as an intrusion. We were surrounded by retirees who were unfriendly and quick to gripe. Family friendly, not at all. Want my money back.

• Stayed June 2012
5 Thank AngelaDe
Iowa
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed at the Jellystone park in Cherokee for four nights recently. I had booked on the internet a sleeper cabin. Now, I swear when I booked I reserved a cabin that sleeps seven, which is a DELUXE sleeper cabin. However, I apparently goofed up and booked a regular sleeper cabin (I checked the confirmation email when I got home, and it was indeed a regular one I booked). At check in, we were assigned sleeper cabin #141. Check in went smooth and we were led to the cabin. My heart sank when I saw it. Very tiny, plain, in the middle of the campground right by the main road. Another sleeper cabin right next to it, and a campsite directly on the other side. No privacy whatsoever. We unlocked the door, and I was disappointed to see it just had one double bed and one set of bunk beds, all crammed in one tiny room. Technically, the sleeper cabin only sleeps four, so I'm surprised their on-line system even let me book it since we are a family of five. I went back up to the office, and asked if they had any deluxe sleeper cabins available instead. Fortunately, they did. I paid the extra $100 total it cost to upgrade, and they gave us cabin #93.

Cabin #93 was much, much, much better than the first cabin. We loved it. It's located back in the woods behind the playground area. You take a dead-end gravel road to get to it, so there is no through traffic. Only four cabins total are on the road, and none of the other ones were occupied when we there. It was great! It's very wooded back there too, so even if the cabins are full I think you would still feel like you had privacy. It was just a short walk (literally a few yards) to the bathhouse down the hill. The playground, basketball court, and activity center was just yards away also. I let my kids (ages 9,9,8) run down to the playground, activity center, and bathhouse by themselves since we were so close.

The bathouse was always spotlessly clean. A huge bonus, the bathrooms are all private! There were four in our bathhouse, each had a toilet, mirror, sink, and garbage in it. I saw two other bathhouses in the campground, plus there were bathrooms near the pool area. The showers were nice too; private with a small changing area. We had four showers in our bathhouse. We never had to wait for a shower or bathroom, but the campgroud was 3/4 empty (weeknights, end of May) when we were there. I'm not sure what it would be like when the campground is full.

The cabin had a picnic table and fire pit and water spigot outside. A screened porch with four chairs and small table. Inside, it had two rooms. The front room had a queen sized bed, night stands, lamp, and cable TV (kids were thrilled with the TV). Back room has two sets of bunk beds, one with a double bed on the bottom. Heating and air conditioning. Very clean. You can also get a linen package for an additional fee, but we just brought our sleeping bags from home.

We found the campground staff to be very friendly and helpful, in particular the ones who worked in the activity center.

Tons of things for kids to do here, especially the 10 and under crowd. Nice playground with separate toddler play area. Big, clean pool. River to wade in; although if the campground is full you may have a hard time getting to the river: there is no "public" river access for campers, and you probably don't want to be cutting across other people's sites. Best bet is to get a river site/cabin if you want river access. Basketball court and tetherball. Yogi and/or friends comes out at least once a day, more on the weekends. Hey, hey wagon ride with Yogi (you can meet him afterwards for photos). Activity center open every day, even "off season" like when we were there. Kids can buy pottery to paint, and all sorts of crafty things. For free they had coloring pages and a pine cone bird feeder for them to make. Also Yogi cartoons play all day in the center. Games such as bean bag toss too. Every night (again, even off season) they play on family-friendly movie in the center. Weekends bring things such as scavenger hunts, water wars, candy bar bingo. Arcade with quite a few games. Hike to Mingo falls. Bike rentals. Volleyball net. You could never leave the campground all week and the kids would still find plenty to do.

If you do venture out from the campground (and we did every day, to see the National park and other sights), it's a good fifteen minute drive along a somewhat curvy road into Cherokee. The road runs alongside the river, so it is a pretty drive. There is a gas station along the road a few miles away. Also the parking lot for Mingo Falls is along this road. Don't be alarmed like I first was when you're driving into the campground and see the entance. The neighbors live right at the entrance, and they have several ramshackle homes and a trailer, literally with garbage and clothing strewn all over the lawn. It really did give me pause when we pulled it, and dh made the comment, "We aren't letting the kids go anywhere by themselves here!". However, the campground itself is very nice and safe.

Room Tip: Cabins 90-93 are tucked in the woods behind the playground and more private. If you want river acces...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank kren250
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We visited in April and it rained the whole time...and there are NO REFUNDS for bad weather, but our 8 person cabin rental (for 4) was very nice and clean. We stayed in cabin 47 designated for pets and it was very nice. We DID have a problem with ants in the loft and my teens didn't like that one bit, but guess things like that happen with nature. They lent us a can of ant spray to use. The worst thing is there is NO CELLPHONE SERVICE there! There IS internet service, but they didn't give us or even offer us, a passcode so we could use it. When I went to the office it was closed! (it closes at 6pm) How was someone supposed to get a hold of us in case of an emergency, if the office is closed? The following day, I was holding my 4 pound puppy when I went started to walk into the office to get a passcode and the lady literally screamed at me that I wasn't allowed to bring my dog into the store! (it wasn't like I could've 'called' them for the passcode) Geeze, the pup was probably cleaner than her! (and I was paying extra for the pup to be there) They need access to the office 24/7 in a place like that. If they are going to charge hotel rates, they should act like one. May return when it's warmer, very picturesque.

Room Tip: check the website for a site map
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Halobabe99
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Yogis is ok as long as you dont have a problem. The staff is rude and uncaring. They really do not like children and should not be in a business that deals with children. The area is nice but the KOA campsite right next door has more to offer and charges less. The office left early forcing us to drive 20 miles to get supplies. They promised WI-Fi and there was not any available. They had contruction going on and cut down trees at 8 am so much for a peaceful vacation.

Room Tip: Only camp here if you have a small tent as the sites are too small to have a fire and a 6-8 person t...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family