“great frunt desk/lobby”

Chestnut Tree Inn Cherokee
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
Reviewed November 15, 2008

stayed there nove 6th-8th .stayed in rm 135 room was not fit to stay in ,did not have other choice only other rm was on second level,could not stay on second level because i am handi capped. room had spider webs on celing and on curtains,stains on walls and bath tub although the sheets and pillow cases were clean i am not sure about the bed spread. i dont think i would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 16, 2008

We were booked by Harrah's for our stay in September, and when asked for a credit card or cash deposit, I questioned this because the room was being paid for by Harrah's. The clerk indicated it was for "incidentals", such as long distance phone calls, or trashing the room. I explained that we were Senior Citizens and were there only to sleep and had our own cell phones. The required card or deposit was waived for us. When we went back on October 15th, the request was made again for a deposit, and that it was "a policy of Harrah's". I refused, because this was waived before and why not now? We went to Harrah's and spoke to someone in authority who informed us this was not a Harrah's policy and phoned the Holiday Inn to get them to waive the deposit. After waiting for 1/2 hour to get a response, which we did not get, we left for the long drive home.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2008

The room was nice and clean and the staff friendly, just what one expects but rarely receives. Not a single issue to speak of. The hotel itself is located just outside the high traffic areas of the city, a real plus if you are staying during the 4th of July weekend.

The real attraction of this hotel is the restaurant. In the eight years I've been in this state, this is the best one I've found to date. I have high standards when it comes to food quality and service and this one really raises the bar. Excellent meals, friendly and responsive servers, just a great dining experience. I would recommend eating here regardless of where you choose to stay in Cherokee.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 3, 2008

We stayed there in the dead of winter cause it is close by to us (within 100 miles) and they have an indoor pool. The pool was clean and the hot tub next to it was HOT! The room was in good shape, but then again this is not a brand new hotel. I believe it was about $75 with AAA card. I will stay here again, at least in the off-season.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2007

We chose this hotel, because my parents stay here when they visit the casino. It was awful. My 4 year old son was looking forward to swimming, only to find out the pool was not heated, even though I was told several times it was. The ice machine on the second floor is broken. The room was average, and the employees are not friendly. We had made a comment that we could not believe that it is raining, because we had several things planned outdoors and a cleaning lady yelled at us to stop [--] about the rain, because we need it. First of all, we were not complaing because I know we needed the rain and second of all-why was she in our business!!!!!! The only good experience was when we checked out. The man that checked us out was friendly. We had breakfast in the restaurant only to be served cold eggs, bacon, and french toast. The waitresses were either to old to be working or looked like they were 12. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and will not stay here again!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank cody03
Reviewed November 1, 2007

Our original plans were to stay from Monday, October 8th, checking out Tuesday, October 15th. I personally called ahead of making our reservation and spoke to an assistant manager regarding their pet policy to clarify and to get permission to have our (4) toy dogs with us. I was told that the pet policy was to charge $25 non-refundable deposit per stay, and was told that four small dogs, all weighing less than 20 lbs. would be O.K. I did not however, verify the name of the gentleman that I spoke with.

I also, called ahead to change our reservation to check-in Tuesday, October 9th. When we checked-in, we asked about the refrigerator and microwave which the web site indicated were available upon request. I was told that it was too late and that we would have to check with the morning desk personnel. When we got to the room, I was very unhappy with the lack of drawer space or hangers available for a 1 week stay as well as the stains on the carpet which made the room seem very unclean, but my husband told me that he didn’t feel it was that bad and that he didn’t want to change hotels. The next morning (Wed.) I again inquired about the refrigerator and microwave, explaining that we were promised and that we were diabetic and were abruptly told that there were only (2) two on the property and that they would let housekeeping know of our request. Later that afternoon, my husband asked again at the front desk and was told that they didn’t know where they were, but that they would try to locate one. He then asked again the next morning (Thurs) and was given a different, but similar excuse. On Wednesday and Thursday, we left the Do Not Disturb sign on the door because we did not want housekeeping to be in the room while we were not there with the dogs. On Friday, we took the dogs with us and were gone from about 10 am – 7 pm. When we returned, there was a letter left on the door by the manager, Mr. Steven J. Luchik, accusing us of having 5 dogs in the room, one of which was large and supposedly attempted to bite the housekeeper while she serviced the room that day and instructed us to remove three of the dogs or leave the hotel. I immediately went down to the front desk to discuss the matter. The young man I spoke with stated that he was aware of the situation and that we would have to put (3) dogs in the car if we planned to stay. We spent the next several hours trying to get a room elsewhere, but the hotels were all full. One hotel we checked said that their pet policy accepted any pet as long as it would fit through the door (elephants and giraffes probably wouldn’t count) and they did not have any fees, but they were full. It was so late that it would have been well after midnight for us to relocate, if there was a room available. We then called Holiday Inn Guest Relations and spoke to Michelle, who told us that we could all stay the night and talk with the Manager the next day. Upset, my husband wanted to just get in the car and drive, because he didn’t think he could sleep anyway. Crying and upset, I started cleaning stains on the carpet that were there when we arrived afraid that we would be accused of being responsible for them. The next morning we finished packing and I went to the desk to ask to speak to Mr. Steven J. Luchik, who had signed the letter, but he was not in yet. I happened to notice a sign on the front desk regarding their pet policy and it mentioned the different fees that they would charge, but there was NO mention of the number or size of pets permitted at the hotel. I then asked to speak to an Asst. Manager and Tony, the head of housekeeping came down to meet with me. During our conversation, Tony seemed surprised at the fact that we were unable to get a refrigerator and microwave and indicated they had far more than two on the property and that we should have never been told that there were none available. He said that he told someone to bring them to our room, and apologized for not following up. He then seemed a bit confused about the facts about the number of dogs in the room and the accusation that the housekeeper was almost bitten and couldn’t seem to account for how the facts got so distorted, but apologized and said that he would speak to Mr. Luchik when he arrived. I told him how I had gotten down on my hands and knees to clean spots on the carpet and he could only apologize and say that I shouldn’t have felt that way. I then mentioned that I had seen signs in several places in the hotel stating that satisfaction was guaranteed and that the hotel would make it right or you didn’t have to pay. When Mr. Luchik called us on the phone, we discussed the matter at length. I asked him about the sign on the front desk regarding their pet policy which did NOT mention anything about the number or size of dogs allowed and his excuse was that they couldn’t’ fit everything on the sign. I then stated that we were extremely insulted over the many lies and distortions of the truth and that we expected to have our stay compensated, but his counter offer was to give us a coupon for a future nights stay. We assured him that we would never be returning and he said that he would not charge us for Friday night. I was really tired of arguing at this point and stated that I would be more than happy to place my comments on travel web sites all across the internet and he then accused me of threatening him and he became hostel. We said that we would take the matter up with Holiday Inns' guest relations and ended the call. I called and asked that a copy of the bill be faxed to me today, and we were charged for all four nights.

The Thompsons, Columbus, Ohio

P.S. On 10/17 my account was credited $88.67 for one night’s stay. This would be the amount for a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, but not the Friday night’s stay, which was the night which we spent the entire evening trying to resolve this issue and packing to leave. I still maintain that there were signs posted in the hotel which stated that if a guest is dissatisfied, either the management would make it right or the guest would not have to pay. Our vacation was ruined by the lies of the staff and the harsh actions of the management.

Further contact with Holiday Inns Guest Relations has only resulted in an offer of $30 in coupons for their hotels.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ScootColumbusOH
Reviewed June 17, 2007

We stayed here for one night to and from our vacation in South Carolina. On our way down, I figured if I was not happy with the hotel, I had time to change to a different one on our way back. We have 3 kids, 10, 4 and 2. The bathrooms were clean the room was nice. I was a bit outdated, but this hotel is in the middle of an indian reservation, it's in a real cool spot and very nice people at the front desk..........although the resturant staff could have been a little more polite a few times.....the food was good. Especially the Chicken Ceaser Salad. VERY GOOD! Anyway, the pool indoors is in the 2nd building and the outdoor is next to the 1st building. If I ever went back to Cherokee, or needed a place to stay while passing through, I would go back. Which is what we did. We were pleased with the first night, the following week when we passed through again, we kept our 2nd reservation and had a good experience again. This is a very quiet hotel, helpful front desk staff just nestled outside the Smokey Mountain National Park. It's just the kind of place I was looking for on our way to the beach and I found it. I hope you have just as good of stay as we did!

• Stayed: June 2007