“This hotel should be called Charlotte Airport Smoketree Hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Charlotte Airport
Ranked #66 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
NC
“This hotel should be called Charlotte Airport Smoketree Hotel”
Reviewed January 9, 2012

We came into town to have a family holiday visit and needed a place to stay overnight. I used Priceline to find a hotel room bidding $50 for the night for a 3 or 4 star hotel [which after fees and taxes ended up being $68] in the areas of Southpark and Executive Park. I could not get acceptance until I included the airport area, then the Doubletree Charlotte Airport was my prize. The pictures looked fairly nice and it wasn't too hard to find, however, I will never stay here again and I will be cautious using Priceline in the future.

When we arrived at the hotel it was around 11 pm. The two honey badgers at the front desk checked us in with a bored nonchalance and handed us two packages with our warm welcome cookies. The lobby was nondescript and smelled faintly of cigarette smoke. We were given a key to a king room on the first floor and headed around the corner and down the hall to look for it. On the way, we passed a group of college-aged guys loudly commenting on how "this place smells like a nursing home." I disagreed at that point, thinking, "actually it smells like a bar." As we walked down the 100 hall, the smell of smoke was incredibly strong. Apparently this hotel prides itself on a large number of smoking rooms and they have located, at least on this hall, the smoking and non-smoking rooms on the very same hall- I know, brilliant, right?

When we entered our room there was temporary relief from the smoke smell that was so strong in the hall, that was only temporary however, and we realized that there was no escaping the smell of smoke in this hotel, at least not on the first floor. Well, actually, that is not true since you could escape the smell of smoke by placing your face into the sheets or pillows on the bed but then you were confronted with the smell the guys in the hall had talked of since the linens did have the odor of nursing home. So, the choices were basically 'bar' or 'nursing home.' Room 145 was standard Hilton family fare, only scruffier and smellier. The chair in the corner was ratty and torn with stuffing coming out and stray threads hanging here and there. There was a large stain on the carpet [probably chocolate because those cookies were oozing chocolate that got all over our hands]. Behind the sheers we could see the courtyard and pool area well lit by floodlights positioned on the ground and pointed toward our room. When we went to close the heavier lined drapes we found they were not designed to pull over the sheers and were only decorative side drapes. This was disturbing, because if we could see out into the courtyard, certainly someone out there could see in. Also, once we turned off the lights and went to bed the room was flooded with unnatural and jarring light.

In closing, our sleep was not optimal and was interrupted by glaring light and sinus issues exacerbated by all of the smoke in this hotel. DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE SMELL OF CIGARETTE SMOKE! Overall, we had a good rate but did not get a great night's sleep.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank kimmstree
Karen S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Charlotte Airport, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
We are truly sorry to hear of your unpleasant experience while staying at our hotel. We are currently reviewing the location of our smoking rooms and researching solutions to eliminate the smoking odor. I also apologize that you were not able to locate the black out curtains which certainly would have made sleeping much easier. We appreciate you notifying us of these issues so that we can correct them. Thank you again. Karen Sullivan, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Wayensboro, VA
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Stayed here for two nights in room 121. The room was very nice and spacious. It was a one bedroom suite that was given to me as an upgrade. It appears that the rooms have been updated recently, but the rest of the property leaves somewhat less to be desired. Lobby is VERY small and hallways are awkward and smokey in some parts. They could probably update the halls and common areas, however I know it's expensive to do such. The place was clean though and everyone was pleasant. Thanks to Michelle for assisting me with my reservation! My pre-arrival experience was very interesting, however the stay once I was there made up for the oddities.

The only things I noted, and they are minor things, was while the room was clean and fresh, it seems housekeeping forgot to pick up the last guests used Q-tip from beside the TV stand in the room and I did find some stray hairs in the towels. Also, I noticed dishes and room service trays stayed in the hallways for extended periods of time.

Other then those few minor things, I enjoyed the stay and I would definitely recommend the property to others.

• Stayed December 2011
Karen S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Charlotte Airport, responded to this review, December 27, 2011
Thank you so much for your recent comments regarding our hotel. We are pleased that you had a great stay and that you received wonderful service while at our property. We have made many upgrades to our guest rooms and we are happy that you found that appealing. The public areas and hallways will be undergoing a "facelift" in 2012, so we hope that you will return to see the additional renovations.

Thanks again for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We appreciate your business and hope to see you in 2012.

Happy New Year!

Karen Sullivan, General Manager
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I have stayed at the Doubletree a few times when I am in Charlotte and it is always my first choice of hotels. I think it is one of the few hotels that offer 24 hour shuttle from the airport which is important since I sometimes arrive after midnight. My shuttle arrived within 10 minutes of me calling when my plane landed which gave me just enough time to get from the terminal. The driver informed me that the restaurant closed at 11 but that there were places that would deliver nearby. That was kind of her to mention that although I didn't need it once I got to the hotel and received the warm cookie at check in. Perfect night cap! My room was king size, just like I ordered. The bed was so comfortable and the room was spotless.

I had breakfast in the restaurant and there were alot of options on the buffet and then the server told me that I could also get a cook to order omelet or french toast. That was a nice touch to the buffet.

The company I was visiting was just a couple of blocks away but since it was raining, the front desk offered the hotel shuttle service to take me free. Again, great service from the staff. I ended up staying a few days and the shuttle took me to and from the office each day.

One night I ate at the hotel in the lounge, and the bartender was extremely nice and interesting to talk to. They had a sea bass special and it was the best I have ever had. The next night, I walked to the strip mall and had dinner at the sub shop. It was right at the corner of the hotel's parking lot and it had 4 or 5 restaurants to choose from. Again, not many airport hotels have restaurants within walking distance so it was nice to have other options than the hotel restaurant.

All in all, one of my favorite hotels to stay and I will stay the next time I come to Charlotte because the staff is one of the best. I also saved money because I ended up not needing to rent a car.
The only downside that I saw was that you had to pay for internet. However, I was using my internet in the lounge when I had dinner and I took it back to my room and it stayed connected so I ended up not having to pay. I don't know why it is free in the lounge but not in the room, but my company picks up the charge so I would have paid anyway.

I have stayed at another Hilton property that has an atrium and I was surprised at how much quieter the Doubletree was and didn't have the kids running around.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Karen S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Charlotte Airport, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding the DoubleTree by Hilton Charlotte Airport. It is always pleasant to hear positive comments regarding our hotel and staff. I will certainly pass these comments along to our team. I do agree that our staff is one of the best and our location has many conveniences for the traveler.

We hope to see you again in the near future if your travels bring you back to Charlotte.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 10, 2011

The Hotel is a little off the beaten path in a very quite neighborhood, plenty of free parking.
It is an an older property but it is well maintained. They do have a shuttle for airport service.
ed
Check in was very smooth was told of all the amenities.I was asked if i needed help with my luggae but declined.
An ofcourse I was given a warm cookie and 2 bottles of water who dosent love that !
The room was nice, it was on the first floor, what I like about the room is that they have a slideing glass door that lets you enter there centre courtyard from your room makeing it very nice to go out side and get some fresh air or let the dog out to potty. I travel with a service animal so this was a huge plus for me.

The room was fresh and clean and the bathroom was a little larger than most standard bathrooms I have seen in the Doubletree chain.
Bed sheets were clean and fresh and the room smelled just fine.
Front desk called my room to make sure everything was ok and I really thought that was a nice touch.
They have a gym and a full service resturant and bar, the food is just avarage and not that great.
Just across the street there is a fantictic strip mall with about 5 resturants that are great to walk to.One of them is called Nana's Soul Food YUMMY be sure you try it.
I really dont have anything to bad to say about this property for me it was just fine, yes its a bit older for most doubletree's but it has a certain charm thats nice.
There is an outside pool thats gated and a nice gym so you can get your work out on!
The staff was always pleaseant to me and accomidateing.
All in all it was clean and quite and I recieved good customer service.
The web connections are a bit slow but they did not charge me for it so I cant really complaine about it.
Buisness center is a little small and only had one working computer but I assume they will fix that.
I found the parking lot to be well lit and quite safe.
I got this room from priceline and felt it was a fair rate for what I got

Room Tip: rooms on the first floor has a slideing glass patio door to the out side court yard
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank borgoutpost
Karen S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Charlotte Airport, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Thank you so much for your comments on Trip Advisor in regards to the DoubleTree by Hilton Charlotte Airport. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit at our hotel and that you found our hotel friendly, clean, and well maintained. Many of our travelers enjoy the first floor rooms that enter into the courtyard as well as the dining options that are within walking distance.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments. We hope that the next time your travels bring you back to Charlotte, we will be your first choice of hotel accommodations.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

This was a horrible experience. Beds in both rooms were dirty. One room, tub was dirty. Had a huge ring around tub. Yuck! Front desk lady was rude and didnt want to refund money. I would not stay here again. It is only fit for drug addicts who do not care where they lay their heads.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank obgary
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your recent stay was at our hotel. It saddened me to read that your stay did not meet your expectations and rightfully so. Please know that I have addressed both the front desk staff and housekeeping department to ensure that these problems are rectified. Thanks again for notifying us so that we can make the appropriate changes.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I travel every other week for business and pride myself on picking good hotels near the airport. Waited about 25 min for the shuttle...then when it finally arrived driver advised we had to wait on an airline crew so we decided to go get a cab to the hotel instead, not a good start, then noticed the room seemed a bit musty/dingy but it was late and just for 1 night so I did not request to be moved to another room. The next day I noticed some small bites extremely itchy on my ankles and legs, have never had anything like this in all the time I have been traveling heavy for business the past 8 years. It must have been from this stay and I have contacted Hilton to let them know what I suspect. This hotel does not seem very old but it definitely needs more attention to cleanliness. I expect a call from this hotel's manager as I have been in touch with Hilton Customer Care already. Just FYI.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Jonathan H Y
Karen S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Charlotte Airport, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
It was a pleasure speaking to you on the telephone and I appreciate you taking the time to inform me of a potential bug problem in your room. As I mentioned, we did have our pest control company do a thorough investigation of the room that you stayed in while at our property and they did NOT find any type of bug in the room. When we get a report such as yours, we take it very seriously and have it checked out very quickly.

We are in the process of updating some areas of our hotel to give it it a fresh look. I hope that you will return soon to see the amazing changes that will be taking place in the next 6 months.

Thanks again for your response. Karen Sullivan, General Manager
Mauldin
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Upon our arrival to the hotel we were not greeted by the front desk and were not asked if we needed assistance with our luggage. At 3:00pm we waited for over thirty minutes for a room because we were told that they were waiting for clearance from housekeeping. Within that thirty minutes several other guests checked in, and were promptly given rooms, we had to remind the front desk staff why we were waiting. They seldomly addressed us, and when they did, we were addressed as "these people".

As far as the smell of our room, the carpet was old and soiled, and there was a smell of smoke coming from the drapes/curtains.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Avery M
Thank you so much for taking the time to offer details regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Please know that as a management team, we take all comments very seriously and use each one to improve upon our service.

I apologize for the wait that you encountered while checking into our hotel as well as the unfriendliness from our front desk staff. Please know that I have addressed both the housekeeping and front desk team with your issues so that we can eliminate these issues in the future. Thanks again and we hope to see you in the near future so that you can experience the true level of service that our regular guests have come to expect and enjoy. Karen Sullivan, General Manager