“Fine” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
thompskr
“Fine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2008

The hotel is right across from the casino's parking lot. You could walk to it and catch Harrah's free shuttle to the door or drive to it, park for free and then catch the shuttle. The hotel also has its own shuttle to the casino leaving at specified times throughout the day, ending at 11 pm. I personally wouldn't recommend walking to the casino's entrance, as it's a bit far and there's construction taking place.

My overall experience was fine. The decor is outdated, and there were problems with the room that -although they didn't put a real damper in my stay- didn't speak highly of the cleaning/maintenance staff either. The towel rod in the bathroom was falling off the wall, as was the outside casing for the AC/heat. There was a black substance -mold?- growing around the AC/heating unit as well. I also found a piece of floss in one of the drawers, and a work table in the room was kind of sticky.

I wouldn't completely dismiss this property, but I will likely try another establishment the next time I'm in Cherokee.

• Liked — proximity to area attractions
  • Disliked — maintenance problems, some issues with cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank thompskr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Zephyrhills, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2008

After checking prices on different sites on the Internet, I opted to call the hotel directly and actually booked a better price. We wanted to visit Harrah's casino and find a close and reasonable hotel to stay in for the night. The hotel property is clean and accomodating. We had a room with 2 queen beds. It had a microwave and a very small coffee pot. The beds were comfortable and the water pressure in the shower was great. The hotel is located across from the casino, or should I say across the street from the very end of their parking lot (which is huge). We opted to drive over to the casino & park in their lot. I am not sure if they had shuttle service from the hotel to the casino as it was not mentioned at check in nor was it in any of the hotel literature in the room. The staff at the check in desk could have been a bit more eager to help us, not to say we had any problems with them, but they could have presented themselves a bit more friendly (this would have boosted my opinion of the place up a notch). There was a continental breakfast in the a.m. that consisted of juices, coffee, muffins, bagels and a make your own waffle station. Overall, the stay was pleasant & probably would stay again if we were to visit.

• Liked — It was relatively inexpensive and rooms were clean and beds comfortable.
  • Disliked — Although across from the casino (more like the parking lot), it is not exactly a few steps to their front door as we perceived from the Internet.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank jeepchickzhills
Inman, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2008

Stayed with our two teenage children, Staff friendly and helpful, high speed internet worked very well, rooms clean and well maintained. Easy walking distance to the casino
Breakfast nothing special but well kept and had a variety of items.
We would stay there again.

• Liked — good location for casino, easy to find
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Charlotte, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2008

This hotel was a disappointment, and I certainly wasn't expecting the Ritz. First problem, our reservation was screwed up, and I even went to the trouble of calling the hotel to book it. I asked for 2 non-smoking rooms on an upper floor because it was just me and a girlfriend and don't want ground floor. They has us down for 1 room. After that was straightened out the guy handed us keys to first floor rooms which I promptly handed back and asked for a higher floor. He said all he could offer was 2nd floor (there were 4 floors). Trust me, this place wasn't sold out. So we took it and thanked God for it.

They advertise that they are across the street from the casino and have a shuttle. What they don't tell you is they are across a 4 lane highway and considerably down that highway from the main entrance to the casino, the entrance being a considerable distance from the casino building itself. So we're thinking no problem, we'll just take the shuttle, which I had confirmed on the phone ran every odd hour until 11pm. Yeah right. They also don't tell you that they can only provide the shuttle if there's more than one person working the desk. We arrived about 4:30 and the guy said the earliest the shuttle would go would be 7pm. So we climb back in the car and use more expensive gas to drive across the road because the hotel can't live up to its promises.

The only bright spots were the bed was really comfortable and the shower was great, excellent water pressure and the strongest shower head I've ever found in a hotel. Was able to wash my hair without spending half an hour rinsing out the soap.

Will definitely never stay here again, the Holiday Inn Express and Fairfield Inn ARE actually directly across from the casino buildng and an easy walk.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Cherokee hotels

mountainking_68
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2008

This hotel was the cleanest and nices establishment I have ever stayed at. The beds were remarkable and the services was great. I really felt at home the front desk clerks were very nice. If you need just a place to get away this is the place.

• Liked — The Beds were excellent we were told they were pillow top mattresses
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2008

My brother and I went for one night, just to go to the casino. When we arrived we asked for a smoking room (my brother, in from Afghanistan, had made the reservations online.) We were told they didn't have any smoking rooms available. As my brother was signing for the check in, a couple came in and asked for a smoking room. "We have a King bed or two queens that are smoking rooms." (lie# 1)

We took the luggage to the room, immediately came back and asked when the shuttle to the casino would run. "It runs at 5. He hasn't left yet so wait outside". We waited about 5 minutes when a van pulled up. We asked if he was the shuttle to the casino and he said yes and he would be leaving at 7. (lie# 2)

When we checked out, my brother explained to the manager on duty what happened and he said "So?"

Lastly, the mattress I slept on was horrible. I could feel the springs in my back, no matter where I laid. However, my brother said his bed was fine.

• Liked — Proximity to casino
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Georgeanna
Mansfield,OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2007

My stay was comped by the casino. I was impressed with the landscaping and everything was satisfactory. Then I received my credit card bill-it stated an $87.00 charge by them. So I called to see what it was for. The manager said that they had tried to contact me-but my caller id and answering machine never showed that they had tried to call me. He said the charge was for a small hole that had been burned in a bedspread. I explained to him that we were in a non-smoking room and neither I or my daughter had even used the bedspreads. We always strip them off the beds when we arrive in a motel room and just use the sheets and blankets. He told me that a couple managers checked and the bedspread was damaged-and that waswhat I was charged for. There was not much I could do about that. Has anyone else ever had this problem? I guess we have to check all the bedspreads when we arrive in a room from now on.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family